PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on repair

n20nine
6th March 2010, 12:25 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I have an aluminium MacBook - the 13" ones before they decided to slap the word Pro on them.

I have issues with the screen flickering. It happens when I turn on my computer, wake it up from sleep or just randomly when I am working on my computer and a couple of times it just went blank and at times came back.

I took it to Apple Doncaster and after they did their so-called "diagnosis" they said they cant find any fault and its normal for this model to have flickering screens. I dont see how I can accept that as normal. Since getting it back from service, I have seen it flicker a few times. Not sure if I should force them to replace necessary parts.

Suggestions please? Also, my computer randomly hangs :(

gehenna
6th March 2010, 12:26 AM
Couple of basics to try unless Apple did already....an SMC Reset could help. Also, do you have all the latest firmware and software updates installed?

I've certainly not heard of this being "normal" for that model.

n20nine
6th March 2010, 12:31 AM
thanks, will do an SMC reset now. I do have all the latest updates not only for 10.6 but also for all the softwares I have installed. I am afraid as my AppleCare has just expired (they did say if my issues got worse within a reasonable timeframe, it would be repaired)

gehenna
6th March 2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah I wouldn't be too concerned with the AppleCare being expired, in my experience Apple are pretty good at making things right when there is a clear fault with the product that can't be disputed as a user related fault, within a few months of expiration anyway.

n20nine
6th March 2010, 01:25 AM
well i had my usual trackpad issue - not recognising swipes and clicks. for the record, the trackpad is clean and has been well taken care of since day 1. did the SMC reset and it solved it. also improved system responsiveness. thanks gehenna. will keep track of the computer for the next few days. hope the screen flickers dont come back.

btw, is it also advisable that i do a PRAM reset? i tried the steps on the website last time, but nothing happened - as in i did not hear the startup tone for the second time.

gehenna
6th March 2010, 01:36 AM
i wouldn't worry so much about a pram reset if you're mainly experiencing hardware related faults.

melbmac
6th March 2010, 07:02 AM
Not normal, or mine is better than normal (eg mine doesn't do it) keep up with getting it fixed.

leon
6th March 2010, 08:42 AM
Take a video of the issue. Show it to them and tell them it isn't normal. Ask them to show you another 13" Macbook Pro (even though yours is a Macbook) that does the same in their store. If they can't find one that does this, then it isn't "normal".

n20nine
6th March 2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys, I have a video recording of the trackpad not functioning. Its hard to see the screen flickering on video. I did try to explain to the technician by comparing mine to the ones in store but he kept on insisting that its only specific to my model. I think I will go and push hard for it to be fixed. BTW, I did see slight flickering when I turned on my laptop a moment ago.

hijack
8th March 2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah. I concur with all of the others. This is NOT normal and I would insist on a fix. There were problems with solder joints on the logic board in G3 and G4 laptops. See this link.
iBook Repair Logic Board Apple iBook G3 G4 (http://www.firstphasetech.com/ibook-repair-g3-g4.html)
I have 3 iBooks sitting my workshop with no video and this seems to be the problem.
Can't guarantee this causes the flickering but might help the arguement?