PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Out

Georgina EG
24th August 2005, 09:14 AM
This morning I couldn't access Safari and Mail and was told by my ISP that Telstra's copper wiring somewhere between me and the exchange was probably at fault. I was told to switch off the computer, switch off the broadband modem, and switch it all on again, and it worked.

Is this a common fault in the system?

I was also advised to have Internet Explorer as an alternative, however, if the wiring is to blame, would it make any difference?

AusMac
24th August 2005, 09:30 AM
Internet Explorer is a standard answer from a windows perverted person that has never heard of Safari.. There is no need to use it and no it has nothing to do with their wiring.

Disko
24th August 2005, 10:09 AM
Georgina, the guy at the end of that phone has no idea that IE for mac was discontinued two years ago and that Safari and Firefox are both better and safer alternatives. I get quite annoyed when i'm trying to setup something like a printer, a net connection or *something* to do with a mac and then having to call support. "oh, its a mac - there's your problem right there." No mate, the problem is that you don't know your systems well enough to work at a help desk.

Back on topic though - I just had to reset my modem as well to get the connection back up. I usually have to do this whenever telstra makes a change, but this morning it was due to an Internode upgrade (http://cgi.internode.on.net/advisories/item.html?id=3246).

Georgina EG
24th August 2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks folks, I'm glad I'm not the only one falling foul of failing fixtures.