PDA

View Full Version : burning a disk

youngin
1st March 2010, 08:40 PM
pardon my ignorance but...W T F is going on in disk utility?! i am trying to burn a dvd but can't seem to understand wtf is going on there! in "help" it gives instructions on either creating image and burning it (didnt work out, nothing comes up on disk when finished) or selecting a source and destination, but how am i supposed to select a destination (i.e. blank dvd) when the original one is still in the drive!?

someone please help :o

glacierdave
2nd March 2010, 07:50 AM
I find it easier to use Burn (Get it here (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/)) instead. Much easier to drive, and free.

mrbolano
2nd March 2010, 08:17 AM
I think we need more information before anyone can diagnose your issues.

Have you burnt a DVD before?

What machine are you using?

What OS X version?

What exactly happened? (your explanation is a bit muddle)

youngin
2nd March 2010, 05:02 PM
haha sorry guys..i was VERY frustrated when i posted that...basically i couldn't copy a dvd disk with the tools i already had (mbp-osx 10.5.8)..in the end i came across "Burn" app and downloaded it, managed to burn some dvds but found that it still wont burn some semi-legit dvds;)

cheers

EDIT: i'd never burnt a dvd on mac before, only had my mbp for about 6 months

glacierdave
2nd March 2010, 06:55 PM
Some DVDs (particularly movies) have copy protection that can make it more difficult to just copy them.

youngin
3rd March 2010, 01:44 PM
nahh they weren't originals, just some shows from the old country for my old lady to watch, got them from family friend

NILcorp
3rd March 2010, 10:06 PM
Get a hold of Toast Titanium 10! It will save you from any future hassles.

Nevertheless, Burn is free.

gehenna
3rd March 2010, 10:16 PM
I've always found Toast to be overkill, and overpriced, for what it is. Burn and/or Finders inbuilt burning have never failed me.

dickg
4th March 2010, 04:11 PM
Leaving aside copy protection, I simply insert a blank DVD, drag the file to the DVD icon and move it to the trash (which now looks like a nuke emblem).

Cup of coffee or a beer and my machine will trill at me to signal it is done. (I am on 10.6.2.)

youngin
5th March 2010, 12:52 AM
Leaving aside copy protection, I simply insert a blank DVD, drag the file to the DVD icon and move it to the trash (which now looks like a nuke emblem).

Cup of coffee or a beer and my machine will trill at me to signal it is done. (I am on 10.6.2.)

wait, what do you mean you drag the file to the dvd icon... you mean to dick icon that appears on desktop?

dickg
5th March 2010, 05:35 PM
Yep = The DVD icon that appears on the desktop when you stick one in.

battye
5th March 2010, 05:51 PM
I have a late 2008 model iMac... will I be able to burn dual layer DVD's?

JaimeSharp
5th March 2010, 06:21 PM
Battye you can indeed burn dual layer discs to confirm this though go to about this mac select more info look at disc burning here is an example I have a imac from mid 2008 so my drive shows me

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:

Firmware Revision: FM0S
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media:
Type: DVD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

as the drive is the same you can do what mine says as well.

battye
5th March 2010, 06:43 PM
JaimeSharp, thanks! Indeed it is the same as yours "DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW", good news :)

MrJesseRoss
5th March 2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, all new Macs have the ability to burn DL DVDs. Even my old G5 iMac can, and that's from 2005! The main problem I have is actually finding the blasted things.

youngin
5th March 2010, 11:42 PM
sweet thanks guys!

battye
6th March 2010, 04:18 PM
Can all DVD players read dual layer disks?

MrJesseRoss
6th March 2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah. Just about every commercial DVD is dual layer. That's why there's sometimes a pause in the middle of a DVD movie. That's the player having to shift to the second layer.

battye
6th March 2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah. Just about every commercial DVD is dual layer. That's why there's sometimes a pause in the middle of a DVD movie. That's the player having to shift to the second layer.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant computer DVD players, like if I was to burn 8GB of files to a DL disk on my Mac, could I put this into any Windows computer and it would read all of the files no problems?

JaimeSharp
6th March 2010, 09:22 PM
in windows it will read it fine generally as 99% of drive are + or - DL Supported so it should work fine some older drives which were slower were + DL only if burnt correctly it will work on 99% of drives.