PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted file

battye
14th March 2010, 02:57 AM
A movie file I downloaded (a torrent) was corrupted... I guess a trojan or some sort of spyware/adware thing. When I played it in VLC the movie was only 17 seconds long and said a fake error message about the wrong codec. I tried in Quicktime, nothing happened. Obviously the file was a fake, so I deleted it.

I'm guessing it was a Windows thing, I Googled around a bit and found that had a Windows user opened it in Windows Media Player then it may have opened a browser window allowing all sorts of nasty stuff to happen.

I just wanted to make sure that opening this file in VLC and Quicktime on Mac OS X (Leopard) would do nothing bad to my computer?

Thanks

MacDave
14th March 2010, 06:36 AM
I just wanted to make sure that opening this file in VLC and Quicktime on Mac OS X (Leopard) would do nothing bad to my computer?

Thanks

Highly unlikely as there are no known viruses on OS X and in general, it's a rock solid operating system. That being said, one should always backup well and as a tip for examining downloaded files, you can run the Terminal command "file" like so:

[Loki:~] dave% file /Users/dave/Desktop/my_true_love.mov
/Users/dave/Desktop/my_true_love.mov: ISO Media, Apple QuickTime movie

In other words, type the word "file" without quotes, enter a space, then drag a file to the Terminal window and hit "return."

Dave

battye
14th March 2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks MacDave, that is a good tip - will do that from now on! :)