PDA

View Full Version : Does Telstra's directory voice recognition EVER work ?

brawlster
12th March 2010, 02:33 PM
I've never once been able to ever get my spoken query understood by Telstra.

I'd love to know what their success rate is because I reckon it can't be more than 10%. Im being generous, too because i've NEVER had it work for me ever....

Why is it that google can recognise my voice, even with place names 95% of the time and telstra can't even get it a little bit right ?

jb

melbmac
12th March 2010, 02:55 PM
Seems to work okay for me when I ring them, I do however get a good laugh out of my old man swearing at the computer...

"Stupid f***ing piece of s***"

"Did you say voice mail enquiry?"

"NOOOOO!!!!!!"

"Did you say yes?"

"NOOOO!!!!"

"Okay, putting you though now...."

conufsed
12th March 2010, 03:58 PM
Over 80% for me, but I used to work for them in a call centre once upon a time, and knew what to say to get the call routed the way I needed (and there was some non obvious tricks to that)

harrisonx
12th March 2010, 04:27 PM
I just continuously hit "0" until it puts me through to someone

LCGuy
12th March 2010, 06:45 PM
I remember about 10 years ago I rang it up trying to get the phone number for The Byte Centre (a reseller in Rockhampton), I was on a payphone that had no phone book, so I had no choice but to use directory assistance. So I say "The Byte Centre", and it comes back with phone numbers for bicycle shops.

glacierdave
12th March 2010, 07:04 PM
I-t s-o-m-e-t-i-m-e-s w-o-r-k-s f-o-r m-e i-f I s-p-e-a-k v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y

:)

Geoff3DMN
12th March 2010, 08:11 PM
It works almost always for me but I have to be careful to use correct diction and not speak too fast.

iPath
13th March 2010, 09:59 AM
As above, don't speak as fast as you possibly can into it. I slow down a little bit but nothing too major and i have never had a problem. She's actually very good.

Angsty
13th March 2010, 02:01 PM
Their voice service was trained to understand many different accents for all syllables. Also, the 2000 most common businesses and govt departments are pre-prgrammed for quick recognition.

Speak clearly and try to un-flatten any "aussie" accent :) You don't have to speak any slower than normal, unless you normally speak VERY fast...

Keep your sentences short and to the point, eg: "Billing Enquiry" versus "There is a charge on my bill that is wrong and I want you to fix it up now you losers"

If you swear at it, it will warn you then hang up. (Wouldn't you like to have had the job training it to recognise these swear words! LOL)

Voice recognition is definitely here to stay with large companies. Some implementations are well done, others... not so good.

Ang

brawlster
13th March 2010, 02:38 PM
Speak clearly and try to un-flatten any "aussie" accent :) You don't have to speak any slower than normal, unless you normally speak VERY fast...

Keep your sentences short and to the point, eg: "Billing Enquiry" versus "There is a charge on my bill that is wrong and I want you to fix it up now you losers"

Yeah im nat talking about the internal customer service, just the phone directory service 1223. I'm obviously in a minority though as everyone else seems to make it work...I actually feel like i speak too slowly in an effort to get it to work. I had already thought it was a conspiracy to make me stay on my mobile longer and rack up a few extra seconds on the bill...!

jb

MisterFnord
13th March 2010, 06:40 PM
A mate of mine once called up the directory assistance and said into the phone:

"LALALALALALA dirka dirka jihad" - a few times to see if it could work out who he wanted. When it couldn't deduce who it was he actually was looking for, he was put thru to the operator, he said he was looking for the number for Parliament House, Canberra.

andyrb
18th March 2010, 10:16 PM
Of course, there's always the Telstra Orgasm (http://blog.andyblume.com/?p=238).