PDA

View Full Version : External Drive not showing

Kodo
3rd March 2010, 10:15 PM
I did a search for this but didn't find an appropriate answer. I had to reformat my HDD as it got corrupted (thank you Windows 7) and disk utility repair couldn't fix it.

As a result of this my external HDD now longer is showing up in Finder or in Disk Utility and this is bad cause it has my SuperDuper backups of system drive and Data drive with all my music and movies on it.

I believe there are possible way to get it to show via terminal or maybe other ways but I am not exactly sure of what they would be...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

gehenna
3rd March 2010, 10:17 PM
So you formatted it and now it's not showing up at all? Or you formatted it, copied your backups to it and now it's not showing up?

Confused by your description of the fault sorry.

Kodo
3rd March 2010, 10:41 PM
Sorry I formatted my iMac HDD not the external drives, they are untouched as they were on the weekend. Just the external drives aren't showing. Could it be a permissions issue?

NILcorp
3rd March 2010, 10:56 PM
See if they show up in Disk Utility first.

Kodo
3rd March 2010, 11:35 PM
I mentioned it didn't show in Disk Utility. I neglected to mention that it was connected via Firewire yet when I went into networking it said there were no firewire devices attached.

I have a temporary work around for now as it is working via USB but that is far from ideal for the long term.

gehenna
3rd March 2010, 11:43 PM
Faulty firewire cable/port?

Kodo
4th March 2010, 12:05 AM
It is possible maybe thought it was working fine a week ago when I did backups. Booted from the external drive and not a lot appears to be happening, this can't be a good thing.

NILcorp
4th March 2010, 05:37 AM
My iMac's FireWire 400 port stopped working after I installed Mac OSX 10.6.0 (currently 10.6.2) but it works when I plug a FireWire 400 drive and boot into Windows. Any thoughts why this maybe?

stewiesno1
4th March 2010, 12:41 PM
And what make of external drive is it ? The box not the HD inside.
Some makers have crappy FW chipsets but for Macs the better ones use one of the Oxford chipsets.
Your drive is probably fine but the box may be what is playing up.
When you connect the external drive via either FW or USB, is it powered by the AC adapter or just bus powered ?

Stewie

Kodo
4th March 2010, 01:23 PM
It's a maxtor external drive and it's externally powered. It's just weird cause it was working fine a week ago so unsure what's happened with it now.

ClockWork
4th March 2010, 03:11 PM
I think that pretty much sums up the answer.

Maxtor do have a habit of designing notoriously flakey external enclosures.
The Maxtor One Touch III has caused much unhappiness, in particular.

Sounds like its FireWire port has crapped out.

Stewie's most probably correct. It's likely that the Hard Drive is fine, yet shut off from the outside world inside a dead Maxtor enclosure.

Your best option is probably to purchase a really good external enclosure, like the 3.5" Icecube Generation II Pleiades Super S Combo - presuming your Hard Drive is a 3.5" SATA Hard Drive, open the Maxtor enclosure and transplant the Hard Drive into the Icecube enclosure.