PDA

View Full Version : Help! cant delete program

mintzmeat
11th March 2010, 04:41 PM
Hey, I am a new user of mac and have come across a problem

I recently downloaded a program called flip4mac, it downloaded itself four times on my desktop, I am now unable to delete this program or remove the icons from my desktop. When i try move them to trash, the trash bin turns into the eject button and nothing happens. These applications do not open and i cannot even move them around.
Help! how do i get rid of them.

Thank you very much,

Alex Morrow
11th March 2010, 05:37 PM
It is likely that what you have on your Desktop are disk images, .dmg. First, check in your Applications folder to make sure that the Flip4Mac folder is in there where it should be. If it is, you can drag the .dmg files from the Desktop to the Trash. As you point out, because they are disk images, they "eject" rather than go to Trash, but the end result is the same.
The application Flip4Mac should then be able to be run from the Applications folder.

ClockWork
11th March 2010, 05:41 PM
These icons are Installer Disk Images, and the reason your Trash turns into an Eject symbol, is because they are kinda like a downloadable CD - or something like that - at least - this is the way Mac OS X views them, so by dragging them down to the Trash / Eject and letting go over the Eject symbol, they'll vanish.

Another way to do this is to Restart your Apple computer and upon full restart, you'll see they are all gone.

euphospug
11th March 2010, 06:03 PM
also FLIP4MAC has a preference pane in SYSTEM PREFERENCES (found by clicking on the apple menu - top left of screen).

so if the program is still running once you have restarted, check the settings in there.

as well as in the SAFARI -> Safari menu.

ClockWork
11th March 2010, 06:21 PM
also FLIP4MAC has a preference pane in SYSTEM PREFERENCES (found by clicking on the apple menu - top left of screen).

so if the program is still running once you have restarted, check the settings in there.

as well as in the SAFARI -> Safari menu.

If the OP really is completely new to Mac, these instructions will confuse.

ClockWork
11th March 2010, 07:10 PM
To the OP, you only need to download Flip4Mac once.

Once fully downloaded, it will appear, either in your Downloads folder or on your Desktop, as a white icon with what appears to be a tiny metal Hard Drive in the centre, and called: WM Components 2.3.1.2.dmg

Double-click on this WM Components 2.3.1.2.dmg - and after a small blue progress bar appears, a new window will open, containing an icon which looks like a brown and orange cardboard box all unopened, and called: Flip4Mac WMV.mpkg

Next, double-click on this new icon named Flip4Mac WMV.mpkg. You'll be led through its installation. Simply follow your onscreen prompts and click all the various Continue and Agree buttons it produces.

Next, click Install (or if you've already installed it), click the Upgrade button.

Finally, click the lower-right Close button.

Now... close that installation window (by clicking the small red button with X in it, at the top-left of that window) and as for the completely white icon with a slot on the front, named: Flip4Mac WMV 2.3.1.2 - click down on this and drag it down to the Trash icon in your Dock, which will automatically change into an Ejection symbol and release your cursor over it.

The white icon with the slot in the front will vanish.

To access the Flip4Mac controls, click once on the very top-left Apple symbol and scroll down to: System Preferences...

In the System Preferences window, right at the very bottom, under the heading: Other - you will see a glossy green ball with the letters WMV in white inside it, and named: Flip4Mac, underneath it.

Click once on this icon and you can then alter some of its controls.

As for these little icons with a slot in the front, as you progress and download new Apple software, you'll see these kind of icons appear again and again.

By double-clicking on them to open them, you have access to the software inside, and most of the time, the software in there doesn't need to be installed the same way as Flip4mac, and all that is required is to drag the software icon into your Applications folder which resides directly inside your Macintosh HD icon at the top-right of your screen.

If you require further help, just say so.

mintzmeat
11th March 2010, 08:42 PM
thanks for all the help, i fixed it