PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive upgrade problems with new MBP 15"

d_calladine
4th March 2010, 12:32 PM
Has anybody had any luck upgrading the hard drive in the current model MBP?

I've tried upgrading from the standard 250gb to a 500gb Western Digital drive and it hasn't worked at all, it looks like the drive is incompatible with the laptop and constantly parks it's head so the OS keeps locking up for 20-30 secs at a time.

I've put the original drive back in for now and everything's okay again, I don't understand how it can't take a 500gb drive as it was available as an option when I ordered it (I regret not going for that option now!)

Has anyone else had any troubles with upgrading?

Thanks, Daniel

Byrd
4th March 2010, 12:36 PM
Plenty here have used 500GB WD drives to upgrade their MBP, I'd suggest yours is faulty - hope you can take it back for a replacement.

JB

glacierdave
4th March 2010, 12:39 PM
Sure, upgrade my MBP to a 500GB drive within hours of buying it. Worked a treat and haven't had any issues since.

I believe some model hard drives have the issue you're seeing - something to do with power management built-in on the drive conflicting with the MBP's own power management.

Some further info:

Fix for MacBook Pro 7200rpm hard drive beeps, clicks, & freezes | MacYourself (http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/12/fix-for-macbook-pro-7200rpm-hard-drive-beeps-clicks-freezes/)

d_calladine
4th March 2010, 01:28 PM
Plenty here have used 500GB WD drives to upgrade their MBP, I'd suggest yours is faulty - hope you can take it back for a replacement.

JB

I thought it was faulty also but have since used it to upgrade my girlfriends Dell.

Sure, upgrade my MBP to a 500GB drive within hours of buying it. Worked a treat and haven't had any issues since.

I believe some model hard drives have the issue you're seeing - something to do with power management built-in on the drive conflicting with the MBP's own power management.

Some further info:

Fix for MacBook Pro 7200rpm hard drive beeps, clicks, & freezes | MacYourself (http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/12/fix-for-macbook-pro-7200rpm-hard-drive-beeps-clicks-freezes/)

What model drive did you use, mine was a WD Scorpio Blue that didn't work.

Your link mentions a "Performance Update 1.0" which I'll try later on, hopefully that'll sort it out.

Thanks for your replies, Daniel

glacierdave
4th March 2010, 02:43 PM
I honestly don't recall what drive it was right now - it's about 8 months ago and a lots happened since then.

Thinking back, it might even have been a 5400 RPM drive rather than 7200 which can also make a difference. I've never really noticed enough speed difference between the two types in my typical use to bother with the faster hard drive.

d_calladine
4th March 2010, 06:13 PM
I honestly don't recall what drive it was right now - it's about 8 months ago and a lots happened since then.

Thinking back, it might even have been a 5400 RPM drive rather than 7200 which can also make a difference. I've never really noticed enough speed difference between the two types in my typical use to bother with the faster hard drive.

Yes 5400 RPM is all I'm after, it must just be this particular model which won't work.

If you get a chance could you look in About This Mac & Serial ATA for the model number, it would really help if I knew of a drive that would work rather than trying the hard way.

Thanks again, Daniel

glacierdave
4th March 2010, 06:18 PM
Here you go:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
Model: SAMSUNG HM500JI
Revision: 2AC101C4

Samsung it turns out.

d_calladine
5th March 2010, 06:52 AM
Here you go:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
Model: SAMSUNG HM500JI
Revision: 2AC101C4

Samsung it turns out.

Cheers glacierdave that's great, I'll just see if I can find one of those now,

Thanks again, Daniel

samuelowens
5th March 2010, 10:23 AM
I think WDs come in two models - one with a function that parks the heads automatically when there's a shock and one that doesn't (I think the Blues fall into the latter category though). The former model conflicts with Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor technology.

If you do have one with a built in shock sensor, you need to disable SMS...