PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Leopard for iBook G4?

google2
11th March 2010, 12:26 AM
A friend of mine (member of a religious order) has a late 2005 iBook G4. It was running 10.3.9 and had 256Mb of RAM.

I got a Gb of RAM for it, and tried to install Leopard from my old Leopard disc for a MacBook Pro.

You can't install that here!

Ok, but the specs (now) look Ok. 1.2GHz processor, 19Gb free disc space and 1.25Gb of memory.

I'm assuming that the problem was that the Leopard disc was for my MBP. Is this a fair assumption?

If so, I need a Leopard install disc for the iBook G4. I even looked for a retail version on the Apple site. Do you think I could find it?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get usable discs?

Peter

ClockWork
11th March 2010, 01:47 AM
Yes - your assumption is correct.
The Leopard Disk you have is Machine Specific, and only made for your MacBook Pro - and no other kind of Apple computer.

Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) requires at base level:

An Apple Mac computer with a Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor.
512 MB of RAM (or preferably more).
A DVD drive for installation.
9 GB of available Hard Drive space (or preferably more).

What you're after is a Full Retail Leopard Installer and the reason you can't find it on the Apple Store is because it has been superseded by Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), which won't work on an Apple computer that does not have an Intel Processor.

You could either try to purchase a Retail Edition here in MacTalk (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/want-buy/) - (you need to be a member for 45 days and have 5 posts to be able to post in the WTB section) - or try trawling FleaBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-Mac-OS-X-Leopard-Full-Retail-Version-10-5-FAMILY_W0QQitemZ170456665902QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_15?hash=item27b0024f2e) for a Full Retail Installer.

google2
11th March 2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for confirming.

I'll have a look on ebay, and if nothing comes up for the next couple of months, I'll try WTB.