PDA

View Full Version : Importing iPad from US - Custom fees, GST?

hobbsy101
11th March 2010, 10:00 PM
Put in an order to get an iPad 16GB WiFi preordered with PriceUSA today. I got it for $650 including shipping. Because it's under $1000 will it just get sent straight to me or what?

grorr76
12th March 2010, 06:08 AM
that is correct..

iTy
12th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Looks like I need help :eek:

I was going to wait until the end of April for my iPad...well just ordered my 64gb WiFi from the US. As well as the folio case and some iTunes gift cards ($975)

CC is again taking a beating.

Where is the nearest Mac Addict's Annonymous meetup? :crazy1:

**Looks at left leg to sell**

soulman
12th March 2010, 11:45 AM
...as well as the folio case and some iTunes gift cards ($975)Hope that's $AU and including freight, because you will pay GST if not - it needs to be under $AU1000 landed.

southfreo
12th March 2010, 12:39 PM
Just ordered the 32GB from PriceUSA, $769 including insurance/shipping, (didn't want to weigh down decryption's baggage any more).

You only pay customs charges above $AU1000 (current value * exchange rate) so iPad should not incur any duties (fingers crossed).

iTy
13th March 2010, 12:28 PM
Hope that's $AU and including freight, because you will pay GST if not - it needs to be under $AU1000 landed.

Yup, that is for everything. I always forget about friggin GST. I actually ordered other stuff from my guy over there. I might have to put those others on hold. :unsure:

Nisstrust
13th March 2010, 01:15 PM
Guys what if its $1004.00 AUD on date of purchase will that incur customs? $4 bucks out?

soulman
13th March 2010, 01:24 PM
Probably depends on the exchange rate they use when they're calculating it, but I would say it's high risk. The limit is $AU1000, not approximately $AU1000 and it's likely that the people who have to assess it don't get the luxury of discretion. Ring Customs & ask them. That's probably the only way to get a definitive answer.

gehenna
13th March 2010, 01:36 PM
You'll get charged GST of 10% and Duty of 5% I think for any items above $1000

TheKeddi
13th March 2010, 01:47 PM
Hubby ordered one for my birthday from Price USA total $760 for the 32 gig model, I can't wait!!!!!

It's released the day before my birthday!

mcargy08
13th March 2010, 02:25 PM
does anyone know how long the delivery is?

TheKeddi
13th March 2010, 03:46 PM
I wish I knew! Fedex is supposed to be pretty quick, it all depends on when they get it from Apple and when they post it with FEDEX.

They say between 10 days and a few weeks, I hope it's faster than that!!!

I really wanted a US model though for the book store, as ours will be crap even when we DO get one!

Trabb
13th March 2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think having an American ipad will make any difference to the availability of the iBooks store, I think it'll just be based on what iTunes account you have.

kyte
13th March 2010, 04:53 PM
I don't think having an American ipad will make any difference to the availability of the iBooks store, I think it'll just be based on what iTunes account you have.

many of us have US accounts, just not US credit cards. That is fixable though and I am on the brink of doing something about it: my wandering into dodgy online financial stuff left me with information which might actually be worth something now...

If I can get one, and its all above board, I'll make an appropriate post somehwere.

iTy
13th March 2010, 05:41 PM
many of us have US accounts, just not US credit cards. That is fixable though and I am on the brink of doing something about it: my wandering into dodgy online financial stuff left me with information which might actually be worth something now...

If I can get one, and its all above board, I'll make an appropriate post somehwere.

If any of you guys are on Amex, all you have to do is ring them up and tell them to put your CC on a different database (probably same one they put you when you travel) and tell them that you will be making online purchases from the US. I did this and my supposed card is no enabled for US purchases.

I can now buy stuff from Amazon etc. Only problem is, my US iTunes account has a dodgy address and the transaction gets blocked, because of the mismatch. If anyone can work out a way around this, then that would be appreciated

Thx

Nisstrust
13th March 2010, 06:03 PM
ah bugger!! i think i will just cross my fingers and hope it gets through?

mcargy08
13th March 2010, 06:44 PM
I wish I knew! Fedex is supposed to be pretty quick, it all depends on when they get it from Apple and when they post it with FEDEX.

They say between 10 days and a few weeks, I hope it's faster than that!!!

I really wanted a US model though for the book store, as ours will be crap even when we DO get one!

between 10 days and a few weeks? well, i guess I just have to wait for the official australian release then.

TheKeddi
13th March 2010, 07:44 PM
Well I have heard of things getting here sooner than that though, it all depends on where they are getting the stuff from.

I guess Apple will ship in a day or so and then feddex might take a few to get here. We still don't know local pricing so I thought it wouldn't be too far off the mark and hopefully it will arrive in time.

iTy
16th March 2010, 12:24 PM
If any of you guys are on Amex, all you have to do is ring them up and tell them to put your CC on a different database (probably same one they put you when you travel) and tell them that you will be making online purchases from the US. I did this and my supposed card is no enabled for US purchases.

I can now buy stuff from Amazon etc. Only problem is, my US iTunes account has a dodgy address and the transaction gets blocked, because of the mismatch. If anyone can work out a way around this, then that would be appreciated

Thx

Ha ha, I just found a way around this. Just made my first successful Gift Card purchase using my iTunes Au account attached to my AU Amex :D

iPad here I come!

iTy
16th March 2010, 12:26 PM
Yup, that is for everything. I always forget about friggin GST. I actually ordered other stuff from my guy over there. I might have to put those others on hold. :unsure:

So people are not confused. This got smashed by Google Checkout. They canceled the account of the guy I was going through.

Google has not provided any justification. So I had to find another way short of flying over there ala Decryption style.

mvjs
17th March 2010, 05:49 PM
Guys what if its $1004.00 AUD on date of purchase will that incur customs? $4 bucks out?

Yep, you'll be charged. I was charged for a shipment that was A$1000.50. The exchange rate is calculated from the day it is shipped not received.

Mutters
17th March 2010, 05:59 PM

I think it's a matter of luck and Customs "mood".
I imported a lens from NY that came in just shy of AU$1100.00 and didn't pay any taxes.
Ordered on a wednesday and arrived on a friday - 2 days later.
Lots of grinning here.

mutters

iphonedev
19th March 2010, 08:31 AM
Pre-Ordered mine through PriceUSA.

Now sit back relax and wait for it to arrive

Cheers