PDA

View Full Version : Is iphone case neccessary or not!!

econ
8th March 2010, 10:14 PM
Just wondering whether i should buy an iphone case or not. Is it really important?? I dnt want to make it bulky and fat to carry around, and i heard some cases break or get scratched up. What are ur experiences like?

NathR32
8th March 2010, 10:17 PM
How careful with your phones?
I personally go caseless as it distracts from the original design and adds bulkiness.
I can keep my phones in pristine condition without cases but i baby them. If you are less careful, then you may want to consider a silicon or hard case that doesn't add too much bulk but protects the back etc.

MacTime
8th March 2010, 11:04 PM
I had a Belkin case (the hard variety) and found that it trapped dirt and stuff inside which scratched the plastic backing of the iPhone pretty bad. I've since gone caseless, it's much slimmer in my pocket too!

alextrob
8th March 2010, 11:27 PM
I've got an Incase Slider (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl59031) that looks good, is amazingly durable and doesn't seem to get scratched up by dirt getting inside the case like the silicon ones I've used on an iPod. I've dropped my iPhone so many times in that case and it's fine. The downside of it is the added bulkiness.

If you want something that will prevent scratches with barely any added bulk and you don't think you'll drop your iPhone too hard, I'd definitely go for a full body Invisible Shield (http://www.invisibleshield.com.au/) or something similar.

grfxninja
9th March 2010, 08:40 AM
I had a silicon case and had the same problem with dust getting trapped and scratching the back of my phone.

I now have the back covered with a stick on skin.

I am pretty careful with my phone though

mallo
9th March 2010, 09:48 AM
I've had an iphone since launch day of the 3G, in that time I've never used a case, purely because of aesthetics, i love the iphone design, and hate the idea of making it at all bulkier and uglier by adding a case.

Over the time since getting my 3G and now a 3GS I have dropped both of them stacks of time, from decent heights and low heights, onto ashfelt, and onto carpet. And the most damage ever done is a bit of scuffing on the silver bezel.

UNTIL the saturday just gone, i stepped out of the car, forgot my phone was on my lap, and it dropped to the road from about 45cm, now i have a small crack in the bottom left of the screen.

Ahwell, I'm still glad I dont used a cover, is a risk I'm happy to take.

glacierdave
9th March 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm using an Incipio case on mine - it's about 2mm thick or less. Very low profile but adds just that bit of protection. The one I bought came with a couple of screen protectors cut to fit the front of the iPhone so both sides are protected.

I don't usually do much damage to my phones so I'm not concerned about having much more protection than this.

The only change I'd make is that I'm considering a Mophie Juice Pack to get the increased battery life - haven't gone there yet though.

~Coxy
9th March 2010, 10:39 AM
I tended to drop my phone reasonably often and if anything the iPhone is more slippery than average, so I definitely got a case. If you keep your phone in your pocket then a case will also help prevent scratches and knocks.

Mine is a fake rigid leather thing with screen cover, it doesn't add much bulk.

banjo
9th March 2010, 11:34 AM
If you keep your phone in your pocket like most guys, the silicon cases are crap. They trap dirt and getting them in and out of your pocket is a pain. If you're a chick and keep it in your handbag, then you'd definitely want some form of protection.

I don't use a case anymore, or even a screen protector, and my iPhone experience is the better for it. I've dropped it a few times and done no more damage than creating a single stuck pixel (which might have happened regardless). Then again, my phone tends to stay on a desk or in my work locker rather than in my pocket ...

That said, I have seen some people with seriously messed up iPhones with screens that are shattered or bodies that are practically falling apart. It all depends on how careful you are: all it takes is one drop on a hard surface to kill the screen.

Balthazar
9th March 2010, 11:35 AM
I use an iSkin solo case.. really good protection, but the biggest thing for me is with it on the phone is a lot more "touchable", without it i dont want to get fingerprints on the phone and it feel way too slippery.

Cybix
9th March 2010, 01:11 PM
putting apple products in cases is a SIN.

Japester
9th March 2010, 01:14 PM
putting apple products in cases is a SIN.

I totally agree, even Apple's official case for the iPad--ugh!

My decree:

All portable Apple devices will be devoid of fastened, encapsulating cases. They will, however, be placed within the confines of a sleeve, bag or holster when not being held. This is the best mix of naked beauty and protection.

Additionally, ye shall not drop said device under any circumstances. Learn to grip better, clumsy people.

tcimac
9th March 2010, 04:34 PM
... i heard some cases break or get scratched up.

I think you have answered your own question there.

If you didn't have the case, then the actual iPhone would break and get scratched up!?

Quamen
9th March 2010, 06:16 PM
I've had all 3 iPhones and an iPod touch. You don't need a case.

NILcorp
9th March 2010, 06:37 PM
I use an Incase Slider for my 3GS. It does a fantastic job and since I had the case on from day one there is not one scratch on my iPhone till date. I also use an anti-glare screen shield as I travel a lot and allows me to read in the sun very clearly and saves the screen from scratches as well. It doesn't add too much bulk and I can tend to be a little reckless with it rather than baby it. I can let my friends go through my photos and stuff without worrying about scratching or dropping my phone. It protects it really well and unlike some cases doesn't stick to your pocket while you're trying to pull it out. I've used different cases for different devices and I think this is my best experience so far.

Incase Slider Case for iPhone 3GS - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/TW822PA/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&mco=MTA4NDY2NDQ&s=topSellers)

Balthazar
10th March 2010, 10:05 AM
I would definitely agree you don't need a front screen protector however i have had my iPhone in a case since day one and now almost a year later... not one scratch.. nothing!

I have never had that sort of experience with any Phone before.

Having said that i would agreed Apple put a lot more thought into durability than some of the Nokia phone's i have owned but i still think a case is a must if you care about the little scratch's that build up over time (Mostly from things in your pocket, not drops).

If you dont care about that, then dont bother, just get ready for those ugly scratched up plastic marks after you drop it out of the car onto the bitumen the first time.

rodeodee
10th March 2010, 11:45 AM
i've got a thin plastic shell on the back only. it looks almost the same as the iphone and makes it just a tiny bit bigger. iphones are slippery buggers, they are smooth and shiny and rounded... somewhere between ice and a soft poached egg... i'm very careful but the case has still saved a few marks on my iphone.

brian_g
10th March 2010, 02:55 PM
My wife left hers on a table, someone bumped it and it feel a foot onto the edge of a chair and shattered.

We replaced the screen, and then my son moved the coffee table and the phone fell again, its got a tiny crack.

Yeah - I'm annoyed.

She had the rubber belkin skin on it, I'm looking at getting a hard shell one that surrounds the power button, this seems to be a weak spot and twice it cracked here.

gareth
10th March 2010, 03:30 PM
i dont think they are necessary, iphone looks sexy naked

The_Hawk
10th March 2010, 05:37 PM
I have never been a fan of cases since they add bulk and in many cases (pardon the pun) they do little other than add a belt clip :P

I have heard about many phones with silicon cases breaking anyway, same for the harder variants. For me I have a sticker on the back, mostly because it's a sexy sticker, but it also means I can pull it off later and have a scratch free phone.

I don't feel like I'm overly careful with the phone, but then maybe thats just my perception. So far I haven't had an issue. My 5 yr olds iPod touch... that has in hard Incase jobbie which seems damn good.

Mychael
16th March 2010, 02:03 PM
I reckon there are two kinds of people, those who have at some stage dropped their phone and those that will.
The iphone looks great naked but it's a big cost investment and I protect my investments so put a case on the day I got the phone.

Mike