PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 Died???

harps
13th March 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm unable to start up my 12" G4 PowerBook.:(
It goes through the start up process, states Mac OS X is starting up, then the screen is goes a blank blue! I can move the mouse cursor around but thats it!
Any suggestions on how I get it to fire up?
I last used it a fortnight ago and had no problems.
We're going on a holiday tomorrow and plan was to take it along to use.
Wife's a bit distressed as doesn't know how would cope without internet access for a week.
I suggested might have to buy another one and she didn't dismiss it.
I wanted to wait for the iPad to be released but may have to do something sooner.

harps
13th March 2010, 06:41 PM
Wife is now not so keen on buying a new MacBook when I told her the price!

Any suggestions re a key combination to start it up?

harps
13th March 2010, 08:08 PM
It's just started up and all appeared fine except there was no icon's on the right hand side of the top menu bar (time, WiFi, volume, etc..).

I tried to insert/start up my Telstra NextG wireless card and it blanked screened.

Have turned it off and tried to turn it back on and now it wont start up again. I'll leave it be for a while before trying again.

stewiesno1
15th March 2010, 10:54 PM
Try zapping the PRAM and then starting up from the install CD.

Stewie

harps
16th March 2010, 08:26 PM
Took it to a Mac service centre and they felt that either the logic board or the RAM has died. Cost to repair was more than what it cost me so we went and bought a new MacBook.

So now my dead PowerBook is ready to go to where all superseded computers go, eBay as parts!

tangent23
16th March 2010, 08:34 PM
what sort of price are you looking for your dead machine?

leon
16th March 2010, 09:25 PM
Did they do a PRAM reset or PMU reset?
I'd try those two before scrapping the machine.

harps
17th March 2010, 07:28 AM
what sort of price are you looking for your dead machine?

Good question, I've got no idea!
$50-100 Is that way to unrealistic?

leon
17th March 2010, 08:30 AM
Good question, I've got no idea!
$50-100 Is that way to unrealistic?

If your selling it for $50 to $100 I will snap it up as a parts machine for my 12" Powerbook.
As long as it is 1.33GHz or 1.5GHz.
That price isn't unrealistic.

harps
17th March 2010, 09:16 AM
Its the old 800something mHz version.

leon
17th March 2010, 09:19 AM
Ahh ok. $100 as a parts machine would be what I would aim for.

Jimbo
17th March 2010, 10:54 AM
you need to boot off the install cd and reset the disk permissions, this happened on my old g4 and the reset of permissions fixed it.

harps
26th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Before I sell this now dead powerbook I need to remove all the data on it, including my user profile.

Question; how can I access the hard drive to erase all the data?

Or is there another way to erase all the data?

leon
26th March 2010, 08:05 PM
You can use this guide to get inside.
PowerBook G4 Aluminum 12" 867 MHz Repair Manual - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_12%22_867_MHz)

Pull out the HDD and either keep it, or put it into an external case and delete it.

tangent23
23rd June 2010, 12:40 AM
*bump*

thought i would use this thread instead of starting a new one..

recently i bumped my wife's 12" PB off the couch and it landed on it's bottom case right hand corner under the hinge, next to the dvd drive..

it's buckled a little bit but now it no longer boots up.
when the power button is pressed the drive spins up as normal but about 5 seconds into it it spins down again to a continual low level hum..

as far as i can tell there is no hard drive action, there is no screen response.
the power light on the plug is green as normal. the capslock key lights up.

now the unusual thing is, as i was frantically trying to restart it when it happened, on one of the attempts it actually booted up as normal, at which point i connected my backup drive and did a superduper clone.

now i think previous this attempt i had done something different, i think either trying to boot into target mode or maybe after inserting a disc [there is now also a disc stuck in there], i don't remember now unfortunately, maybe it was just a fluke..

anyway after i finished backup i powered it down and haven't been able to bring it back to life since then except for the partial disc spin up..

now, it was insured so my wife now has a brand new macbook pro, and i was able to get the old machine back and would like to maybe try to fix it [either myself or otherwise] before selling it or using it for parts as a last resort.

i was wondering if anyone might have any advice on what might be wrong or how i might go about finding a solution [before i take it in for a professional opinion]?

for example, i'm guessing if it was the logic board, i would not have been able to boot up that one time at all..

best case scenario would be a loose cable somewhere, or even a busted drive might be ok.. i've always wanted to open it up and have a look :)

Byrd
23rd June 2010, 09:37 AM
I think you'd want to open it up and take a look at the damage inside - the motherboard itself could be flexing/damaged, and to check any loose cables etc.

jimdrum
23rd June 2010, 10:15 AM
There are excellent guides here: PowerBook G4 Aluminum 12" 867 MHz Repair Manual - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_12%22_867_MHz)
Be sure to place screws in a safe place as they are removed. I use a small jiffy box with compartments. Go slowly, and don't force anything!

tangent23
23rd June 2010, 12:28 PM
yeah i think i will have a go myself first..
i've seen those guides before, and the 12" powerbook always looks so daunting.. they really did a good job of cramming everything in there..

jimdrum
23rd June 2010, 01:07 PM
yeah i think i will have a go myself first..
i've seen those guides before, and the 12" powerbook always looks so daunting.. they really did a good job of cramming everything in there..

Yes, they did! I replaced the dead hard drive in a friend's 12" PB and found it was simply a matter of taking my time, keeping things organised, and being sure not to force anything. I think I took the precaution of taking some photos as I went, too, so that I could more easily retrace my steps. Good luck with it!