PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Ti

Kuma
23rd August 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi
I have just sold my old Ti Powerbook.

I would love to clean it all out so that when the new owner turns it on she gets the whole welcome to your new computer.

I imagine it is just a case of reformating the HD and reinstalling the OS.

The question is can I just reinstall OSX or will I have to reinstall OS9 (it originally came with OS9 - and it still lurks on the HD).

any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

dangelovich
23rd August 2005, 02:58 PM
Unless you got some kind of upgrade disc from Apple, you should be able to reinstall directly from the OS X disc.
Just insert the disc, and restart with the C key held down. There will be an option for a Clean Install, if I recall correctly.
I'm not sure how you'd go about making sure the machine boots with all that welcome stuff though...

OziMac
23rd August 2005, 03:00 PM
Hey Kuma

I imagine the TiBook's software restore disk would install OS 9, right?

In that case, if you have a full install disk of any version of OS X, you should use that to wipe the disks and reinstall a clean version of OS X. Just make sure you're not installing an 'up-to-date' version of OS X, which requires a previous installation of OS X on the hard drive.

Just out of interest, what are the specs of the machine, how much did you get for it, and what are you replacing it with? :)

Kuma
23rd August 2005, 03:11 PM
TiPB 500mHz 256mb RAM 40GB HD.
Currently running OSX.3xx
Will install Tiger on to her

no dead pixels
$600

Squozen
23rd August 2005, 03:14 PM
Would a new user really want OS9 though? Personally I'd think the average browser/email type would prefer the extra HD space.

OziMac
23rd August 2005, 03:14 PM
Man, I would have taken it off your hands for a little more than that - you should have put it up on the trading forum! :)

Kuma
23rd August 2005, 03:15 PM
oh and I already replaced it with a PB 1.25?? GHz (I think she's a .25) with 1GB RAM and 80GB HD (15" version)

but I just purchased an iBook (12") with 1GB RAM.

Kuma
23rd August 2005, 03:16 PM
The discount price was for a family friend....
(I know it was cheap).

Kuma
23rd August 2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Aug 23 2005, 03:14 PM
Would a new user really want OS9 though? Personally I'd think the average browser/email type would prefer the extra HD space.
I was actually expressing my naivety here...

wasn't sure if OS9 needed to be installed or if I could wipe it and just have OSX

OziMac
23rd August 2005, 03:19 PM
Fair enough - hope they're happy with that, a very sweet deal for them :)