PDA

View Full Version : Buying in OZ or UK?

iShibby
5th March 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi guys,

So I'm due to head to the UK on the 30th March (delayed my trip by a day due to the iPad release;)), and I just wanted to know whether, exchange rate wise, I'd be better off buying it here in OZ or in the UK?

I'm just looking at the basic 16gb Wifi model.

Cheers for any advice...

6andy6
5th March 2010, 10:00 AM
Given we don't know the price in either country yet it would be hard to advise whether exchange rate wise one or the other has the advantage (but usually I have found that buying anything in the UK is usually more expensive as generally their cost of living is higher anyway).

melbmac
5th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Buy it here, what better for the flight???

iShibby
5th March 2010, 10:43 AM
Haha I know melbmac, might be the geekiest thing I've done, delayed a trip back to my homeland for a gadget :)

Hopefully it will be out by then :(

dracomjb
5th March 2010, 11:22 AM
I'm in the same dilemma, flying to the UK 31st March. My plan is to go to the Regent Street Apple Store and see what it's like. Then compare the prices/exchange rate at that point.

The big issue with the UK is that it has 17.5% or maybe higher VAT which is basically the same as GST. The difference to Australia for claiming a refund is that you have to buy from a store that has the tourist refund forms and fill them out at the retailer then and there. Pretty sure I've done this at the Apple Store Regent Street, but you don't get back the full tax refund, some of it gets used as an admin charge and I think it varies based on retailer.

iShibby
5th March 2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah see I know me and I won't be able to wait, looks like I'll be queuing up on the 29th :laugh:

grorr76
5th March 2010, 01:38 PM
seems were all going to the UK. Im going in May to work there. I would definitely buy here the exchange rate will make the UK price more expensive than here. Everything in London is very very pricey as I have found out in my research.

Trabb
5th March 2010, 01:40 PM
Pretty much all Apple stuff works out quite a bit cheaper in Australia... I'd pick it up before you leave and yeah, have it for the flight!

grorr76
5th March 2010, 01:56 PM
just done some investigating if you buy the ipad within one month of travel you can claim the GST back once you go through customs. Thats better than a kick up the bum..

iShibby
6th March 2010, 10:13 AM
Well looks like it won't be out here til I come back from my trip! Boo :(

iShibby
6th March 2010, 10:15 AM
Shame they don't have an Apple Store at Hong Kong airport as that's my stop off both ways haha

golfer
7th March 2010, 10:21 AM
Sydney airport does.

golfer
7th March 2010, 10:22 AM
I was in Hong Kong last week and several stores at the airport sell Apple stuff, but it's expensive.

iShibby
7th March 2010, 11:52 AM
Ahh yeah there is that little electrical shop in HKG airport you're right.

So it would be in Sydney airport when I return on the 24th April, maybe I could do that tax thing?

omelette
17th March 2010, 03:37 PM
The AUS$ UKú exchange rates was 0.472 this time last year. However, it has now risen to 0.604 - making purchases in the UK far more favourable if your funds come from Australia.