PDA

View Full Version : Now there's no tethering, which model will you buy?

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 12:33 PM
As Steve has said there is no tethering, which model will you buy if you'll be getting one within the next 6 months?

decryption
7th March 2010, 12:43 PM
You can still grab a Mi-Fi device and use that, if you want your laptop & iPad to have data at the same time.

Personally, I don't mind having another SIM card (I already have over a dozen) - I'll just get a pre-paid SIM from Vodafone (http://vodafone.com.au/personal/mobilebroadband/mobile-broadband-prepaid.htm), recharge it with 12GB of data that lasts 12 months and use that in the 3G iPad.

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 12:47 PM
Fair enough, but aren't MiFi's $200+ ? I don't have one, and the iPad is probably the only device I'd want online as I don't have a current laptop.

You really going to go Vodafone? I'd thought you'd definitely go Telstra for the coverage :)

kyte
7th March 2010, 12:51 PM
I've said I'm not buying any in the first 6 months. Logically I have no need. I use a windows computer at work, and I take my netbook (sometimes), and had planned to get a 12 month dongle to go with that. Otherwise I use my iphone for the minimal amount of net/email I do whilst out. I would be looking at it in the future as a reader/web thingy, for in the house. And for that, wifi should be sufficient. Either way I've decided to wait, even though theres a little voice inside that's telling me to get one in the first week.

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 01:05 PM
If you have the fortitude to resist launch day, it's recommended. :) There could be a price drop a la 1st gen iPhone in the US. (Especially if iPad's aren't selling) and if you're ok with WiFi, pick one up from the selling forum when sometimes off loads it because they want the 3G.

I'll now get a 3G. I wasn't going to though. I sold my Macbook last year as I suspected something was in the works. I use my iPhone far more than my 27" iMac. When I had a Macbook it mostly stayed on the desk at home; a waste. When I go on holidays in the past I've always had a notebook, I need something to dump my photos onto and a 64gb iPad will suffice.

I do eBay listings a lot at work, and flyers and things. I use Garagesale and Pages a lot. Garagesale Touch is on the iPhone but it's too small. The dev is updating it for the iPad. Wicked.

If I had a Macbook still, and needed it's Macbook features (e.g. full open system, all software, video encoding and CD burning on the go from anywhere e.g. clients places) then the iPad would be something frivolous that I don't need. But as I currently use the iPhone as my main computing device the iPad will be a a great substitute for a laptop/netbook for me. Obviously it doesn't meet everyones needs.

mab
7th March 2010, 02:17 PM
I will wait a few months and see how Microsoft's courier (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microsofts-courier-digital-journal-exclusive-pictures-and-de/) pans out

Cybix
7th March 2010, 02:36 PM
that Swede email to Steve could also be a lame hoax. I wouldn't get too upset just yet.

bennettnz
7th March 2010, 02:46 PM
I can't see the wifi model remaining as an option for much past a year. Once production ramps up and component prices fall there should be an option for a lower cost 3G/Wifi iPad, and the wifi only option slips away. The models are so close that it seems almost stupid to offer a wifi only version. I think it was probably the most simple method of launching with a low price and stunning us, or it may be that research indicated schools would be more comfortable with a wifi only version but not 3g due to data plans and kids getting into debt. Who knows...

zbaron
7th March 2010, 03:36 PM
I will wait a few months and see how Microsoft's courier pans out

Are people paid to mention that particular piece of vapour at every opportunity?

decryption
7th March 2010, 03:49 PM
You really going to go Vodafone? I'd thought you'd definitely go Telstra for the coverage :)

Telstra's pre-paid data is too expensive :(

I'd go on a contract, but if I need to use more than 1GB in a month, I'm screwed.

Remy
7th March 2010, 04:24 PM
My plan: iPad Wi-Fi 32 or 64GB (not sure yet) + Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi thing.

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 04:51 PM
that Swede email to Steve could also be a lame hoax. I wouldn't get too upset just yet.

But it says it was sent from his iPhone! :)

I suspect it is true but they might lift the limit once the US no longer has unlimited data on all iPhone plans as they do now.

However, I'm less annoyed afterthinking about it for a few hours; we get both models at launch. Part of my initial desire for a WiFi only version was getting it a month early. Now I don't have that option of getting it earlier unless I jump through US importing hoops I'm more inclined to purchase the 3G with it's better future resale value.

I had to get my 1st gen iPhone imported, but that saved me an entire year. For the sake of three weeks, and getting a better model, I'll wait.

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 05:02 PM
Are people paid to mention that particular piece of vapour at every opportunity?

lol. It seems that way.

It looks like a great device but it's features as demo'd are more aimed at graphic designers, sort of; it wouldn't be pressure sensitive and it will seriously never ship in that way. It has to be vapourware in it's shown form. Of course if Microsoft can pull it off without a hitch then Apple should worry. Not about the courier but because Microsoft would have become nimble enough to create totally new products quickly. But I don't think that will happen. It will ship in 2014. :)

Oh, and due to the dual screens, Intel CPU, and noisy fan, battery life will be abysmal?

glitch
7th March 2010, 05:10 PM
I will continue to use my MBA which is a much more complete device IMO. I can tether my iPhone when I am on the road, I used to use a USB modem but since tethering was enabled its gathering dust.

Ecto1
7th March 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm going to wait for the new MBP instead.

jack112006
7th March 2010, 08:06 PM
For me, the plan was always to go for a Wi-Fi model. With the leaked pricing on APC, I will probably go for the 64GB model as the difference between it and the 16GB isn't that much. I spend basically all of my day at either school or home, both of which are blanketed in Wi-Fi. And when I head out, most places I go have Wi-Fi. When I'm travelling, I can tether my iPhone to my MBP and share the connection over Wi-Fi. so for, me, 3G never really held much water.

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 08:12 PM
For me, the plan was always to go for a Wi-Fi model. With the leaked pricing on APC, I will probably go for the 64GB model as the difference between it and the 16GB isn't that much. I spend basically all of my day at either school or home, both of which are blanketed in Wi-Fi. And when I head out, most places I go have Wi-Fi. When I'm travelling, I can tether my iPhone to my MBP and share the connection over Wi-Fi. so for, me, 3G never really held much water.

This was my plan also, but I assumed I'd be able to tether iPhone to iPad in the odd situation where there wasn't WiFi available. I'm sure once I get used to (for example) browsing MacTalk in my lunch breaks on the iPad I'll use the iPhone less, probably when I don't have room to carry iPad with me. I'll see at launch but If I really can't tether I'll probably buy the 3G but not get data straight away. I'll buy data if/when I decide I want it, but at least the device is capable.

Pity the 3G version is heavier, and uglier with that bar across it. :(

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 08:13 PM
I will continue to use my MBA which is a much more complete device IMO. I can tether my iPhone when I am on the road, I used to use a USB modem but since tethering was enabled its gathering dust.

I loved my MB Air... but I sold it. If I could have put a 500GB drive in, I'd have kept it.

mmulhern
8th March 2010, 07:15 AM
My plan: iPad Wi-Fi 32 or 64GB (not sure yet) + Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi thing.

Pretty much my approach, except that I'll use MyWi on my iPhone (JB) to provide the hotspot when away from the home network and no other wifi available.

Balthazar
8th March 2010, 10:22 AM
With the leaked pricing on APC, I will probably go for the 64GB model

Anyone have a link to this or can quote these "leaked" prices?

Never Mind found it:

Aussie iPad pricing leaked; Apple pushes back release date (http://apcmag.com/apple-pushes-back-aussie-release-of-ipad.htm)

16GB wifi: $649
32GB wifi: $779
64GB wifi: $829

... this makes me sad

Japester
8th March 2010, 10:37 AM
Anyone have a link to this or can quote these "leaked" prices?

Never Mind found it:

16GB wifi: $649
32GB wifi: $779
64GB wifi: $829

... this makes me sad

What's the link?

mmulhern
8th March 2010, 10:41 AM
What's the link?

Aussie iPad pricing leaked; Apple pushes back release date (http://apcmag.com/apple-pushes-back-aussie-release-of-ipad.htm)

Japester
8th March 2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, but these are what I expect.

Balthazar
8th March 2010, 11:19 AM
I was so hoping the base 16GB model would be less than $600, with the exchange rate at 90.8c that would be $549, so basically Australia gets a 20% extra markup on that.

I call BS, either on the leaked prices or on Apple themselves if this is what that run with.

decryption
8th March 2010, 11:29 AM
I was so hoping the base 16GB model would be less than $600, with the exchange rate at 90.8c that would be $549, so basically Australia gets a 20% extra markup on that.

I call BS, either on the leaked prices or on Apple themselves if this is what that run with.

Sub AU$600 ain't gonna happen. The US$499 price doesn't include sales tax, plus you never buy currency at that high exchand rate, it's always a few cents less. $649 or $699 are the common sense price points Apple can release the 16gb model at.

nando
8th March 2010, 01:35 PM
well so i guess i have to wait hopefully for xmas to get one...
cant afford one now...ehh...have...mortgage to pay..family to support...err.. ;)
oh well

Balthazar
8th March 2010, 02:58 PM
Sub AU$600 ain't gonna happen. The US$499 price doesn't include sales tax,

What does sales tax constitute? are we talking 10% GST?

Balthazar
8th March 2010, 03:11 PM
Ok, I have done my math and going on an average price difference of 31.3% extra we pay for products in the Au Apple store compared to the US Apple Store i would agree that $649 makes sense, i guess i will just shoot for the 64 GB model then, if im going to be spending a lot, i may as well spend ALOT!

jack112006
8th March 2010, 03:32 PM
Ok, I have done my math and going on an average price difference of 31.3% extra we pay for products in the Au Apple store compared to the US Apple Store i would agree that $649 makes sense, i guess i will just shoot for the 64 GB model then, if im going to be spending a lot, i may as well spend ALOT!

My thinking exactly. In the big scheme of things, the difference between the 16GB and 64GB are minimal. To sorta bring this tread back on topic, one would have to assume that the 64GB 3G model could be pushing $999!

harrisonx
9th March 2010, 11:21 AM
What does sales tax constitute? are we talking 10% GST?

Sales tax in the US varies from state to state. Unlike here, it's charged on top of (as opposed to being included in) the item's RRP.

Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States)

In California, for example, the base model iPad will be $499 + $41 (8.25% tax) = $540.

At 85c to the dollar (conservative exchange rate) the price is AUD$635, so if that leaked Australian price sheet is correct, $649AUD sounds about right.

eaglesteve2
9th March 2010, 07:02 PM
I don't like the idea of Mi-Fi as there is an extra device to carry, not to mention the extra expense of buying this additional device. I don't believe that it is not possible to make our iPhone a wifi hotspot for the iPad. I believe that Steve Jobs' statement is just the "official" stand, rather than what is technically possible with a jailbroken iPhone. It makes much more sense to simply run mywi on the iPhone whenever I need internet connection where there're no other wifi hotspot around.

Japester
9th March 2010, 07:12 PM
I don't like the idea of Mi-Fi as there is an extra device to carry, not to mention the extra expense of buying this additional device. I don't believe that it is not possible to make our iPhone a wifi hotspot for the iPad. I believe that Steve Jobs' statement is just the "official" stand, rather than what is technically possible with a jailbroken iPhone. It makes much more sense to simply run mywi on the iPhone whenever I need internet connection where there're no other wifi hotspot around.

I ain't jailbreakin'.

eaglesteve2
9th March 2010, 07:26 PM
I ain't jailbreakin'.

Well, then Steven Job's statement will apply to you then.

cosmichobo
9th March 2010, 07:29 PM
Can we assume that it's only a matter of time before the iPad is jailbroken... and in which case, would it then be possible for it to be tethered via an app?

asgr8
9th March 2010, 07:36 PM
You dont need to tether ur ipad with ur jailbroken iphone. You can just make your iphone a wireless router and ipad can connect to it just like any other wirless network.

ipad is based on iphone OS so i am sure people like geohot will jailbreak it and make ipad more useful.

skritter
10th March 2010, 10:24 PM
....You can just make your iphone a wireless router .....

Prey Tell. How is that done without Jailbreaking?

asgr8
11th March 2010, 08:18 AM
Prey Tell. How is that done without Jailbreaking?

Oh i am sorry. my post is a bit confusing. what i meant was that we can use our jailbroeken iphones as routers and no need of tether.

I dont think there is any way of using ur iphone as router without jailbreaking