PDA

View Full Version : very unstable wireless connection

baz88
8th March 2010, 04:13 PM
I have a macbook air and for some reason my wireless internet connection is unstable. At first i thought the issue could be my modem or router but i fixed those and i also have another laptop also working on wireless which is working fine. When i am on safari, pages do not load, i would need to stop and refresh the page in order for it to load, sometimes this works sometimes it doesnt, i might need to refresh 3-4 times. Sometimes they do load after a while but it is very slow. At times it works fine but other times it causes problems. The internet connection is very fast and it works great on the other laptop but is only casuing problems on the mac. The connection strength bars at the top are strong. Any ideas why this could be?

Oh i did a broadband speed test from the mac and it had my line speed at 4-5M/bit but im not sure if the connection just happened to work when i did it or something else.

snark
8th March 2010, 05:18 PM
What sort of encryption do you have on your wi-fi? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

Also, have you tried changing channels?

baz88
8th March 2010, 09:40 PM
It's a WPA personal TKIP. Does that make a difference?

snark
9th March 2010, 05:00 PM
It's a WPA personal TKIP. Does that make a difference?
Probably not. But I would try another wi-fi channel to see if that helped.

Also, try a different browser (Firefox or Camino) and see if they load pages faster.

You've already determined that your internet link is fast, so the problem might be interference from another network, or a DNS problem (looking up the IP addresses of the web pages).

Have you compared internet connection settings between the other laptop and yours?