PDA

View Full Version : The Fat Kid From St. Albans is Going to New York for an iPad!

Pages : [1] 2

MTBlogBot2000
8th March 2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.mactalk.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2006-5-18-apple-5th-avenue.png

Everyone does something crazy in their life - buying a Harley Davidson, shaving your hair off, getting an earring or a tattoo whilst drunk, buying that really cool item off the Home Shopping Network - there's plenty of things that seemed like an awesome idea at the time. For me, the first time was sleeping overnight on George Street to be 8th in line for the opening of Sydney's flagship Apple Store. (http://www.theage.com.au/technology/biz-tech/the-queue-for-the-apple-store-starts-here-20090616-cfhd.html) That was fun.

Now I'll be doing it again, but 17,000km away - in New York City, a small place somewhere in the USA, which is a whole different country. The iPad is being released a month earlier in the USA than in Australia, which bums me out, as I'm an impatient nerd with too much time on his hands. I can't explain it, but gadgets are what I live for. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't stay out all night and don't have any other vices except for a terrible technology addiction. Plus it's a great excuse to see one of the world's most amazing cities - so why not!?

I'll be with Mr. Peter Wells (aka fulltimecasual (http://twitter.com/fulltimecasual) - you may have heard him on the MacTalk podcast before he moved up to Sydney), camping out in front of the glorious glass cube of Apple's Fifth Avenue store (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/), waiting to get our hands on iPads. We hope to be the first dorks in line for the iPad at Apple's flagship store in NYC.

This trip is partially being funded by some other diehard Apple fans who can't wait one month for an iPad either - my comrades, my brothers in arms, my people. I'm going to be bringing back as many iPads as possible to the people who have pre-paid for them. They'll be one of the few people in Australia to have an iPad on Monday the 5th of April, a whole couple of weeks before anyone else! If you want an iPad before anyone else in the country, ping me (http://mactalk.com.au/iwannatalktoanthony) and I'll send you some info as there may be a couple of spots left.

Pete (leaving Sydney) and I (leaving Melbourne) will be leaving for NYC on the 26th of March and arriving back on the 5th of April (on Qantas and an A380 - the aviation nerd in me is excited too). I will be blogging the entire adventure here on MacTalk and on my Twitter (http://twitter.com/decryption) account. We'll have videos, photos and blog posts as often as we can do them whilst we're in New York, as well as a couple of posts leading up to the start of the trip.

It should be an interesting journey, as I've never been overseas and I don't even have a passport. Or luggage. Or clothes appropriate for a cold New York spring. Wish me luck.

Bogus Jimmy
8th March 2010, 09:25 PM
You're gonna have a blast.

While you're in line you'll be well fed (sorta). On each of those corners (to the left and right in your picture) you've got pretzel/hot nuts/hot dog/soft drink carts. Plus the shop on the right in the building behind the cube (the GM building) is FAO Schwarz (http://www.fao.com/), a massive toy store with a huge lolly section (plus it has the big piano from the 80's movie Big).

Me at 5th Ave Apple Store...
http://grab.by/2Uek

tintinaujapon
8th March 2010, 09:31 PM
Godspeed you shameless geeks.

natakim
8th March 2010, 09:32 PM
so lame it's awesome cool.

customs? just wondering how you explain the contents of your suitcase.

Shintaro
8th March 2010, 09:33 PM
Much envy here.
Good luck, & have fun!!!

WindowsVista
8th March 2010, 09:33 PM
iPad dealer - 5 years imprisonment! How early do you plan to lineup? I guess it's cheap accomodation.

jack112006
8th March 2010, 09:34 PM
May your pilgrimage to the holy land of The Cube be a fulfilling and successful one, overflowing with iPads and nerd-gasams. Another little thing to add: if you guys get #1 and #2 in line, you will be more than just the first Australians to own an iPad. You will be the first people in the whole world to own one (or ten...) due to the timezones.

marc
8th March 2010, 09:34 PM
Should be a fun adventure. Can't wait to read about it. Does the A380 have wifi you can use?

MacTime
8th March 2010, 09:37 PM
While you're gone, who's in charge? Also, if there be an unfortunate accident and you don't return, who are you leaving MacTalk to?

cosmichobo
8th March 2010, 09:38 PM
Can I just say... just forget sight seeing - go straight there and get 1st place. Even if that means standing in front of the doors whilst they're actually serving other customers on the days leading up to Day 1.

That'll get media attention. :)

jesse
8th March 2010, 09:40 PM
5th avenue was my first port of call when I was in NY a while back, even at 2am it was still exciting.

thebookfreak58
8th March 2010, 09:42 PM
This is so over-the-top for a gadget but the geek inside is so excited for ya!

Good luck decryption!

El Guardo
8th March 2010, 09:46 PM
So ridiculous it's fantastic.

gareth
8th March 2010, 09:49 PM
wow could be good advertising for mactalk.

Is there a limit on how many you can buy?

changa
8th March 2010, 09:52 PM
You should try to visit the mother ship and go to the Apple Company Store in Cupertino!

I am also going to be in the US when the iPad goes on sale, but I will be in Los Angeles on the 4th April.

I was going to wait for the 3G version, but might be tempted to get the wifi version instead.

bartron
8th March 2010, 09:54 PM
Is there a personal limit to how many you can buy (let alone take on the plane with you out of the US and back into the country)?

I'm imagining walking up as #1 iPad customer "I'll have 5,000 iPads please...do you ship to Australia?"

You guys are so going to be on the next episode of "Boarder Security" trying to explain yourselves.

cosmichobo
8th March 2010, 09:57 PM
Actually, it's probably worth giving Customs a call, decryption... in all seriousness, just in case it will save you time/hassle if there is particular forms/etc to complete before actually arriving back in the country with a commercial quantity of electronics goods...

Albert_Thurgood
8th March 2010, 10:11 PM
Great stuff! I will be in the US the week after Easter, so was planning on bringing one back before they go on sale here.

decryption
8th March 2010, 10:11 PM
So ridiculous it's fantastic.

That's exactly it :)

marc
8th March 2010, 10:21 PM
This is so crazy. Love it.

While you're gone, who's in charge?

ANARCHY!

Also, if there be an unfortunate accident and you don't return, who are you leaving MacTalk to?

With Decryption gone, there won't be unfortunate accidents ;)

jack112006
8th March 2010, 10:32 PM
With Decryption gone, there won't be unfortunate accidents ;)

Quite possibly the funniest thing I have read all day. Also, doesn't the 5th Av. store stay open 24/7. Now, unless Apple close it for an 8am opening or something, you will have iPads in your hands by 12:01am, April 3!

xpv43
8th March 2010, 10:33 PM
Brilliant idea, decryption. I applaud you. And fulltimecasual, of course.

Japester
8th March 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm so envious it hurts.

Phillo
8th March 2010, 10:36 PM
Actually, it's probably worth giving Customs a call, decryption... in all seriousness, just in case it will save you time/hassle if there is particular forms/etc to complete before actually arriving back in the country with a commercial quantity of electronics goods...

Good move!! I just got back from thailand and the entry card back into australia asked if i had goods worth more than $900 australian dollars. You maybe required to pay GST on them on your return.

Also remember that if you buy the iPads retail... you will also have to pay NY state and city taxes totalling an additional 8.875% on the bill

(for info... see here: Sales and Use Tax (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/business/business_tax_nys_sales.shtml) )

also... have a look at the customs information here: clearing goods through customs (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4264.asp)

If you have paid tax in the USA... you MAY not have to pay it when you return to australia.... but I would check with customs first as that assumption maybe wrong.

That said.... I would love to be there with you guys. I am very jealous!

Chief911
8th March 2010, 10:41 PM
Any chance of a podcast in the line, do a little PR for mactalk, also make sure you change all the homepages!

Good luck guys!

Scubasnaps
8th March 2010, 10:59 PM
I have bought stuff in NY city before and those city taxes sure add up. Maybe there is a way to get them refunded if you are exporting the item?
I'm assuming you'll be getting a domestic flight back to LA and you'll be bringing the iPads with you as carry on. As long as the TSA people can inspect the units you should be OK. If it's something unusual they may expect you to turn it on. That will also mean you'll have to discard (or check in separately) the packaging.
I found Aussie customs very reasonable for duty on computers in accompanied baggage - maybe I got a nice person on the day but she applied a 60% depreciation markdown on my new Macpro and gave a further discount so I paid less than $100 in total. However if you don't declare it they will not be so generous - you'd get away with 1 iPad without packaging but not several.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to sort out all the logistics and have a great time in NYC - self proclaimed capital of the world. Soon as you step onto a Manhattan street the vibe hits you - it's like nowhere else in the world.

Febs
8th March 2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds like fun mate. Make sure you enjoy other parts of NYC too - it's a great city! I've been 3 times in the last 3 years and still can't get enough. Next to Sydney, it's my favourite city in the world. :)

As someone who travels o/s fairly often, here's what you need to know re: customs:

As an adult, you have a $900 personal items limit. On top of this, 2.25L of alcohol, and 225 (or 250?) cigarettes. Plus some tobacco. Not sure, don't smoke.

If you go over any of these amounts, declare that you haven't got items with a total value over $900, and you are caught on re-entry into Australia, you pay customs/tax on the ENTIRE amount. Not the amount minus $900. Not sure what they'd value an iPad at, but I'd be guessing the AUD equivalent of their USD price, perhaps plus a bit. Plus of course, there can be big fines for declaring "No" to "Are you bringing in personal items over $900?" You're not going to be able to say that you brought all those iPads with you from Australia. :P

If the items are used, I believe you can claim depreciation, but even that's only around 25% from memory.

To be honest, it's not a huge deal if you're bringing in say some clothes, a camera, some golf clubs etc... Just make them seem "not new" (i.e. don't keep the boxes), and you'd be OK. Several iPads though? I'd be wary. I presume everyone will want them new/in-box, and that's going to look mighty suspicious.

Of course you might be lucky and they might just wave you through without a bag scan (they often do for me), but you might not be so lucky. I'd take cosmichobo's advice and see how much you'd be up for if you were to actually declare them.

Another option may be to send them back through the post, but then you run the risk of losing them, and you still may have to pay duties/tax.

But have a great trip! Can't wait to hear about it and see the photos. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

Febs
8th March 2010, 11:12 PM
I have bought stuff in NY city before and those city taxes sure add up. Maybe there is a way to get them refunded if you are exporting the item?

Unfortunately not. We offer such a service (TRS - Tourist Refund Scheme, which Aussie residents can take advantage of*), but the US doesn't.

Some shops (JC Penney from memory, and Zara in parts of Europe) offer a tax refund that can be claimed on departure, but the majority of shops don't, and I haven't found an Apple Store that does unfortunately.

* The TRS also counts towards your $900 personal items limit, if you're bringing the goods back. So for example - you buy a $400 camera here, and claim the 9.1% refund on departure. On your return, presuming you return with the camera (you don't have to, if it's a gift for someone in the US for example), then your personal items limit is $500.

Cheers,
- Febs.

iCantwait
8th March 2010, 11:28 PM
you will get an E-Passport so skip lining up with hoi polloi and go talk to a customs official when you have your bags and they will ask if you have stuff to declare, you say no they stamp your form and tell you to go to the far door and you can walk out with out being x-rayed.

I do it with cocaine every month.....

homerjay
8th March 2010, 11:38 PM
Well i just deposted $800 into the account, guess i just sit back and wait
maybe watch a bit of news to see if i see anybody got-arrested for Ipad importing

Sambo
8th March 2010, 11:44 PM
Haha, awesome. Will look forward to reading, listening, watching your trip. Will the Apple Store have a limit on how many you can purchase though? If you are planning on buying 10 or so, would the store have a problem with that?

Febs
8th March 2010, 11:48 PM
you will get an E-Passport so skip lining up with hoi polloi and go talk to a customs official when you have your bags and they will ask if you have stuff to declare, you say no they stamp your form and tell you to go to the far door and you can walk out with out being x-rayed.

I do it with cocaine every month.....

"D" stamps are great when they happen, but don't count on them all the time.

Trick is to get to the baggage carousel EARLY, have your Australian passport visible...and don't have your APEC card on display if you have one. :(

Cheers,
- Febs.

Comet
8th March 2010, 11:51 PM
Our of curiousity, what are you going to put down as the address that you'll be staying at when you enter the country?

One thing you have to do other than line up for this is to visit grimaldi's and have their awesome Brooklyn style pizza. You will not regret doing this.
Grimaldi's Pizzeria (http://www.grimaldis.com/2/Index.htm)

cosmichobo
9th March 2010, 12:18 AM
Depending what Customs say (ie before you go); may be an idea to take along documented proof that they are not all yours, and that you're not doing it for profit.

mwidjaya
9th March 2010, 12:42 AM
Wow. This is huge; in terms of how far to go to get an iPad pronto.

Well, I have a question - which iPad will you get for yourself? I take it Wifi only model (as 3G ones won't be avail. yet) but which one - 16/32/64 GB?

Personally, I will be getting one when it is avail. in Australia but am undecided on Wifi only or 3G ones, still.

kevinnugent
9th March 2010, 03:31 AM
Crazy kid! I love it!! You only live once. Just be prepared for the travel addiction that WILL follow ;)

tcn33
9th March 2010, 04:26 AM
You're nuts and I'm jealous :p

bawpcwpn
9th March 2010, 05:28 AM
Just remember the question, "Are you carrying items on behalf of another person?"

Geoff3DMN
9th March 2010, 06:10 AM
Wow!!

Suddenly I feel geekly inadequate LOL

Enjoy the trip :)

BLINDER
9th March 2010, 06:33 AM
I agree with Geoff3. This has the feel of the geek final frontier.
Travel well. Enjoy the cavity searches in the US.

(And seriously) do contact customs prior. The fact that this is already blogged...

decryption
9th March 2010, 07:23 AM
Just got off the phone with Customs - they said that as long as I pay the duty and GST on the items (15% of the entire haul - so if I have $15,000 worth of iPads, I pay $2250), they don't care. The iPad is not a restricted item (its not booze, tobacco, drugs or anything Quarantine related), so they're happy as long as I pay duty.

No doubt the customs offer will be "dude thats a lot of iPads" and I might get searched, but there shouldn't be any issues as long as I pay the GST & duty (which I have no problem doing).

u98925
9th March 2010, 07:49 AM
Dont you have to declare money taken in or out of the country....think its around the $10k mark?

Then again the Amex card could (and should) get a good work out :)

Sounds like one hell of a trip, wish I was coming along :cool:

gehenna
9th March 2010, 07:56 AM
Dont you have to declare money taken in or out of the country....think its around the $10k mark?

That's just for cash money

6andy6
9th March 2010, 08:10 AM
I would have thought its might be a case of bringing in items for commercial/retail sale that could be the problem (i.e bringing in 2 many thats its obviously not for personal use). I thought (or maybe I am confusing with another country) they ask that question exactly (are you bringing in goods in commercial quantitys for resale).

decryption
9th March 2010, 08:21 AM
I would have thought its might be a case of bringing in items for commercial/retail sale that could be the problem (i.e bringing in 2 many thats its obviously not for personal use). I thought (or maybe I am confusing with another country) they ask that question exactly (are you bringing in goods in commercial quantitys for resale).

I specifically asked customs about bringing in a commercial quantity and I was told that it will be fine, as long as I pay the duty (5%) and GST (10%). Customs also said that if I was bringing in say, 50 or 100, then yeah, that *might* be an issue - but 25-30 or so shouldn't be a problem.

kungfucamel
9th March 2010, 08:27 AM
Don't forget to put in for the Visa Waiver program...
Visa Waiver Program (http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/niv/vwp.html)

uncyherb
9th March 2010, 08:38 AM
Great stuff Anthony. I've been to NY and have great memories of the place. However, I did a bit more than just camp on 5th Avenue... but I didn't get interviewed by dozens of TV crews, which I'm certain will happen for you!!

robj
9th March 2010, 08:46 AM
Your the man, Dugg
The Fat Kid From St. Albans is Going to New York for an iPad (http://digg.com/apple/The_Fat_Kid_From_St_Albans_is_Going_to_New_York_fo r_an_iPad)

decryption
9th March 2010, 08:59 AM
Great stuff Anthony. I've been to NY and have great memories of the place. However, I did a bit more than just camp on 5th Avenue... but I didn't get interviewed by dozens of TV crews, which I'm certain will happen for you!!

I'm there for a bit over a week - Ill be a proper tourist for most of it! I hope I don't have to spend more than one night on the street :p

MissionMan
9th March 2010, 09:10 AM
Would love to get one but with a baby due in July I can just imagine what my wife would say and it would probably involve 4 letter words.

decryption
9th March 2010, 09:12 AM
Would love to get one but with a baby due in July I can just imagine what my wife would say and it would probably involve 4 letter words.

Sure? Love? :p

Phillo
9th March 2010, 09:23 AM
I specifically asked customs about bringing in a commercial quantity and I was told that it will be fine, as long as I pay the duty (5%) and GST (10%). Customs also said that if I was bringing in say, 50 or 100, then yeah, that *might* be an issue - but 25-30 or so shouldn't be a problem.

In that case.... put the transactions through the business.

You should be able to write the rest of the trip off then as a business expense!!

Peter Wells
9th March 2010, 09:24 AM
Your the man, Dugg
The Fat Kid From St. Albans is Going to New York for an iPad (http://digg.com/apple/The_Fat_Kid_From_St_Albans_is_Going_to_New_York_fo r_an_iPad)

and i stuck it on reddit.

Australian Heading to NY to buy the first iPad : technology (http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/bavg1/australian_heading_to_ny_to_buy_the_first_ipad/)

MissionMan
9th March 2010, 09:29 AM
Sure? Love? :p

Got a new job I am starting though which could mean a windows laptop. If that happens, I'll be trading my Macbook Pro in for an iMac i7 and then getting an iPad for mobility so its not totally off the cards, just don't think it will happen within the timeframes of your trip.

foovo
9th March 2010, 09:52 AM
Speaking of iPads - you'll need these for the line
Male Incontinence Super Underwear - Depend.com.au (http://www.depend.com.au/incontinence-aids/male/underwear-super/)

forno
9th March 2010, 09:57 AM

Haha, I here you! Thought I would get a Canon 40D! Firts born is nearly 3, second born nearly 7 months,and I dont have a 40D nevermond a 7D:eek:

Nisstrust
9th March 2010, 10:03 AM
if it was an ipad with 3G and wifi i'd be in! but alas.. goodluck with it all, make sure you go to Adorama and BH photo!

SRG
9th March 2010, 10:12 AM
Anthony good luck!

Again don't forget the Visa waiver mentioned by KungFu. You can not board the plane if you don't have it (you actually answer the same questions on arrival but the Airlines are not permitted to let you on without it).

One thing that concerns me there is you will need to state reason for trip business or personal. I think you may have to say business as the iPads on the way out may cause issues if you say personal trip then buy commercial quantities of iPads.

wullieb1
9th March 2010, 10:19 AM
Is a delay imminent lol

Apple's ipad delay is down to a software problem - The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1595373/apple-ipad-delay-software)

tcimac
9th March 2010, 10:20 AM
I'm also jealous.. not just because you are getting an iPad, but also because I miss...

Staying here (http://www.ymcanyc.org/west-side/guest-rooms/accommodations/)
Drinking out of one of these (http://shopexit9.com/images/products/detail/coffee_cup4.1.jpg)
Eating these (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/36447899_74b1a7c7d0.jpg)from one of these (http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/NYC-hot-dog-vendor-new-york-262102_1920_1440.jpg)
Better still, I would just plonk my fat arse here (http://www.nyhotdogcoffee.com/)for hours on end while I play with my iPad!!!!!

decryption
9th March 2010, 10:24 AM
NYC is being hyped quite a lot! I don't know what's more exciting - the iPad or the city :p
I've got a big fat list of things to see, so it will be semi travel blog and semi Apple nerd blogging too, heh.

Minkey
9th March 2010, 10:31 AM
This whole thing is awsome squared.

NYC my 2c: I traveled for five year before I got to New York, even thought it was on top of my list, it just took some time to get around to. Being such, it was a prime candidate to not live up to expectations.

Did it then?

It hit the ball outa the fuckin' park. This is a city that you can be entertained for days, just walking it's streets. In Australia we grow up with this city, even though we have never been, it's there in movies, television, novels, plays and musicals. When you arrive it's oddly familiar and surprising all at the same time. Dude you are up for an adventre.

Enjoy.

M

digoxin
9th March 2010, 10:43 AM
Wrote an email to David Pogue suggesting it would make a good NY Times story.
He replied to an email question last year so you never know.

gehenna
9th March 2010, 10:53 AM
This might help you get around in the big apple :)

8-Bit NYC (http://8bitnyc.com/)

tcimac
9th March 2010, 11:01 AM
OMFG!!! Anthony you have to go here (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/k-pizzacones-pizza-cones-come-to-nyc-midtown-manhattan-photos-video-review.html) - it only opened last week.

Peter Wells
9th March 2010, 11:09 AM
I'm also jealous.. not just because you are getting an iPad, but also because I miss...

Staying here (http://www.ymcanyc.org/west-side/guest-rooms/accommodations/)...

You wanna stay at the YMCA? :)

digoxin
9th March 2010, 11:20 AM
The first thing we did when arrived at NY was do a bus tour. It gives you the big picture stuff. The tour guide was a hoot and gave you the local flavour to places. We also did the Empire State Building as part of it and that gives a real bird's eye view of NY.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York: metmuseum.org (http://www.metmuseum.org/) was also awesome.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) and Home - International Center Of Photography (http://www.icp.org/) is also worth checking out.

digoxin
9th March 2010, 11:23 AM

He replied with the line

"I wish him well" dp

vecsty
9th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Gents.. this was made for you.

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward.

Maybe they have to be crazy.

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?

While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

tcn33
9th March 2010, 11:47 AM

I hear it's fun.

younge
9th March 2010, 11:48 AM
This whole thing reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld (wow, another NY reference!!):

Elaine: Hey, what do you think?
Jerry: Hey, I love a good caper.
Elaine: Yeah, that's what is is, a caper.

Hey, it might be a good idea to wear a t-shirt or sweater with MacTalk emblazoned on it!!! Plus, you could pimp the city out with MacTalk stickers in random locations...

decryption
9th March 2010, 12:05 PM
He replied with the line

"I wish him well" dp

heh, Mr. Pouge wishes me well :D

leachy
9th March 2010, 12:17 PM
Your gonna like the A380. Very spacious and technology friendly plane! :D

El Guardo
9th March 2010, 12:24 PM
This whole thing reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld (wow, another NY reference!!)

Unfortunately the Soup Nazi has moved on from his original location...

NYC is being hyped quite a lot! I don't know what's more exciting - the iPad or the city :p

The city, by a long way.

El Guardo
9th March 2010, 12:30 PM
Last time I was in New York I jogged down the middle of 5th Avenue from East 41st to East 22nd at about 4:00pm.

foovo
9th March 2010, 12:42 PM
Your visit will clash with Passover so you'll want to get to B&H before the 29th of March - it and quite a few other good shops shut down for the whole week - not just the usual Friday/Saturday sabbath.

spargo
9th March 2010, 12:45 PM
Last time I was there I went for a jog at about 6am from E27th, up Park Ave to the 90's, then back down 5th Ave to 27th.

Only drama was that it was December, and they'd had half a foot of snow the night before. Wet socks, freezing my tits off, the locals thought I was nuts. But it was the best run I've ever done.

Forget the iPad queuing. Get out of the camping chair and see the 2nd greatest city on the planet..

:)

decryption
9th March 2010, 12:46 PM
Forget the iPad queuing. Get out of the camping chair and see the 2nd greatest city on the planet..)

I'm there for a week - I've got time to see the place :)

Cybix
9th March 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure you will need to pay Duty on the iPad's because of the FTA (free trade agreement) with the USA and Australia. Although that may be on goods only MADE in the USA, not purchased in the USA. (made in China doesn't cut the mustard)

exciting! There better be ustreaming of the queue at the store! :)

mitty
9th March 2010, 01:18 PM
Very Jealous. I wonder how early you'll need to line up. If you can be first it would be ten kinds of awesome.

Hope your passport comes through quick you're cutting it a bit fine :) And yes, as mentioned above, remember the Visa Waiver program.

The worst thing about New York is the Transit through LAX. It was seriously just a horrific experience, I don't envy you one iota.

And when you come home, be at the airport 6 hours early, seriously. We barely made our flight and we left four hours early and that was before the latest round of stupid security precautions.

decryption
9th March 2010, 01:29 PM
Very Jealous. I wonder how early you'll need to line up. If you can be first it would be ten kinds of awesome.

Hope your passport comes through quick you're cutting it a bit fine :) And yes, as mentioned above, remember the Visa Waiver program.

The worst thing about New York is the Transit through LAX. It was seriously just a horrific experience, I don't envy you one iota.

And when you come home, be at the airport 6 hours early, seriously. We barely made our flight and we left four hours early and that was before the latest round of stupid security precautions.

Oh dear - my flight leaves JFK at 18:55 (on a Saturday). What time should I leave Manhattan to get that flight in time?

I've heard people moan about the transfer at LAX. The flight from LAX to JFK is a QF flight (not a codeshare), so will that make it easier, or will it still be painful?

jml383
9th March 2010, 01:34 PM
Oh dear - my flight leaves JFK at 18:55 (on a Saturday). What time should I leave Manhattan to get that flight in time?

I hope they don't go on sale at 1800hrs on the Sat...

zillatron
9th March 2010, 01:43 PM
I respect this kind of commitment to geekyness :D

Good luck and Jobs speed.
Dan

u98925
... so will that make it easier, or will it still be painful?

...this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Y_Jelly) :p

decryption
I hope they don't go on sale at 1800hrs on the Sat...

I wonder how much it is to change a flight, if that ends up being the case, hah. Maybe I should change it to Sunday regardless.

(though Apple has done these in the past on a Sat morning - they could do it at night...)

tcimac
9th March 2010, 01:51 PM

Ha ha.. I just realised the innuendo of making a comment like that...

but in all seriousness, it is a great place to stay if you are on a budget. Air Con & Cable TV in a private room !!!

foovo
9th March 2010, 01:52 PM
The flight from LAX to JFK is a QF flight (not a codeshare), so will that make it easier, or will it still be painful?

Last time I did this it was a bit like District 9. Because you aren't going through customs until JFK, they put you in a Gitmo style internment room while they get the plane ready for the next leg. It's an experience anyhow. Surely they'll be doing a midnight launch in which case you'll be OK, otherwise you are playing it a bit fine. The NY cabbies can floor it if you're running late and they drive like it's GTA IV

El Guardo
9th March 2010, 02:30 PM
But in all seriousness, it is a great place to stay if you are on a budget. Air Con & Cable TV in a private room !!!

Or, instead of braving the elements with all the other plebs, why not stay across the road (http://www.theplaza.com/) from the cube? Remember, the fat kid from St. Albans only lives once...

nbetts
9th March 2010, 02:49 PM
Or, instead of braving the elements with all the other plebs, why not stay across the road (http://www.theplaza.com/) from the cube? Remember, the fat kid from St. Albans only lives once...

$925 a night for that. Would be awsome. And i would be tempted to tip in some money for him! but would take a lot of tips to make up that room rate.

Oh yeah, dont forget tipping Anthony. In the US they stick your hand out if you fart! Add 15% onto everything!

ozerus
9th March 2010, 02:53 PM

I've heard people moan about the transfer at LAX. The flight from LAX to JFK is a QF flight (not a codeshare), so will that make it easier, or will it still be painful?

When I did a transfer LAX to Colorado, you had to change from International to Domestic, the transfer was painless and quick however LAX is just so big that it's easy to get lost so just make sure to keep your eyes open and the security guards/workers there where helpful in directing me in the right direction.

LAX is MASSIVE and I mean when I was there it was like three times larger (or more) then Sydney International airport and it's had extensions added since I was there 9 years ago.

kyte
9th March 2010, 04:09 PM
I've heard people moan about the transfer at LAX.

Its HORRIBLE. If ever I go back I'll be going via SFO as I did the first time. easypeasy and FAST (even though it was a bit of a dash from gate 1 to gate 73 - I went to Boston)

mitty
9th March 2010, 04:16 PM

Not AS painful, simply because it's all in the same terminal.

But when you get to LAX you have to clear customs... which can take AGES. Be very nice and respectful of the customs guys.

Once you get through, and collect your bags, you may or may not have your bags searched... we didn't, they just let us through. Then you'll magically find qantas staff on the other side to point you in the right direction. When we were there the Tom Bradley Terminal was under renovation and it was just a disaster area. Once you get upstairs and check your bags in again (yep... you have to carry them yourself) you then have to go back through security and all that entails, before finally boarding your flight to NYC. We literally had about 5 minutes to get our prebought AT&T Sim's up and running before we had to get back on the plane.

Because it's Qantas though, it's unlikely they'll leave without you if you are delayed at customs for whatever reason due the crowds. If you were switching to another airline though, forget it!

But at least at LAX you may run into little Petey. You should ring Qantas and try to get seated together on the LAX-NYC leg.

tcn33
9th March 2010, 04:16 PM
Avoiding LA in favor of SF is just good advice in general.

mitty
9th March 2010, 04:21 PM
Last time I did this it was a bit like District 9. Because you aren't going through customs until JFK, they put you in a Gitmo style internment room while they get the plane ready for the next leg. It's an experience anyhow. Surely they'll be doing a midnight launch in which case you'll be OK, otherwise you are playing it a bit fine. The NY cabbies can floor it if you're running late and they drive like it's GTA IV

How long ago was that? You now go through customs at your first point of entry into the US... so in this case, LAX. The LAX-NYC flight is then essentially just a domestic flight, but it's only every got people from the MEL and SYD-LAX flights on it. I think it's been like this since September 11.

If I every go back to the US I will only do so if I can avoid LAX. I'd already been there once before in 1997, you think I'd have learnt my lesson then. Have definitely learnt it now, what a horrific excuse for an airport it is.

dotnet
9th March 2010, 04:27 PM
You guys are quite the geeks… :shocked:

While you're camping outside The Cube say hello to Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj from me :D

Cheers
Steffen.

Phillo
9th March 2010, 04:37 PM

Qantas run the LAX - JFK flight as a domestic flight. As mentioned previously, you will go through customs in LA.

My experience is that Qantas have 3 flights from AU (SYD, MEL & BRIS) all land in LAX at the same time and then they move all the NYC bound passengers onto the one plane. Both times I have done that flight, I have had to wait because the sydney flight was delayed and they wouldnt leave without those passengers.

When you get to JFK, the best way to get into/out of the city is via SuperShuttle. (SUPERSHUTTLE - Airport Shuttle | Airport Transfer | (http://www.supershuttle.com/)) it costs about $20 - $25 per person into manhattan (plus tip). They will drop you to your door. MUCH cheaper than a cab.

If you are looking for accommodation, do a search for apartment rentals. There are heaps that have Cable, WiFi and other luxuries. They are MUCH cheaper than hotel rooms and you get some spare space to lounge around if you want.

It was mentioned before, but Grimaldi's is a must. If you are feeling energetic, after the pizza, walk back into manhattan accross the brooklyn bridge.... a great walk and good photo opportunities.

If you are doing touristy things.... another good thing to pick up is a citypass. (New York CityPass: Visit 6 New York attractions for just $79.00 per pass, a $144.00 value! (http://www.citypass.com/city/ny.html)) Its worth every penny and saves you from paying at some of the main locations.

Leaving: When you are leaving.... if you have a 18:55 flight, you dont want to be picked up any later than 4pm. However... I would go 3 - 3:30pm at the very latest.

If I think of anything else... I will add to this post!

Chief911
9th March 2010, 04:45 PM
Good luck and Jobs speed.
Dan

HAHAHAHAH LoLz

decryption
9th March 2010, 04:47 PM
To change our flights to leave Sunday instead of Saturday, it will be $440 for the both of us.

We also get to bypass LAX and go direct from Syd to NY.

Reckon it's worth it?

brawlster
9th March 2010, 04:54 PM
I wonder how much it is to change a flight, if that ends up being the case, hah. Maybe I should change it to Sunday regardless.

(though Apple has done these in the past on a Sat morning - they could do it at night...)

Have you already booked the flight ? V Australia planes have USB ports (even in cattle class) so you can at least have something to play with on that long flight home. Otherwise you'll barely have time to top up that little iPad....

jb

wholikespotatoes
9th March 2010, 05:01 PM
Have you already booked the flight ? V Australia planes have USB ports (even in cattle class) so you can at least have something to play with on that long flight home. Otherwise you'll barely have time to top up that little iPad....

jb

So does the A380 Qantas flight he has booked. If you can actually get the usb plug into the port (always seem to be quite stiff).

nike1
9th March 2010, 05:01 PM
To change our flights to leave Sunday instead of Saturday, it will be $440 for the both of us.

Reckon it's worth it?

not that ive travelled overseas.. but if you have the $$$, then do it

Phillo
9th March 2010, 05:33 PM

Reckon it's worth it?

NO. The flights will still go through LAX. no plane has the range to go directly from AU to NYC.

If they say its direct... it might mean that you dont have to change planes... but you will have to land in LA.

gareth
9th March 2010, 05:36 PM
^the A380s might they carry huge amounts of fuel :)

decryption
9th March 2010, 05:39 PM
NO. The flights will still go through LAX. no plane has the range to go directly from AU to NYC.

If they say its direct... it might mean that you dont have to change planes... but you will have to land in LA.

Ahh, you're right - the flight stops at Los Angeles. Will I still endure LAX pain, or because I don't leave the plane, I don't get the whole customs thing at LAX?

Phillo
9th March 2010, 05:40 PM
^the A380s might they carry huge amounts of fuel :)

They do... but not enough for this trip.

The a380 has a range of 15,000k's but the flight between NYC and JFK is 16,043km's.

Also... the qantas website states that: "this service operates via los angeles"

Plan - Route Maps - International (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/route-maps/global/en)

Ahh, you're right - the flight stops at Los Angeles. Will I still endure LAX pain, or because I don't leave the plane, I don't get the whole customs thing at LAX?

Not sure about that... I have only ever done the MEL to JFK via LAX route.

That said.... its actually not that bad providing the plane from LAX to JFK is running on time.

TRUST ME... after 15 hours on a plane... you will want to get off that thing... even if its only for an hour or so.

Both times I went, my flight was the only one coming through customs.... so its not that bad.

The midnight flight from LAX - MEL is the hellish one. There were HEAPS of flights leaving LAX around the same time. The terminal was really really busy!

wholikespotatoes
9th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Normally you have to leave the plane on the stopover no matter what ?

iCantwait
9th March 2010, 05:48 PM
You should have a disclaimer on the offer that buyers might not get a full refund if you cannot secure an iPad for all customers and its on a first come first serve basis

decryption
9th March 2010, 05:49 PM
You should have a disclaimer on the offer that buyers might not get a full refund if you cannot secure an iPad for all customers and its on a first come first serve basis

Already thought of that :)

homerjay
9th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Anthony. how many are you buying or hope to buy, I am #7

Tiprya
9th March 2010, 07:12 PM

You will have to get off the plane and go through the customs entry ("are you going to stay here and work illegally" have good answers for the where are you staying and for how long).

Then you will be ferried to the plane after it has refuelled (to a new gate) but they wait for everyone (and call those that are late) as a lot of people carry on.

Best flight I've had was QANTAS LA>NY as everyone had disembarked so anyone who wanted had a full row to lie down on, but I chose the 'harass the stewards for free alcohol all flight' option.

The LAX pain isnt too bad, since you arn't in any danger of missing your flight, they know how long it all takes.

Returning the other way I assume it works the same way - don't know the best way to get back to JFK, we flew out of La Guardia.

rustyshelf
9th March 2010, 07:35 PM
I am #3 (behind Anthony and an un-named other). EXCITED! If I didn't have 2 kids and a wife I would go as well, it should be one awesome experience!

I hope it all goes smoothly, and you bring us back some bling from the land that floweth with Bacon & iPads!

decryption
9th March 2010, 07:38 PM
Anthony. how many are you buying or hope to buy, I am #7

Got 14 people paid up now :)

wholikespotatoes
9th March 2010, 07:42 PM
Got 14 people paid up now :)

That's the airfare. Nice work.

rustyshelf
9th March 2010, 07:44 PM

It's only the airfare should Anthony manage to pull this off, give the guy some credit, he's taking some risks here and it's a pretty gutsy move! But that's why it's sooooo awesome!

In case it's not obvious I'm excited :D

decryption
9th March 2010, 07:48 PM

It's great there's interest, but I still gotta book a hotel too :confused: (I'm looking at $150/night for somewhere decent ish, and I will be there 9 nights - leaving NYC on the 4th of April). This passport will be close to $300. Plus the other miscellaneous expenses. My credit cards are gonna all be maxed out again (after finally paying them off too!)

canonafficionado
9th March 2010, 07:58 PM

That was a great idea. I want to see the story get a mention in the NY Times!!

I never expected anyone to go and get one (let alone lots of them), and to see the trip you guys have planned is fantastic. Have fun guys!

Febs
9th March 2010, 08:09 PM

Last two times I transited through LAX I went from sitting on the plane, to standing outside the airport with my checked luggage, in a shade over 10 minutes. No joke.

Having said that....yeah, LAX is a f*cking nightmare, and the above is most definitely not the norm. :P

Cheers,
- Febs.

cosmichobo
9th March 2010, 08:13 PM
The only reason to pay off credit cards is to run them up again... right?

iCantwait
9th March 2010, 08:15 PM
$40 flat rate from Manhattan to JFK says the side of every yellow cab. Just get the subway though, White people can carry bags on the subway and no one cares.... (thats quoting fyi). I did it 8th ave > JFK with bags and it was fine.

Quick tip about the ticket system in NYC. You can get a reloadable ticket and every time you swipe it it will open the gate so if you swipe one ticket twice you can get two people in to the subway - no ticket inspectors once your in.

Febs
9th March 2010, 08:16 PM

The LAX stop for QF108 is pretty easy. You clear customs etc.. in JFK so it just means stepping off the plane in LAX for a while, stocking up on duty-free grog, then jumping back on. :)

Oh, and you'll swear you've arrived in Australia early. Due to all the AU-bound flights in LAX late at night, there are Aussie EVERYWHERE. Thongs and boardies as far as the eye can see. :lol:

If you have any long(ish) stopovers anywhere, it might be worth getting a single-use Qantas club pass from eBay (there's none up there now, but they often show up). Having a shower in LAX before the long LAX-SYD flight, as well as a beer and a meal, is heaven (I'd send you a few for free, but I'm all out).

Oh, and Track Flight Status, Airport Delays and other Flight and Airport Information (http://www.flightstats.com) is a pretty decent website for checking if your flight will be on time. If it's QF108 (aka QF10late), it won't be, guaranteed. ;)

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: I highly recommend taking full advantage of the GFC (which is still very much in full swing in the US) and having a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant, like Jean Georges (currently somewhere round 19th best in the world). It's barely 5min walk from the Apple Store on 5th, and they have a 2 course $29 lunch special. Ridiculously good value. Jean-Georges.com (http://www.jean-georges.com/) Just book early. :)

macrob69
9th March 2010, 08:38 PM
This is magical and revolutionary Anthony - would love to be there too....

mitty
9th March 2010, 09:08 PM
Coming back, there is no going through customs or anything, it's much less painful at LAX on the JFK-MEL return leg. Having said that, they made us wait at the tiniest little gate. Me and my husband found a powerpoint on a wall in front of everyone and proceeded to charge our iphones, please we had heaps of data left on our prepaid AT&T plans so we just went nuts surfing and sending emails and photos to people.

Then we had to catch a BUS from the terminal. It was a ten minute drive to our 747 which was parked in the middle of the desert or something, and then when we finally boarded and everyone on it was another half hour of taxi-ing before we were in the air.

There was also LOTS of taxi-ing at JFK as well.

Re JFK, we caught the Skytrain to Jamaica station, and change to the Long Island Railroad which took us to Atlantic Avenue where we changed to a subway to where we were staying. We stayed in Brooklyn at a place we found on Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb (http://www.airbnb.com) which was just awesome and SO cheap. Was just like being a real New Yorker.

Anthony, remember that app I once spoke about on Can Touch this? MetrO, download it and get the New York stuff loaded, it is indispensable for helping you navigate the subway.

Remember on the subway, don't stare at people... they don't stare at you. It's very different to being on a train here where you catch people checking you out sometimes for whatever reason. That just doesn't happen there at all.

ZacDavies
9th March 2010, 11:23 PM
Quoting what I feel are some of the best points..

As long as the TSA people can inspect the units you should be OK.

Get a TSA approved lock. It has a special hole they can insert their TSA key into and therefore open and close the lock. They WILL break off your non-TSA lock if you don't use one.

http://img.skitch.com/20100309-mkb33iurii9tgd2c8xnwkih8m1.jpg

WikiAnswers - What is a TSA luggage lock (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_TSA_luggage_lock)

Your visit will clash with Passover so you'll want to get to B&H before the 29th of March - it and quite a few other good shops shut down for the whole week - not just the usual Friday/Saturday sabbath.

Very solid point, worth looking into - even if perhaps unavoidale. NYC has a large Jewish population so alot of the traditional holidays are observed commercially.

Last time I did this it was a bit like District 9. Because you aren't going through customs until JFK, they put you in a Gitmo style internment room while they get the plane ready for the next leg. It's an experience anyhow.

This gets close to describing how terrible it is going SYD>LAX>NYC for me. Fucking uncomfortable room with no clothes, single seater seats and no food.

Oh yeah, dont forget tipping Anthony. In the US they stick your hand out if you fart! Add 15% onto everything!

Tipping is huge, remember to be (their version of) courteous.

LAX is just so big that it's easy to get lost

A quick search for "LAX airport" on AppShopper shows lots of potential iphone apps (http://appshopper.com/search/?cat=&search=LAX+airport&sourceid=Mozilla-search), including..

http://images.appshopper.com/screenshots/347/311167_4.jpg

App Shopper: LAX Los Angeles World Airport Stats (Travel) (http://appshopper.com/travel/lax-los-angeles-world-airport-stats)

http://images.appshopper.com/screenshots/307/206124_4.jpg

App Shopper: Airport Gates (Travel) (http://appshopper.com/travel/airport-gates)

&

http://images.appshopper.com/screenshots/321/013850.jpg

App Shopper: Airport Maps (Travel) (http://appshopper.com/travel/airport-maps)

Once you get upstairs and check your bags in again (yep... you have to carry them yourself)

Def buy a bag with WHEELS to truck home all those iPads! You might seriously regret this potential mistake :p

You should ring Qantas and try to get seated together on the LAX-NYC leg.

Dude, totally! I'd totally want a fellow nerd to gush over the cutting edge Cupertino swag with.

Def ask about USB chargers in-flight for your exact flight number / plane. Otherwise, perhaps find some iPhone charger that should potentially charge your iPads? I imagine you'll be an unhappy nerd when the gadgets die and the nearest (working) TV is halfway down the plane (as was the case on my recent Hawaii trip).

If you have any long(ish) stopovers anywhere, it might be worth getting a single-use Qantas club pass from eBay (there's none up there now, but they often show up). Having a shower in LAX before the long LAX-SYD flight, as well as a beer and a meal, is heaven

This sounds like one of those fucking amazng tips you only get from seasoned travellerers. Def look out for / actively find one these. The LAX stopover IS hell.

PS: I highly recommend taking full advantage of the GFC (which is still very much in full swing in the US) and having a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant, like Jean Georges (currently somewhere round 19th best in the world). It's barely 5min walk from the Apple Store on 5th, and they have a 2 course $29 lunch special. Ridiculously good value. Jean-Georges.com (http://www.jean-georges.com/) Just book early. :)

Hah. That is another awesome tip. May never happen again in our lifetime..

Me and my husband found a powerpoint on a wall in front of everyone and proceeded to charge our iphones

Huge travel tip from me, buy a US power board or at least a dual plug. When you have the only power-plug for miles - you will not be popular with your fellow passengers when you hog it for yourself.

More tips from my own experience..

Buy a proper solid one piece US to AUS power converter plug. DO NOT buy one of those "omg I can convert power for any country in the world, just twist the power prongs to fit your country of choice" types. I have had a near fatal shock with one.. verrry risky devices.

http://img.skitch.com/20100309-kwcqp3w53epcbf6jd6uux1fik9.jpg

Buy a Korjo brand adaptor off eBay (Sydney seller, $18.90 including shipping (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Korjo-Australian-to-USA-Travel-Plug-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ140359769596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Travel_Acc?hash=item20ae181dfc)). I used this exact brand (which I bought from Syd airport) and it worked great. I'd send you mine but I can't fucking find it.

http://img.skitch.com/20100309-e618d99e74nghukt1wg966ybr5.jpg

Please, just.. don't.

P.S.
Fuck yeah pizzacones (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/k-pizzacones-pizza-cones-come-to-nyc-midtown-manhattan-photos-video-review.html)
Fuck yeah Metropolation Museum of Art (http://www.metmuseum.org/). Hello, Ferris Bueller?
Fuck yeah TekServe (http://www.tekserve.com/about/). One of the oldest (1987) and most respected Apple resellers in the world. Also featured on MacHeads documentary and Sex & the City (lol). They have alot of vintage Mac coolness on display.
Fuck yeah FAO Schwar (http://www.fao.com/home/index.jsp)z. You wouldn't think a toy store could be this cool, but it is. Also, it's where Tom Hanks played the piano in Big.
Fuck yeah Shake Shack (http://shakeshack.com/). Established since I was there but I've heard nothing but good things on the blogosphere.

P.P.S.
I'll mail you my US iPhone charger / USB charger.

http://img.skitch.com/20100309-ed3dgwdpx76hwdcx1wiqaa172x.jpg

iJohn
10th March 2010, 01:11 AM
Anth... Good on ya

But your one fat nerd lol

MightyAtom
10th March 2010, 01:22 AM
P.S.
Fuck yeah Metropolation Museum of Art (http://www.metmuseum.org/). Hello, Ferris Bueller?

Don't forget MoMA (http://www.moma.org/). Tickets are spendy, but admission is free Friday nights 4-8pm.

tcn33
10th March 2010, 07:28 AM
Def ask about USB chargers in-flight for your exact flight number / plane. Otherwise, perhaps find some iPhone charger that should potentially charge your iPads? I imagine you'll be an unhappy nerd when the gadgets die and the nearest (working) TV is halfway down the plane (as was the case on my recent Hawaii trip).

Airline Seating Charts - Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru (http://www.seatguru.com/) is very handy for working out the relative merits/detriments of your assigned seat, or for working out which seat to ask for. Though SeatGuru Seat Map Qantas Airways Airbus A380-800 (388) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_Airways_Airbus_A380.php) does say that on the A380:
Every seat offers a regular 110v AC power port as well as a USB port. In economy class, the power ports are near the footrests and the USB ports are in the armrests.

Byrd
10th March 2010, 09:04 AM
Get a TSA approved lock. It has a special hole they can insert their TSA key into and therefore open and close the lock. They WILL break off your non-TSA lock if you don't use one.

We had several of these locks (given to us before we went on our US honeymoon, in late 2009/early 2010); and US customs couldn't give two shits about cutting these off. Went through four of them in the end, and they're not cheap to buy.

Just get a handful of cheap locks, or don't bother locking your bag at all I reckon.

JB

mac_man_luke
10th March 2010, 09:15 AM
best way of locking your bag is zip ties - prevents your bag opening when being transported, makes taking a peek a bit harder and is easily removed by customs - also very cheap :)

wholikespotatoes
10th March 2010, 09:28 AM
A few pointers based on my experience on the Qantas A380...

When it comes to choosing your seat (can do this online around a week prior to departure off memory) seats 71D, 80A and 80K are the best (without paying extra for exit rows) as there is no seat in front of you. In this case the tray table and entertainment screen are attached to the armrest. If these are taken, seat 70E (where i sat) is good also as there is no seat next to you and you wont have anybody needing to climb over you to get out. Despite what seat guru says.. this seat is no narrower than normal.
Also worth noting that having a seat with the screen on the armrest means no watching during take-off/landing. This is 70E's advantage.
The A380s do feature a wireless network however when I flew (mid feb) you were unable to connect. Same with the inseat internet browsing.
The USB ports did seem to be a little stiff so it was difficult to plug in an iPod cord, perhaps i was just doing it wrong.
Power is located next to the footing net and some of those are shared.
Best thing about the entertainment system is the fact it has every best picture oscar winner from the last 40 years to choose from.
You also get treated to Cadbury hot chocolate complete with marshmallows.

Oh and lastly it sounds like you may need to be purchasing excess baggage allowance... while still expensive if you buy it online prior to going to the airport it is substantially cheaper.

marc
10th March 2010, 10:05 AM
Buy a Korjo brand adaptor off eBay (Sydney seller, $18.90 including shipping (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Korjo-Australian-to-USA-Travel-Plug-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ140359769596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Travel_Acc?hash=item20ae181dfc)). I used this exact brand (which I bought from Syd airport) and it worked great. I'd send you mine but I can't fucking find it.

Korjo are great, started in Melbourne and are still an Australian company.

When it comes to choosing your seat (can do this online around a week prior to departure off memory) seats 71D, 80A and 80K are the best (without paying extra for exit rows) as there is no seat in front of you.

A good place to find this kind of info out:
SeatGuru Seat Map Qantas Airways Airbus A380-800 (388) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_Airways_Airbus_A380.php)

Japester
10th March 2010, 10:16 AM
P.S.

I have to correct you. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ferris_Bueller%27s_Day_Off&oldid=348695759) was set in Chicago. Although the general principle still holds.

Bogus Jimmy
10th March 2010, 01:26 PM
I highly recommend taking full advantage of the GFC (which is still very much in full swing in the US) and having a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant, like Jean Georges (currently somewhere round 19th best in the world). It's barely 5min walk from the Apple Store on 5th, and they have a 2 course $29 lunch special. Ridiculously good value. Jean-Georges.com (http://www.jean-georges.com/) Just book early. :)

I went to the Plaza (http://www.theplaza.com/) (across the road from the 5th Ave Apple Store) for a light lunch, coffee, cafe and the Mrs had a champagne. When we went to pay the bill their POS system was down so it was on the house. Score!

ZacDavies
10th March 2010, 04:06 PM
I have to correct you. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ferris_Bueller%27s_Day_Off&oldid=348695759) was set in Chicago. Although the general principle still holds.

I am a shamed nerd :o

kungfucamel
10th March 2010, 04:39 PM
in regards to power - i usually take one of those travel adaptors and a 4 port australian power board with me - that way i can charge all my aussie devices that i need to at once. beats buying adaptors for another country that i may not travel to again.

glacierdave
10th March 2010, 05:15 PM
Remember that the USA is 110V not 230/240V. Many computer power supplies (the portable type anyway) won't care much but check anything you're planning to want to charge to make sure you can plug it in.

iphonedev
10th March 2010, 05:33 PM
Decryption,out of curiosity,How many mactalkers have responded positively to this thread? I have got two of my friends non- mactalkers interested! So wondering if there are any slots available to go with this deal!

decryption
10th March 2010, 05:36 PM
Decryption,out of curiosity,How many mactalkers have responded positively to this thread? I have got two of my friends non- mactalkers interested! So wondering if there are any slots available to go with this deal!

14 people have paid so far and I'm quite confident of being able to get more than that. So if you want an iPad, you better email me quickly :)
anthony.agius@mactalk.com.au

iphonedev
10th March 2010, 06:16 PM
14 people have paid so far and I'm quite confident of being able to get more than that. So if you want an iPad, you better email me quickly :)

Cool email coming!

Febs
10th March 2010, 10:40 PM
71D, 80A and 80K

+1 for these seats! Trouble is booking them - I'd be very surprised if they're not all gone already.

I had 71D in December and got a LOT of nasty looks from nearby passengers who thought I'd "been lucky" to score that seat. Ha.

On the return LAX-SYD (747) I got a double upgrade. Economy to Premium Economy, then an upgrade to Business at the gate. Sweet. :D

Cheers,
- Febs.

ParisHilton
11th March 2010, 03:24 PM
Get a girlfriend.

decryption
11th March 2010, 03:39 PM
Get a girlfriend.

I've been with my girlfriend now for over 6 years... we own a house together. Lame attempt at being a jerk - try harder next time.

ParisHilton
11th March 2010, 03:49 PM
It was a comment on the OP complaining about having so much free time due to his only commitments involve being a technology addict.

Edit: What happened there? First my comment was deleted, now visible again? :confused:

decryption
11th March 2010, 03:56 PM
It was a comment on the OP complaining about having so much free time due to his only commitments involve being a technology addict.

Edit: What happened there? First my comment was deleted, now visible again? :confused:

I'm the fat kid from St. Albans...

ParisHilton
11th March 2010, 04:01 PM
Well.

Loose some weight then.

Or something.

You can delete this post - just never seen a blog-bot before, i'm expressing frustration in post-form.

Hmmph.

decryption
11th March 2010, 04:07 PM
Well.

Loose some weight then.

Or something.

You can delete this post - just never seen a blog-bot before, i'm expressing frustration in post-form.

Hmmph.

I'll loosen some kilos ASAP ;)

rustyshelf
11th March 2010, 05:18 PM
There's nothing quite like 'loose' weight ;)

kevinnugent
11th March 2010, 05:41 PM
Man , I had pizza earlier tonight that just got loose!

iphonedev
11th March 2010, 11:20 PM

Quick qn: what about the warranty of the iPads bought in the US? Would it have warranty here in Aus?

fompsweeva
12th March 2010, 06:22 AM
The one positive of the LAX changover is that you can get straight off in NYC with no hassle.

The hassle usually is the long wait between flights, and it's usually delayed. Major pain in the arse.

cjm19
12th March 2010, 06:29 AM
See if you can get to the Hogs n Heffers bar in the meat packing district - Fun celebrity spotting in a rough and tumble setting. Also find any of the great Martini bars and numb that jet lag.

TheKeddi
12th March 2010, 07:50 AM
Get a girlfriend.

Awwww sounds like someone is jealous and would love to have the money to go, or get an ipad, poor thing :-(

nbetts
12th March 2010, 08:22 AM
I must stop reading this post. I have convinced myslef that waiting an extra few weeks is no big deal. But then middle child syndrome sets in and i think i am missing out on something.

6andy6
12th March 2010, 09:26 AM
Awwww sounds like someone is jealous and would love to have the money to go, or get an ipad, poor thing :-(

Lol...that would be lame in itself. You really think in your world someone would be jealous someone is getting an iPad and they are not????

:p

nbetts
12th March 2010, 09:35 AM
From memory i think the iPads were going up for presale on the 12th? thats means from tomorrow we may get an indication of how apple will sellthese devices and if there will be a limit per customer involved.

alvinng
12th March 2010, 11:01 AM
Can I put myself down for one? How much are we talking about for one for the 16gb $499USD one in Aussie dollars?

gehenna
12th March 2010, 12:41 PM
For anyone interested, TUAW seem to think USA pre-orders can take place from 5:30am PST on Friday March 12th (tomorrow Au time I think).

See here (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/11/how-soon-is-now-pre-order-timing-for-ipad/)

Lutze
12th March 2010, 01:24 PM
This may well put a damper on things...

In other news, these corporate reps are saying that individuals will be limited to two iPads/person initially until supply catches up with demand globally...which might be awhile.

Taken from this (http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-corp)article on 9to5mac

hangdog
12th March 2010, 02:01 PM
Watch out for bedbugs (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/garden/11bedbug.html?ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all).

Orright, I'm just being a bastard because I'd love to go myself. ;-)

decryption
12th March 2010, 02:47 PM
Preorders happen at midnight tonight, Melb time. I'll be ready at 11:30 :)

kevinnugent
12th March 2010, 02:57 PM
Just set up a US account to reserve one - in 8 hours 33 mins.

dawsman
12th March 2010, 03:10 PM
If you have any long(ish) stopovers anywhere, it might be worth getting a single-use Qantas club pass from eBay (there's none up there now, but they often show up). Having a shower in LAX before the long LAX-SYD flight, as well as a beer and a meal, is heaven (I'd send you a few for free, but I'm all out).

I tried this at the oneworld lounge in LAX and they wouldn't let me in with 2 Qantas club single-use guest passes for myself and a colleague. We had an unexpected 12-hour stopover at LAX :mad:. I think they have restrictions due to limited capacity and/or the large number of people that go through.

Angsty
12th March 2010, 03:14 PM
Sent story tip of this trip to TUAW - you may get a story now that the iPad pre-order hour is nigh...

Ang :)

uncyherb
12th March 2010, 03:41 PM
Preorders happen at midnight tonight, Melb time. I'll be ready at 11:30 :)

I was trolling this thread, and the FAQ, just to be sure you were on top of this... of course I needn't have worried.

You tha' man Anthony.

Keving
12th March 2010, 03:55 PM
Just set up a US account to reserve one - in 8 hours 33 mins.

Don't you need a US credit card & address to do this?

kevinnugent
12th March 2010, 04:08 PM
I used my Oz credit card, but gave my in-laws address (they live in the US).
Seemed to work OK as I set the account up with "One Click" buying and they verified the card OK.

I'm also just reserving for pickup at Apple too, so hopefully it'll work or i'll be lined up early on the 3rd. ;)

decryption
12th March 2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I don't plan on pre-ordering via the online store, I wanna go pick them up. I dunno what Apple has planned though. Will see what happens on the day.

dolbinau
12th March 2010, 07:23 PM
Is it possible all iPads could go to pre-orders? (i.e. are you sure you want to risk that?)

decryption
12th March 2010, 07:54 PM
I will be pre-ordering, but at the retail store, not the online store.

thats awesome
12th March 2010, 08:54 PM
Out of interest, is anyone sponsoring the two of for this trip? I'm guessing money is coming from the MacTalk revenue, is there a form of income from elsewhere?

maclab
12th March 2010, 11:09 PM
Yes you will be able to pre order and have the option to pick up from the store for the USA release

Alessiman
13th March 2010, 12:00 AM
I can get a U.S iPad shipped to my office in IL and then forwarded to me in Melbourne. However they seem to only accept U.S Credit Cards :(

Does anyone know of a way to get around this as I think a few of us will be in the same situation

mac_man_luke
13th March 2010, 12:21 AM
some CCs will work, others wont

Give it a go

Alessiman
13th March 2010, 12:30 AM
some CCs will work, others wont

Give it a go

I'll give it a go. About to jump on a plane to Vegas so will check this out in a couple of hours :)

TheKeddi
13th March 2010, 09:17 AM
This story says that preorders are through the roof and if you change from post to pick up in store you may not get one on April the 3rd?

I hope you can still get yours Anthony!!!!

iPad sales through the roof? Shortages ahead? | 9 to 5 Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/ipad-shortages-3450934696?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29)

cosmichobo
13th March 2010, 01:55 PM
Just a little thought... insurance? Would any insurer cover you for 2 dozen iPads "away from home" loss in case anyone tries to nick them/baggage handlers destroy them?

mitty
13th March 2010, 04:25 PM
So did the Apple site crash during the pre-orders? I wonder if we'll be able to pre-order here.

Or even better if I'll be able to get one from my telco of choice ;)

decryption
13th March 2010, 04:33 PM
Just a little thought... insurance? Would any insurer cover you for 2 dozen iPads "away from home" loss in case anyone tries to nick them/baggage handlers destroy them?

I have travel insurance, which covers my baggage, but not for the amount I require :(

The most I could find was $5,000. Need at least $15,000 of coverage for lost baggage.

cosmichobo
13th March 2010, 05:21 PM
I have travel insurance, which covers my baggage, but not for the amount I require :(

The most I could find was $5,000. Need at least $15,000 of coverage for lost baggage.

Don't know what it would cost... but you SHOULD be able to ask to speak to a insurance specialist to get a special ruling for your desired coverage... (ie just with any of the major insurers)

I know when I was at TIO, there was specialists who were basically just sitting around deciding how much to charge for "different" or big insureds.

Scubasnaps
13th March 2010, 05:51 PM
If you are thinking of baggage insurance then I assume you'll be checking the iPads in as checked luggage - not carry on? Is 13 Ipads between 2 people too much for carry on?
I think you'd be better to carry them on if you can - that way they are never out of your sight and you eliminate the risk of some baggage handler or TSA dude taking / roughly handling some or all.

kevinnugent
13th March 2010, 06:03 PM
The airlines won't normally weigh your carry on luggage unless it's a real budget one OR the bag looks too big and/or appears very heavy. That said, what does an iPad packaged up weigh? 1.5 to 2 kg? It'll boil down to how big the boxes are I'd imagine.

decryption
13th March 2010, 06:05 PM
My carry on luggage (computer, camera, kindle, etc.) is already 6KG, so I don't think I'll be bringing the iPads back via carry-on. They'll probably be packed into a strong box, padded like no tomorrow and checked-in at JFK.

Jaste
13th March 2010, 06:26 PM
My carry on luggage (computer, camera, kindle, etc.) is already 6KG, so I don't think I'll be bringing the iPads back via carry-on. They'll probably be packed into a strong box, padded like no tomorrow and checked-in at JFK.

Well you won't need to bring the Kindle back ;-) Did you get a hardened suitcase or just lots of bubble wrap?

decryption
13th March 2010, 06:39 PM
Well you won't need to bring the Kindle back ;-) Did you get a hardened suitcase or just lots of bubble wrap?

I figured if I was to get a hardened suitcase it will be expensive and heavy, meaning less iPads. So I'm thinking of just a sturdy box and lots of packaging foam/bubblewrap (maybe even ask the dudes at an Apple store to give me one of the boxes the iPads were shipped in)

Scubasnaps
13th March 2010, 06:44 PM
I'd look very carefully at everything you are taking over and ask yourself whether you really need it. The idea being to travel over as lightly as possible in order to minimise excess baggage coming back and maximise carry on capacity. Sure you'll need a laptop to keep us all up to date but a Kindle? Cheap laundries are everywhere (avoid using hotel laundry $$$) - so you don't really need to pack a change of clothes for every day. You'll need warm clothes, but utilise a good warm jacket which you can wear onto the aircraft. The more you save on weight going over the more you can bring back w/o charges. As a guide, see if you can get your checked luggage going over to around 10 Kg per person.

decryption
13th March 2010, 06:52 PM
Don't worry guys - the iPads will arrive fine - I'm more worried about them being damaged/lost than the weight.

Scubasnaps
13th March 2010, 07:19 PM
I used to travel to dive sites with my underwater camera and housing in a pelican case. Sticks out like the proverbials as being something expensive but it always arrived untouched. Used to pay a lot of excess baggage, even with the discount the airlines give for diving gear - the pelican cases do a good job but they are heavy. Anyway, instead of the pelican I now use a Lowepro backback and pull the housing apart - taking the whole thing as carry on. It would weigh about 10 Kg but have never been pulled up on the weight. Saves all the anxiety about it getting knocked off (especially when you know those TSA guys do open bags and break locks) and saves on the excess baggage. Would have had to pay Singapore Airlines $1000 in excess once and they told me just to repack everything heavy in carry on. Get some funny looks from security when they see the housing but they're cool once they have a good look at it.

DJY
14th March 2010, 07:33 AM

Um but with the pre-order limit of two per person...
and I think they limited how many iPhones people could walk out with initially...

how / why are you confidant?
Don't misunderstand me - I think your trip is great!
Classic fan-boi stuff - and I love it!!!!!
Just not sure how you are going to be able to walk out with so many iPads on Day 1?

Will make for some CLASSIC photos if you pull this off though!
Not only in the line... but then decryption with 14+ iPads on Day 1...
now there is a story that I think could get some international coverage! David Pogue or not!

decryption
14th March 2010, 08:14 AM
Made 8 Apple ID's - 4 for me, 4 for Pete.
Used each Apple ID twice at each Manhattan store.

So go to 5th Ave, use Apple ID#1 to get 2 iPads - then Pete uses his Apple ID to get another 2 iPads. We go to the Upper West Side Store, use Apple ID#2 and get 2 more iPads, and Pete 2 iPads as well. Do that at the other 2 Apple stores in Manhattan (SoHo and West 14th Street) and we'll have 16 iPads :)

tom5955
14th March 2010, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure about the US, but when your taking stuff you bought in the UK overseas you get the taxes you paid on them back, if you havent yet it would we worth having a look.

Keving
14th March 2010, 01:50 PM

So go to 5th Ave, use Apple ID#1 to get 2 iPads - then Pete uses his Apple ID to get another 2 iPads. We go to the Upper West Side Store, use Apple ID#2 and get 2 more iPads, and Pete 2 iPads as well. Do that at the other 2 Apple stores in Manhattan (SoHo and West 14th Street) and we'll have 16 iPads :)

So you've already pre-booked em?

Great!

My only concern is them getting here safe! :P

DJY
14th March 2010, 03:03 PM

Clever!
No flies on you!!!!

Hope it all works out for you and everyone involved!

shorts
14th March 2010, 03:12 PM
Good luck on your trip Anthony. Did you have to book a specific flight to get on the A380 or did they put you on that plane by chance?

Agreed... I went through the LAX experience for MacWorld 2007 and it sucked. I dunno if they still do it but I even had to take off my shoes before passing through the metal detector.

gehenna
14th March 2010, 03:18 PM
Wear slip on shoes and keep everything loose in jacket pockets so that you only need take your jacket off and put it through the xray, and slip your shoes off and on :)

chrissara
14th March 2010, 04:08 PM
Anthony - are you still taking orders for the iPads or have you reached a maximum?

decryption
14th March 2010, 04:13 PM
Anthony - are you still taking orders for the iPads or have you reached a maximum?

I've got 1 space left (19 people have paid, aiming to get 20 iPads).

chrissara
14th March 2010, 04:19 PM
Put me down then.

What is the best way to pay you - credit card, direct deposit etc?

Sorry too lazy to read through the whole thread to see what requirements you had.

Also when are you expected back?

Cheers,
Chris

decryption
14th March 2010, 05:22 PM
Put me down then.

What is the best way to pay you - credit card, direct deposit etc?

Sorry too lazy to read through the whole thread to see what requirements you had.

Also when are you expected back?

Cheers,
Chris

Email me - aagius@gmail.com and I will reply back with all the details :)

mitty
14th March 2010, 05:41 PM
Anthony, don't take ANY clothes with you. Or at the very least the bare minimum. If I ever went back I would take nothing, and buy everything there, because it's simply so DAMN CHEAP. I bought 5 pairs of shoes when I was there, four pair of jeans, umpteen T Shirts and about 20 pairs of undies. I left a lot of my own clothes there cause I knew I'd never wear them again.

Filene's Basement on Union Square has heaps of cheap stuff (but it's actually on the 4th floor). Also Century 21 Next door to the World Trade Center Site.

We also spent heaps at Modell's (they are everywhere) which is like Rebel Sport, Converse Sneakers and other type sneakers all Incredibly Cheap compared to here.

Even the places on Fifth Avenue look expensive, but actually aren't.

We went to some Jeans place on Broadway down near the Soho Apple Store (can't remember the name) but they had lots of cheap jeans and T Shirts as well.

Goddam you. I want to go back.

EDIT also, don't miss Wholefoods. It's like a mixed food hall/supermarket. There's a HUGE one near the World Trade Center site, there's another one on Union Square. We had lunch there almost every day when in Manhattan.

Find some Diner and have crap Coffee and Apple Pie.

We stayed in Brooklyn and a lot of our evening Meals were there. Every place we ate at was basically outstanding and nicely priced. If you aren't sure about tipping, simply ask, they waitresses are always very helpful when it comes to giving tipping advice :)

GODDAM YOU. But you can have that 24 Hour Plane flight all to yourself.

dolbinau
14th March 2010, 06:11 PM
Mitty, can you quantify how 'cheap' is 'cheap? (E.g. converse shoes).

mitty
14th March 2010, 06:56 PM
I got em for about $30USD I think. Over here they are easily $100 at retail stores. Maybe you can get them cheaper online or something but I wanted to try them on at a store and there I could.

marc
14th March 2010, 07:13 PM
GODDAM YOU. But you can have that 24 Hour Plane flight all to yourself.

Haha. Yes. That plane flight won't be too much fun. I'm so glad Anthony is doing this though... personally (I'm getting an iPad), for MacTalk (it's a good thing for the site) and for the nerd in me (it's so crazy that I wish I was flying over too).

I got em for about $30USD I think.

The current state of the AUD is probably going to help too :)

lukemc
14th March 2010, 07:33 PM
absolutely, i remember paying $32 US for levis jeans and $20 US for two Tshirts at footlocker so yeah, clothing and shoes etc are cheap as hell there.

simonm
15th March 2010, 08:17 PM
If there's one thing Apple does it's pack their products really well. I wouldn't be concerned about damage during flight in the slightest.

I actually saw someone using a Kindle the other day. I feel like it was the first and last time I'll probably see it! :p:D:D

Japester
15th March 2010, 08:36 PM
...I actually saw someone using a Kindle the other day. I feel like it was the first and last time I'll probably see it! ...

That reminds me of the two times I saw a Zune: the first was an American soldier on shore leave in Sydney and the second was a person on the street in San Francisco. It's actually rare that I see any player that isn't an iPod or iPhone.

There's a woman on my morning bus who has a Kindle. I'll lord it over her and all lesser people when I get my iPad!

dolbinau
15th March 2010, 09:47 PM
Kindles aren't the analogue to cheap iPod rip-offs.

Back2Bedlam
15th March 2010, 11:48 PM
No one seems to have mentioned the obvious! Baggage Allowance.. The smallest version, 3G with 16GB weighs in at 0.68kg, now add the packaging, making it around 1.2kg, times that by 30 and you got an awful lot of explaining to do at checkin.

Have you also noticed that you can pre order to collect in store? Imagine many yanks will be doing that, hope there's some left for you guys!

marc
16th March 2010, 05:07 AM
Back2Bedlam: Both accounted for, I think.

spargo
16th March 2010, 10:33 AM
No one seems to have mentioned the obvious! Baggage Allowance.. The smallest version, 3G with 16GB weighs in at 0.68kg, now add the packaging, making it around 1.2kg, times that by 30 and you got an awful lot of explaining to do at checkin.

Have you also noticed that you can pre order to collect in store? Imagine many yanks will be doing that, hope there's some left for you guys!

Is the to/from U.S. baggage allowance still 32kg bag x2 per pax, even in Economy?

I think they'll be fine.

iCantwait
16th March 2010, 11:12 AM
are you getting iPad apple care?

thats awesome
19th March 2010, 08:32 PM
If you aren't sure about tipping, simply ask, they waitresses are always very helpful when it comes to giving tipping advice :)

The average restaurant tip in New York City is 18.8%. "Leave 20% if you're really happy with the service, 18% if the service was good and 15% if you're unhappy, [Tim Zagat, of the Zagat guide], advised."

How much should I tip? A guide to tipping in NY - Slashfood (http://www.slashfood.com/2006/06/16/how-much-should-i-tip-a-guide-to-tipping-in-ny/)

I tipped around 20-30% depending on the restaurant.

You should try out twobros pizza. US$1.50 a slice (proper NY slide not the pathetic mingy Australian size)

Beau
22nd March 2010, 08:56 AM
Apple Begins Offering Discounted iPad 10-Packs For Educators | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/03/apple-begins-offering-discounted-ipad-10-packs-for-educators/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GizmodoAustralia+%28Gizmodo+A ustralia%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

gehenna
22nd March 2010, 09:00 AM
Apple Begins Offering Discounted iPad 10-Packs For Educators | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/03/apple-begins-offering-discounted-ipad-10-packs-for-educators/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GizmodoAustralia+%28Gizmodo+A ustralia%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Monday Morning News | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/03/22/monday-morning-news-47/)

toholio
23rd March 2010, 07:00 AM
There's a woman on my morning bus who has a Kindle. I'll lord it over her and all lesser people when I get my iPad!

And at that point people will know you obviously don't read many eBooks.

A backlit display? How cute.

TheKeddi
23rd March 2010, 08:18 AM
I think it will depend on how much eye strain you will get from reading ebooks on the iPad? I hated my kindle for having to have a book light in bed or finding it hard to read in dim lighting, perhaps the iPad will be OK and you can change settings to suit you,

But all this chat about it is merely speculation and no one is an authority of any kind yet, we will see what it's like when it actually comes out!

Jaste
23rd March 2010, 09:52 AM
That reminds me of the two times I saw a Zune: the first was an American soldier on shore leave in Sydney and the second was a person on the street in San Francisco. It's actually rare that I see any player that isn't an iPod or iPhone.

When I was deployed to the middle east the US have shops at their main bases that sell everything from lollies to TVs. I saw lots of Zunes there. There would be hundreds of them sitting behind glass all waiting for an owner. A shipment of iPods would arrive and sell out within an hour. I guess it was cheaper to leave the Zunes there than ship them back to the US.

Minkey
23rd March 2010, 10:09 AM
The "what's so awesome about MacTalk" thread reminded me...

We expect reviews of ALL major fast food outlets in particularly those we don't have in Australia (not sure if they're all available on the east coast):

Wendys
Arbys
White Castle
Taco Bell
Carls Jnr.
Jack in the Box
In and Out

areal
23rd March 2010, 10:11 AM
And Fatburger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatburger) please.

Japester
23rd March 2010, 10:14 AM
We'll need a new thread for this fast-food topic!

decryption
23rd March 2010, 10:49 AM
The "what's so awesome about MacTalk" thread reminded me...

We expect reviews of ALL major fast food outlets in particularly those we don't have in Australia (not sure if they're all available on the east coast):

Wendys
Arbys
White Castle
Taco Bell
Carls Jnr.
Jack in the Box
In and Out

Oh you bet your arse (or ass?) I will.

Wendys - yes
Arbys - yes
White Castle - yes
Taco Bell - yes
Carls Jnr. - no :(
Jack in the Box - no :(
In-N-Out Burger - no :(
Dairy Queen - maybe (none in New York, but there are in New Jersey)

I'll also hit up some brands we're familiar with (McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Subway) and see how they differ. Also expect reviews of American soft drink (aka soda) and lollies (aka candy).

MrJesseRoss
23rd March 2010, 11:14 AM
Just make sure you're able to fit on the plane home after all that. :D

decryption
23rd March 2010, 11:15 AM
Just make sure you're able to fit on the plane home after all that. :D

I live in fear of being Kevin Smith'd - Kevin Smith 'Too Fat' to Fly Southwest - Kevin Smith : People.com (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20344142,00.html)

OziMac
23rd March 2010, 01:19 PM
I live in fear of being Kevin Smith'd - Kevin Smith 'Too Fat' to Fly Southwest - Kevin Smith : People.com (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20344142,00.html)

Lucky it's Qantas, not Southwest - you're going Premium right? ;)

Mate, I take my hat off to you, a very noble and generous errand you're running for fellow MTAUers - after doing something similar for the iPhone, I'd love to be there again, but have been unable to avoid real life or justify it to the financial controller, so the wait will be painful. But I'd love to be a fly on the wall for your conversation with the AQIS officers when you declare them on the way in. :)

ZacDavies
23rd March 2010, 01:49 PM
If Border Security is filming that day.. well..

marc
23rd March 2010, 03:01 PM
If Border Security is filming that day.. well..

"If this guy thinks he can make it back into the country with tens of thousands of dollars in electronic gadgets, he has another thing coming."

"The illegal devices were seized and handed over to customs."

**Cut to shot of all the customs guys checking their email on their new iPads**

Lutze
23rd March 2010, 03:14 PM
"If this guy thinks he can make it back into the country with tens of thousands of dollars in electronic gadgets, he has another thing coming."

"The illegal devices were seized and handed over to customs."

**Cut to shot of all the customs guys checking their email on their new iPads**

And Anthony being led off for an internal examination (to check for iPod shuffles).

**** end details explaining what happened - FKFSA was later found to have not broken any laws and was released back to Melbourne. Unfortunately for his supporters the computer hardware was seized by customs as it's not currently certified to work in Australia. ****

Minkey
23rd March 2010, 03:22 PM
"...although he was fined for attempting to bring in one of every burger from American Fast Food outlets without declaring them, he claimed they were for some sort of 'experiment' at the next gathering of something called a MacTalk Meetup..."

gehenna
23rd March 2010, 03:25 PM
Imagine how many White Castle Sliders you could fit in your carry-on. Oh man.

decryption
23rd March 2010, 03:27 PM
"...although he was fined for attempting to bring in one of every burger from American Fast Food outlets without declaring them, he claimed they were for some sort of 'experiment' at the next gathering of something called a MacTalk Meetup..."

Me: "It's cooked - it's not food!"
Quarantine: "But do you eat it?"
Me: "Yes"
Quarantine: "Then it's food"
Me: "But it's wrapped up and sealed"
Quarantine: "Yes, but you eat it - anything you eat is food!"
Me: "I'm never coming back to Australia"

It's how it always seems to happen on Border Security :p

Minkey
23rd March 2010, 03:47 PM
How it will happen in real life:

Back from an ad break:

Voice over: Anthony has just finished explaining his plans for a "Mega Burger” to be assembled at something called a “MacTalk Meet” The quarantine officer has gone to confer with his supervisor

Quarantine guy: This is Anthony.

Anthony: Hey.

Supervisor: My colleague here has just explained what it is you are attempting to do here.

Anthony (looking a little stressed): Uh, yeah.

Supervisor: So at this point…we just need to let you know...um...that we feel…How to put this?...we think this thing is freaking awesome! Dude high five!

Anthony (provides an hesitant high-five): “Uh, thanks.’

Supervisor: See all we deal with all day here are dumbass lying fucktards looking to screw people over, but this, this hurts noone.

Quarantine guy: Except maybe the guy who eats it?

Supervisor: Fuck that! It’s gonna be awesome. This guy is a god among men! Now get outa here. Someone give this guy a hand with his luggage.

[I don't watch border security but the above seem about right.]

M

kevinnugent
23rd March 2010, 04:05 PM
Three words. Root beer float. Nom nom nom!

kenexx
27th March 2010, 12:40 AM
Oops. Sorry about the extended layover in LAX Anthony. Hope you enjoy AA
from LAX to JFK. Hey at least you get to try an American domestic carrier!!
Blame the French! They built the A380 !!!!!

decryption
27th March 2010, 04:18 AM
Oops. Sorry about the extended layover in LAX Anthony. Hope you enjoy AA
from LAX to JFK. Hey at least you get to try an American domestic carrier!!
Blame the French! They built the A380 !!!!!

hah, yeah, I'm sitting at the AA domestic terminal for a flight to JFK. It's an ancient 767-200. Fun :p

The A380 flight was fantastic though! I am fucking tired though. Need sleep urgently. Hopefully I'll catch some sleep on the LAX to JFK flight and then get some proper sleep in the hotel in NY.

doofus
27th March 2010, 04:48 AM
Have a great time Decryption, welcome to the US of A

Alessiman
27th March 2010, 05:21 AM
hah, yeah, I'm sitting at the AA domestic terminal for a flight to JFK. It's an ancient 767-200. Fun :p

If it was anything like 3 weeks ago when I went through terminal 4, the security lines were out the door both in getting through the 1st security checkpoint and then waiting again for baggage screening

The little Best Buys Kiosks are quite cute to look at and the burger king outlet inside terminal 4 doe a reasonable breakfast

Your on the plane now so you will miss this message. Two things I will say about U.S Domestic Carriers

Skymall and the unique "Service" :P

Paris
27th March 2010, 06:46 AM
If it was anything like 3 weeks ago when I went through terminal 4, the security lines were out the door both in getting through the 1st security checkpoint and then waiting again for baggage screening

It's never not been like that in my experience, sadly.

kevinnugent
27th March 2010, 01:25 PM
Had GoGo inflight wifi from Portland to JFK this week. The only real positive I had for the Delta flight.

I understand Anthony is now safely tucked in at his NY hotel after a 33 hour day. :) Hope he set a wake up call.

hangdog
29th March 2010, 11:36 AM

This (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/10/kevin-smith-say.html) may (or may not) have been worse.

slashingthefox
30th March 2010, 12:20 AM
I think this is an awesome thing you are doing. It's the sort of enthusiasm that is very cool in my book. My first trip overseas just happened last year, July '09, I went to San Diego Comic Con, even more geekier thing to do. And I had the best time.

...wish I was going to New York. I've been told by many people that New York is an awesome place to visit.

Lockley
31st March 2010, 08:00 PM
Anthony was mentioned in MacBreak Weekly Podcast

he was called an Australian ipad mule :)

rustyshelf
31st March 2010, 08:05 PM
Anthony was mentioned in MacBreak Weekly Podcast

he was called an Australian ipad mule :)

Ha ha, I'd like to think that was because I told Andy about it, but no doubt a lot of you guys did as well. Oh well I'll take the credit all the same! :p

We're so proud of you our (not so) little iPad Mule!

marc
31st March 2010, 09:31 PM
Wow. That's great!

Downloading the MacBreak Weekly episode now to listen.

u98925
31st March 2010, 09:44 PM
Downloading the MacBreak Weekly episode now to listen.

Just did the same thing :)

gehenna
31st March 2010, 10:00 PM
Sounds like Don McAllister is keen to meet up with you at the 5th Ave store Anthony:)

decryption
31st March 2010, 11:01 PM
I don't know who Don McAllister is, but he is welcome to say hello :)
I haven't listened to MacBreak for years now - I guess I'll have to check it out, hah

LevMac
1st April 2010, 09:19 AM
So when's the line up? Getting closer and closer now :)

decryption
1st April 2010, 09:20 AM
So when's the line up? Getting closer and closer now :)

Apple said they won't let anyone line up before Friday 5PM. Pete and I don't really want to line up overnight, so we're aiming for early Sat morning.

bennettnz
1st April 2010, 09:45 AM
really hope this doesn't bugger things up for you guys...

Macsimum News - Apple canceling non-US iPad orders (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_canceling_non-us_ipad_orders/)

Cassy
1st April 2010, 10:29 AM
It shouldn't :/ Unless Apple have been visiting the forums they won't be able to tell that the mactalk registrations are non-US.

Whereas they are probably familiar with accounts with big companies like Shipto... maybe?

kevinnugent
1st April 2010, 11:48 AM
really hope this doesn't bugger things up for you guys...

Macsimum News - Apple canceling non-US iPad orders (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_canceling_non-us_ipad_orders/)

should be OK.

I'm here in NYC to pick up my reserved iPad & I got a confirmation email from Apple this morning letting me know how to pickup on Saturday.

Jaste
1st April 2010, 11:58 AM
should be OK.

I'm here in NYC to pick up my reserved iPad & I got a confirmation email from Apple this morning letting me know how to pickup on Saturday.

It would be a PR nightmare if they cancelled the orders of people actually in the country to physically collect their iPads. Besides people flying to the US to buy an iPad adds to the excitement of their product. I can't see them cancelling pickup orders for non-US people.