PDA

View Full Version : Macs eventually unable to connect to SMB shares

Bogus Jimmy
13th March 2010, 06:28 PM
I have my TV shows & movies on a Windows 7 box (I call it my server) setup with SMB shares for each type (i.e. "TV", "Movies", "Completed Downloads", etc).

I can connect to that machine fine via Finder - Finder: Go > Connect to Server then "smb://server" then selecting the SMB share from the list. It's then mounted and I can get back to that drive easily from then on.

Eventually (and it might be after anywhere from 1 to 10 days of uptime) I can't connect to that SMB shares on that machine anymore from my MacBook Pro. After I restart it works fine again for a few more days but eventually the same problem occurs (I might only grab stuff off the the server every few days so I can never be sure when the problem has been triggered).

My partner's MacBook also has the same problem (both running 10.6.2) but she connects to the server only once every few weeks. I also have another Windows 7 box as a HTPC that connects to those same SMB shares without any problems (and this box would be connecting to the server at least once a day).

Any ideas why both Macs inevitably stop being able to connect to the SMB shares?

vecsty
13th March 2010, 07:37 PM
when it fails, what do you see in console ?

Bogus Jimmy
13th March 2010, 07:40 PM
Hadn't thought of that. Will have a look next time. :thumbup:

dangelovich
13th March 2010, 08:07 PM
Use the IP address instead of the server name and see if the issue stops.
The server name is most likely resolving with WINS, which I've found to be horribly problematic. When it comes to referencing servers, its got to be either IP or DNS.

bartron
13th March 2010, 08:08 PM
also, try cifs:// instead of smb://

Bogus Jimmy
13th March 2010, 08:18 PM
Use the IP address instead of the server name and see if the issue stops.

Have tried this before. Still doesn't connect.

also, try cifs:// instead of smb://

Will try this (next time it stops working).

JimWOz
14th March 2010, 06:25 AM
Make sure the server has a static IP address.
If it is being automatically assigned by DHCP, and you are powering down the router occasionally, it could get a different IP assigned.

Bogus Jimmy
14th March 2010, 08:41 AM
All my machines have a static IP (well, reserved via MAC address on my AEBS).

Bogus Jimmy
15th March 2010, 07:11 PM
Ok, so it happened again. (Can't connect via IP either).

Here is the console:

15/03/10 8:02:27 PM kernel smbfs_smb_lookup: smbfs_smb_qpathinfo error = 60

I've googled the the error and get a lot of results but no answers. Looks like it might be common and might even have no fix.

rofl
22nd October 2010, 07:43 AM
Its only happened to me twice in recent memory and I am getting the error in console as the OP.

I also cant disconnect the network share if i try. Clicking the eject arrow in the Finder sidebar has no effect and the the main window in Finder just says 'connecting' at the top all the time and never connects.

More interesting behaviour to note.

I was trying to force unmount the share from terminal. using either

sudo umount -f /Volumes/{sharename}
or

sudo diskutil umount /Volumes/{sharename}
and if it type the first letter of the share and try to use Tab Completion to complete the share name, my Terminal session hangs and i have to close the Terminal window and open a new one to get it responding again. If I type the full share path with out Tab Completion it it doesnt hang at the same point but hangs after i type my system password in and it attempts to unmount the share.

Trying to force quit Finder in a vain attempt to free things up and get them moving again results in a

The Application Finder cannot be opened -10810

I am getting a lot of errors in my console logs like the one below but I'm not sure if its related. Where in the example it says 'CoreServicesUIAg' that changes a lot, to all different executables and services.

22/10/10 8:37:20 AM kernel CoreServicesUIAg (map: 0x7a4b854) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0x7a4b854, region 0x7fff82800000->0x7fff82a00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.

Is anyone else getting similar behaviour?