PDA

View Full Version : Glad to see District 9 got some oscar nominations

MissionMan
9th March 2010, 09:55 AM
I think they were unlucky as far as the timing went with so many other great films, but I think it was great to see this type of film making it into the best film category.

MrJesseRoss
9th March 2010, 10:49 AM
District 9 was nominated for best film? Wow.

I've not seen The Hurt Locker. I don't think I want to see it now, I don't want to be one of those people who see movies just because they won awards. I'll have to wait for the DVD (and then rent it from Quickflix so nobody has to see my shame).

MissionMan
9th March 2010, 10:50 AM
District 9 got nominated for 3 Oscars in different categories which was pretty impressive for a film on a $30 Million budget.

jonnos
9th March 2010, 11:17 AM

I've not seen The Hurt Locker. I don't think I want to see it now, I don't want to be one of those people who see movies just because they won awards. I'll have to wait for the DVD (and then rent it from Quickflix so nobody has to see my shame).

i love district 9.. great film..

ive also already seen hurt locker.. i enjoyed that film as well.. its not those typical.. "yeah we are american.. we like to blow things up.. we look great dont we" type of war films..
if your into that, youll probably be disappointed.

Balthazar
9th March 2010, 11:30 AM

I've not seen The Hurt Locker. I don't think I want to see it now, I don't want to be one of those people who see movies just because they won awards.

Tall Poppy syndrome at its best... what if it is actually a really good movie, dont be scared of the bandwagon... jump right on, there's plenty of room !

visional_studios
9th March 2010, 11:57 AM

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

gehenna
9th March 2010, 11:58 AM
I'd suggest seeing The Hurt Locker, it's an okay movie. I certainly don't rate it as "best picture" material but it's worth a look for sure.

decryption
9th March 2010, 12:08 PM
Is it wrong I thought of you MissionMan whilst watching District 9? You're the only South African person I know, hah

brawlster
9th March 2010, 01:09 PM
District 9 got nominated for 3 Oscars in different categories which was pretty impressive for a film on a $30 Million budget.

Hurt Locker was an 11 million dollar film.

Did you know that it's Australian distributor wasn't even going to bother to release it on a cinema screen ? It wasn't until it actually got a nomination that they started to think about releasing it here in cinemas.

In fact it's total US Box Office to date is apparently only $14 million. A very small figure for the US which means it won't have even made its money back.

In australia it's done a more impressive 1.8 million on 48 screens..... Still technically considered a small release though.

I'd also bet that District 9 had a lot of "IN KIND" budget from WETA. The VFX was an outstanding part of that film, and I bet they weren't paying the card rate given Jackson was a producer. It looks like more than a $30 million dollar film.

Just like the rumours that Avatar was really a $500 million dollar film rather than the more publicly stated $250 million....

jb

MissionMan
9th March 2010, 01:16 PM
Is it wrong I thought of you MissionMan whilst watching District 9? You're the only South African person I know, hah

The irony about it was I didn't even know about it until a 3 page post appeared on Mactalk about how good it was, let alone knowing it was actually about a aliens in Johannesburg, my home town.

I eventually watched it thinking it was going to be a load of crap and that it was probably just a bunch of geeks raving about a Alien vs Predator wannabe kind of film and was shocked at how good it was.

Its unusual for that type of film to show the emotional depth. Those sort of films are normally about Alien=Bad, Human=good, Alien tried to kill Human, Human kills alien despite all its technology, Happy ending.

grorr76
9th March 2010, 03:58 PM
Saw hurt ocker ages ago, a really gripping film. nice to see the oscars are not based on budget. I really loved it, and absolutely fantastic to see a woman win it and a female direct such subject matter. Just because something doesn't have a huge release is no indication of quality , its more a fact it isnt commercial. The hurt locker didn't contain stars and was challanging..

brawlster
9th March 2010, 04:01 PM
Saw hurt ocker ages ago, a really gripping film.

Gee, that must be an obscure australian film of a similar name...have to check that one out....

jb