PDA

View Full Version : The Planted Aquarium Thread

leon
9th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone in the Mactalk community is seriously into planted aquaria?

When I lived in a large share house I had numerous tanks all growing plants. Come 2008 and the wife and I stopped renting and purchased a 2 bedroom apartment with no room. So I had to decommission the aquariums due to space requirements.

Now that the wife and I have purchased a large house I am wanting to get back into planted aquaria.

We have a 4ft tank that is currently in storage.
I have purchased an AquaOne MG1200 (4 x 24W CFL and 2 x 150W MH) so I don't think light will be an issue.
In storage I also have a Dupla CO2 system which I will be setting up as well.

So with settlement occurring in July, I have a lot of time to plan what I want to do with the tank. I was never good at choosing plants so I still have a lot to learn.
What I have decided to do is set up a soil based aquarium. I will be using something called the Dry Start Method (DSM) which involves growing the foreground plants in the soil substrate for 2 months so that the roots gain a foothold. You then fill the tank and plant your background plants etc.
The benefit of this method is that you don't have to purchase as many plants in the beginning as they will use the 2 months to "flesh out".
DSM, Dry start method for starting a new planted tank - AquaticQuotient.com (http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42183)

Fertilization will be another hurdle that I will have to encounter - and hopefully conquer. In the past I didn't fully understand what I was doing, although being older and wiser now, I have researched and read others do's/don'ts, so hopefully I won't be heading in blindly.
My plan is to dose my tank using the Estimative Index (EI) method, which relies on overdosing the tank with ferts, then reseting the system each week with a 50% water change.

I will be keeping this thread updated with pictures of my successes/failures.

I am curious to know if there is anyone else with planted aquaria? If so please post your tanks/specs/experiences etc in this thread.

Leon.

funky79
12th March 2010, 08:24 AM
very cool

I can not wait to see

I have a couple of 4*2*2 tanks and an aqua 1 620 ( and a couple of smaller ones

only have 1 4 foot and the aqua 1 set up at the moment

I have always thought about setting it up as a planted one however i like Angel fish and they love eating plants lol

the aqua 1 is set up as a marine tank same when I re-set the other 4 foot tank
just don't have the time and $$$ to do it at the moment ( my other hobby takes up that $ )

leon
13th March 2014, 07:06 AM
Just thought I'd update this thread to say that I made no progress.. After moving into our large house we found out my wife was pregnant and thus that put an end to my fish tank plans (money and time wise).

What I did instead was set up a small 2.5 ft planted tank with a few amazon swords and anubias. I used some red gum firewood placed in the tank to add a nice effect of driftwood. This tank has been chugging along for a few years now and has grown out quite well.

How that our son is nearly 3 he is starting to get interested in the small fish tank that we have set up in the house. I'm hoping to get the large 4ft planted aquarium up and running within the next year (although we now also have a 2 month old child, so we'll see how that goes).

macman142
13th March 2014, 12:07 PM
Cool thread. Sorry to hear that the major fish tank plans were scaled down, but congratulations on the addition to your family! A good reason to put other projects on the back burner.

My partner is into aquariums, we have a few setup in our house. She really likes the shrimp. They are admittedly very enjoyable to just sit and watch.

PO15KA
14th March 2014, 06:22 AM
Hi
Congrats on your baby. I too had aquariums since I was a kid back in Poland. Only just recently about three years ago I had to give up the hobby when our child was born.
I really prefer fresh water tropical setups, last one was a 6 foot aquarium with African cichlids but I still hold guppies and sword tails as my all time favourite ;)

All the best,
Marcin