PDA

View Full Version : So, i've got Termites in my house..

MisterFnord
11th March 2010, 05:23 PM
Termites, White Ants, whatever you want to call them the scourge of wooden-houses. So i've discovered at least one nest/infestation, possibly two.

I just want to know what other experiences (if any) peeps here have had with the different methods for eradication and control - had one quote and came in at just over $3k for eradication and bait stations surrounding the house, to prevent a recurrence in the future.

Personally i prefer this over the traditional method of spraying toxic chemicals under your house and in the roof space.

Anybody else had treatments recently?

DomDom
11th March 2010, 07:58 PM
Be aware that a termite treatment will not rectify any damage. For that you'll need a builder. You won't now the full extent of any damage till you take of wall linings. The termite treatment is just a treatment.

As for termite treatments shop around and go with a reputable pest controller. Cheapest is not necessarily best. The cost depends on the extent of the termite infestation and what is required to get rid the buggers.

I think you will find that the eradication will involve digging around and using chemicals to drive out the termites. The baits are then used when there is no other option for a physical barrier.

Check your options before you make up your mind.

Dom

Rogerthatv2
11th March 2010, 08:07 PM
We had the bait stations installed but 3 months later we found termites in the back wall of our house, 1 metre away from a bait station. Our new termite guy (not the 'reputable' company that installed the baits) came out and sprayed inside the wall to get rid of them in the house then came back a week later with another staff member and drilled the concrete / tiles and trenched around our house and installed a reticulation system and filled it full of Termidor. 4 years later, no termites and they come out yearly to inspect the house and the barrier. Happy days.

He has left the baits and installed new ones but in the gardens and I check them each time I mow, if there is mud in the window I call him up and he comes out and treats the bait. The termidor is a slow death for termites so they can take it back to the nest and die, then the next termite eats the dead one and he dies and so on.

Good luck, I know what I felt like when we found them, gut wrenching!

Scubasnaps
11th March 2010, 09:16 PM
I've had them in my house in Brisbane. Only thing for it is to open up the wall cavity and replace what they have damaged - preferably use treated timber. I was lucky as they did not penetrate too far - still cost me $1500 for the builder and $500 for the chemical barrier to stop them coming back.
Is your house on piers or on a slab?

MisterFnord
12th March 2010, 10:39 AM
House is on piers and was built ~ 1910, before they put tin caps on the wooden piers - so a clear path from the piers in the ground straight up into the house. Timber frame and construction.

Neighbours on either side of us both have had infestations in their houses, i've found termites in the shed and garden, and the house across the road from us was so badly infested that they demolished and rebuilt in steel rather than try repair the damage!

I'm thinking of going the Termidor or Sentricon system where they bury the baits around your house as well as treating and destroying any infestation they find in your house, so long-term should be good. And yes i'd hate to think the costs of rebuilding the damaged sections of the house!

The_Hawk
12th March 2010, 11:13 AM
Our bill was about $5k for treatment and removal. Luckily we caught them before they did any real damage, but we are now *very* aware and have the house inspected every year.

Sneaky little bastards :(... but in our case it looks like when they built the garage they decided to lay the timber frame on the ground the concrete *AROUND* it... yep... genius' at work on that job.

tcimac
12th March 2010, 02:54 PM
Been there, done that.

Had damage to a bedroom window & stud work, 1m of skirting board and about 8 metres total of floor joists and bearers.

We had a Termidor treatment in 2004 (about $2800??) and have never seen termites since. No baits.

I had repairs done when we eventually did some renos in 2009. Had the house restumped, so had to have another treatment but it was only $1200 because all the digging around the stumps had been done by the restumper so the pest guy didn't need to.

I have it re-inspected every year and fortunately the company I went with guarantee the treatment every year as long as I have the inspection done on a yearly basis.

I would suggest you try talking to a carpenter about repairs or a handyman rather than a builder. My brother-in-law is a builder and he told me to get a carpenter because they charge less. Apart from the renos I was doing anyway, when we replaced the bedroom window I had to get stud work repaired around the window opening and a carpernter charged me $600 for about 5m of timber, a whole wall (6mx3m) of plaster and his labour.

Mychael
16th March 2010, 04:49 PM
We had our house treated. Cost $1,800. We are on a slab and you can still get the little critters. As far as I know your house insurance does not cover termite damage so it's best to be sure.

woofy
17th March 2010, 02:01 PM
Yep they actually like putting their nests right under concrete slabs....we have 2/3 posts and the rest slab and I'm paranoid we will get the buggers due to parklands around us with nests. The problem is also that if you have them, most likely the neighbours do to as they travel from food source to food source under the ground, stopping at each house.

And no insurance in Australia covers them which is a bugger.

scokim
23rd March 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking of getting my place termidored as well but with the wet weather around (i.e wet soil, etc), should i wait until we get a dry spell?

Mychael
23rd March 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking of getting my place termidored as well but with the wet weather around (i.e wet soil, etc), should i wait until we get a dry spell?

It' better to wait at least until you know there wont be any rain for a few days.

MisterFnord
23rd March 2010, 07:25 PM
Well i'm awaiting a second quote from a traditional "spray toxic chemicals all underneath the house" so let's see what they say, i've been told that's a far cheaper option.

However, from all accounts i am leaning toward the Termidor solution for peace of mind going forward (if we were going to be moving in a years time i'd go the cheaper option and someone else has to deal with it, but as we are now planning on staying here long-term, Termidor seems the way to go).

2nd April 2010, 09:11 AM
Well i'm awaiting a second quote from a traditional "spray toxic chemicals all underneath the house" so let's see what they say, i've been told that's a far cheaper option.

However, from all accounts i am leaning toward the Termidor solution for peace of mind going forward (if we were going to be moving in a years time i'd go the cheaper option and someone else has to deal with it, but as we are now planning on staying here long-term, Termidor seems the way to go).

just noticed this thread.

i have spend 4 years in the pest management industry however i am back in horticulture.

my ex-employer and very good friends at Complete Pest Control would be able to supply you the correct advice and very competitive price.

the best man to speak to is chris.

tell him daniel said hi.

Complete Pest Control (http://www.completepest.com.au)

MisterFnord
2nd April 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi 310 (Daniel!), thanks for the heads up. From your experience working in the industry, what do you think is the best method? A chemical spray or a number of bait stations approach (i assume from looking at CPC's website that the in-ground baits they are using are similar to the termidor, etc solution?)

cosmichobo
2nd April 2010, 09:19 PM
I'm worried cos the pool room extension that was put on this house by the previous owner is wood, on a slab, and had experienced a minor infestation before we took ownership. We haven't had the money to pay for a full treatment... have just tried to keep an eye on things. The rest of the house is wood floor on concrete posts with metal caps. Brick walls at least... though of course the roof is wood.

Will be hoping to get a termi inspector in this year to give us any bad news before we look at selling in 2011.

3rd April 2010, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=MisterFnord;949679]Hi 310 (Daniel!), thanks for the heads up. From your experience working in the industry, what do you

hope this helps.

rserpkin
28th May 2010, 06:35 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about termidor for termites, but is that a do-it-yourself kind of thing, or is that something that a pro comes in and does for you?

stewiesno1
28th May 2010, 10:28 AM
House is on piers and was built ~ 1910, before they put tin caps on the wooden piers - so a clear path from the piers in the ground straight up into the house. Timber frame and construction.

First mistake.
You should have checked all the piers or got a building report when you bought the house. This would have alerted you to the problem or potential problem.
Then you employ a carpenter to put in a physical barrier like ant caps or replace the wooden piers with brick or treated pine - brick preferably.

Neighbours on either side of us both have had infestations in their houses, i've found termites in the shed and garden, and the house across the road from us was so badly infested that they demolished and rebuilt in steel rather than try repair the damage!

Second mistake.
If you knew the neighbours had this problem and you had termites in some of your outbuildings , why didn't you have an inspection or taken preventative measures done way back when ?

What I would do now is get the nests removed and use a chemical spray.
Long term because your house is on piers, I would go for my solution above regarding replacing the piers. A simple inspection twice a year by yourself would be all that is necessary.
A physical barrier is much preferred over chemicals in terms of long term cost, environmental issues and effectiveness.

For those with houses built on slabs, the best thing you can do is to make sure you can see 75mm min of the concrete slab before the bricks or timber frame starts. I'm pretty sure it is part of the BCA ( Building Code of Australia ) for termite protection.
ALL TERMITE BARRIERS TO COMPLY WITH AS 3660 "TERMITE MANAGEMENT" - taken off one of my plans ( actually Australian Standards not BCA although I'm sure there would be clause in the BCA somewhere ).
A lot of people buy a house then start landscaping around the outside of it to make it look better. What they do wrong is build up the soil in these garden beds until you can't see the slab. Unless it has big cracks where they can get in, to get up into the timber frame of a house built on a concrete slab they have to go around the outside of it using their little mud tunnels which are pretty easy to spot ( as long as you don't build up the garden beds that is ).

The other thing to do is remove their food source as much as possible. Any old timber posts,beams even firewood should be removed as much as possible especially if is timber scraps under the house.
Timber fences are the biggest problem -termites just love some of the old hardwood posts and railings.
My solution for our place has been to dig a hole 300mm deep and coat the posts with creosote down as far as possible. Splashing it around a bit in the soil while you do it is not a bad idea either. Termites just hate the smell of it.

Stewie ( not talking through my arse for a change - I'm an ex builder )

cosmichobo
11th August 2010, 04:30 PM
Can someone recommend a good Termite guy in Brisbane?

Doing some gardening on the weekend, and found them under a pile of grass clippings, just near the house.

At least wanna get someone in to check everything out...