PDA

View Full Version : Security Update 2005-007 - Killed Safari.....help.

cbennie
23rd August 2005, 11:04 PM
Since I did the update - when I click on Safari it EITHER bounces up and down in thje dock as normal but then nothing loads at all OR it bounces once and does nothing at all.....going directl into applications and opening it in there doesn't work either.

Have repaired permissions and I am running Onyx at the moment.

On top of this I've also noticed that know if I choose 'software update' or 'Mac OS X software' in the menu - it does nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

Rayd
23rd August 2005, 11:48 PM
you must have had saft previously installed, you need to update it or delete saft. your choice :)

AusMac
24th August 2005, 02:58 AM
nah not necessarily got anything to do with Saft at all.
However much that may appear a possibility.
I have never reported behaviour like this from using Saft.
Did you check that the update was v1.0 or v1.1?

cbennie
24th August 2005, 07:23 AM
I had to look up what saft was! When I discovered what it was I realised I don't have it and have never installed it.

I can only assume that I installed version 1.1 as I only did it via the software update on Monday night which I'm pretty sure is after 1.1 was brought out?

Chris

AusMac
24th August 2005, 09:24 AM
One way you can find out that is to try software update again to see if you are prompted to download version 1.1

Try going to Library/caches and drag all that to trash then restart.

Still having trouble? Had you previously installed anything extra in Internet plugins?

Squozen
24th August 2005, 10:02 AM
Running v1.0 would have zero effect on Safari, nor on any 32-bit application.

eyeLikeCarrots
24th August 2005, 10:07 AM
Applications\Utilities\Console

Try and open that, if it opens.. try opening apps that are not working and see what the error output is when they fail.. might give you something to go on..

AusMac
24th August 2005, 10:21 AM
Yes Squozen.
The problem likely has nothing to do with the security update as such.
Yes eyesLikeCarrots.
There should be something to read about in the console.

Usually when something fails to launch, in this case a browser, there is a problem with application enhancers or startup items, internet plugins .. things that load before anything else.

cbennie
24th August 2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!

I can only think that it has something to do with the security update as I started doing the update after having used Safari all night - went to bed with the update downloading, got up the next morning, restart and then the problems started. There was another couple of updates I did such as an airport update and iphoto update.

I did the console suggestion and it is definately reporting errors but I don;t know what to do with the errors to below is a paste of the error block - if someone can shed some light on what to do from here, I'd be eternally grateful!

here is is console info: (I've broken it into two posts as it won't fit into a single post)
dyld: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari Undefined symbols:
WebKit undefined reference to _objc_msgSend expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_CreateObject expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_Evaluate expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetIntIdentifier expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetProperty expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetStringIdentifier expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
(Continued in the next post)

cbennie
24th August 2005, 09:51 PM
(Continued from previous post)
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetStringIdentifiers expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_IdentifierIsString expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_Invoke expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_InvokeDefault expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_ReleaseVariantValue expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_RemoveProperty expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_RetainObject expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_SetException expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_SetProperty expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_UTF8FromIdentifier expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebCore undefined reference to __ZN3KJS9ObjectImp9constructEPNS_9ExecStateERKNS_4 ListERKNS_7UStringEi expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
*** malloc[552]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x3237d0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

Thanks in advance - Chris

rob05
25th August 2005, 09:58 PM
This maybe off topic but it does have some relevance to the security update

The following is part of a post at another forum which is much longer than what is here.

My post will be of no use to you, other than to agree that Security Update 2005-07 has managed to do a very good impersonation of XP Service pack 2.

Version 1, corrupted all my desk top files that were created that day, version 2 then did the same to photos in I photo Library and mangled the installation path to Entourage - How have I reached this outrageous conclusion I hear you shout!!!, well that is the only new software addition to either of my machines this week.

I myself have noticed some unusual problems with safari and the finder and Burning with my superdrive, wireless networking going crazy at times.

Rob

cbennie
25th August 2005, 10:07 PM
I've just posted a new query here rob05 as I have discovered the update has stuffed ip more than Safari - so the post you have mentioned would be useful to follow up - can you give me the link?

thanks

Chris