PDA

View Full Version : WD ShareSpace 4TB NAS & iTunes

justjack
13th March 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate thread; I couldn't see any others along this line.

I have just purchased a WD ShareSpace NAS which is 4 drives with a "4TB" capacity. It is default setup with RAID5 and following the load of the drive on my iMac, I have lost over 1TB to cater for RAID5.

I bought this as I was advised it was a great way to expand my storage (I currently use a WD MyBook which has under 20GB left) and should allow me to refer iTunes to a folder that will bridge over these drives giving me much more room for my library and give me breathing room for a few years.

I have it connected via Ethernet to my AEBS and my iTunes streams to my ATV as well. My collection is growing and whilst I would be devastated if there was total loss, I can utilise the 1TB MyBook to backup my most favourite media files.

I've had Ex HDD for some time and (knock on wood) I've not had any dramas, thus I feel reasonably confident that failure risk is low. 2.7 TB is a lot of space but I don't want to be stuck in the future sooner than expected and being not able to strip back the RAID for the complete erasure of data.

The iTunes Server is pointless because it only shares music files and I have Music, Music Videos, TV Shows & Movies all in my iTunes library (mainly mp4, mp3 and m4v files).

Can anyone offer any advise please as to whether I should suck up the loss and stick with RAID5 or try to claw back space by reducing down to say RAID0?

TIA

Simon

snark
13th March 2010, 07:15 PM
RAID0 gives the best performance, but has lower reliability than any other configuration, including RAID5.
With RAID0, if ANY disk dies, you're stuffed. With a 4-disk array, your reliability is about one quarter of that of a single disk.

I would only run RAID0 if I had a pressing need for high performance AND all my data was mirrored somewhere else.

tcn33
13th March 2010, 07:19 PM
I've just set up my Synology DS410j in the same configuration (4x1TB in RAID5 = 2.7TB). Having lost entire drives before, the redundancy is worth the loss of space to me.

justjack
14th March 2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys... Decided to suck it up! Now comes the long wait of data transfer... 200GB down and still "about 18 hours" to go!