PDA

View Full Version : Macbook or Macbook Pro?

kaiowas
1st March 2010, 11:53 AM
Howdy people

I've noticed a couple threads about comparing the MBP to the standard MBook but I'm considering buying a new laptop soon and am leaning towards the standard macbook. I've only recently started looking into it, but from what I can tell the standard macbook is a pretty good deal considering it has an LED display, 7 hour battery life, new enclosure and more ram than the previous model. I will probably only use it for browsing the web, typing up documents, viewing movies, maybe some light gaming and video editing (nothing hd though).

However, the macbook pro does have a backlit keyboard, aluminum body and I vaguely recall the guy at the apple store in Myer saying something about dedicated memory for graphics? However, I'm not sure I would be using any programs that would test the full performance of the mbp.

I'm just not sure the extra $300 for the standard macbook pro is worth it? Can anyone who has recently purchased the standard macbook comment on it, preferably the pro's and cons of it. Considering I've been using a powermac G4 sawtooth for the past 5 years I think anything would be better than what I'm using now.

gehenna
1st March 2010, 12:04 PM
For me the main con is the polycarbonate body. While the newer unibody design is less prone to cracking than the previous model, it's still not as sturdy as the aluminium unibody in my opinion. With all the problems I personally had with the MacBook 2.0 casing I'd never go with anything but aluminium regardless of whatever design improvements they have made to the polycarbonate casing. Once (or in my case 4 times) bitten, twice shy etc.

Balthazar
1st March 2010, 12:22 PM
Go for the base aluminum Macbook Pro 13 inch, Gehenna is right about the white body, no major issues except for discoloration and chipping around the edges, but that is enough for me to steer clear.

You wont need the discreet graphic card of a higher end MBP models (15 inch and above) unless you plan on 3d Gaming (like Mass Effect 2 etc... anything from the last 3 or so years). Unless of course you want a larger screen.

Spend the extra, the fit and finish is worth it.

tinhead88
1st March 2010, 02:10 PM
Since you wanted pros and cons...
There is one serious drawback with the new aluminium unibody design. It does not absorb shock as well as the polycarbonate ones. I have a friend who bought a unibody recently and when she opened it up one day the screen was cracked. It was in its soft carry-case and not dropped or mishandled. It is a mystery how the screen could have cracked so easily. But here's the clincher...
Cost to fix: A$1000 - 2000 due to unibody design they cannot replace the glass panel which is apparently welded to the case.

Balthazar
1st March 2010, 03:08 PM
But here's the clincher...
Cost to fix: A$1000 - 2000 due to unibody design they cannot replace the glass panel which is apparently welded to the case.

Jaysus!!!

I think im going to be alot more careful with my Macbook Pro from now on...

kaiowas
1st March 2010, 08:00 PM
Hmmm, not a lot of support for the macbook. After looking at all the case breaks and cracks in the previous macbook model I kind of thought apple would have made more of an effort to fix it in the new model. Bit of a shame. I geuss I'll have a bit of play with the macbook pro next time i'm in the city.

Balthazar
1st March 2010, 08:46 PM
the Glass trackpad is great, not sure if the white macbook has a glass trackpad

gehenna
1st March 2010, 08:48 PM
the Glass trackpad is great, not sure if the white macbook has a glass trackpad

It sure does.

kaiowas
6th March 2010, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know the difference between a LED screen and a Backlit LED Glossy screen? I've seen both listed on some of the macbooks I've been looking at in the apple refurb store and some just say glossy screen?
Does that mean if it is a LED Glossy it's going to have glare and reflection?

Balthazar
6th March 2010, 12:36 PM
Does that mean if it is a LED Glossy it's going to have glare and reflection?

To answer as simply as possible.. yes

..although i dont find it bad at all, depends where you sit your laptop, dont have strong light behind you.

felixPRO
11th March 2010, 02:33 AM
so performacewise between the two? same?

i have to replace my destoryed macbook pro. and i struggled to buy the first one. so concidering the macbook.

mastercool
11th March 2010, 04:47 AM
macbook pro has a backlit keyboard so id recommend it over the original macbook

dche5390
11th March 2010, 02:39 PM
I am a fan of the new unibody white MacBook. Why? Because it is exactly the same essentially in terms of performance when compared to the current 13" base MBP.

The screens have been drastically improved. The glass touchpad is the same as the MBP. And plastic/polycarbonate is more forgiving on scratches than aluminium.

My vote goes for the MacBook. Or the older alu unibody MB if you can get one. I'm a big fan of the new inbuilt batteries as they just go on and on and on.

I've owned the original white MB, alu macbook, and the 13" MBP. The only thing that I always suggest is to buy within your means and upgrade up to a 7200rpm HDD.

Balthazar
11th March 2010, 03:16 PM
The glass touchpad is the same as the MBP. And plastic/polycarbonate is more forgiving on scratches than aluminium.

Unless they have changed the material significantly since adopting the "Unibody" style white macbook i would have to contest this claim.

I have had both a Polycarbonate Macbook and Macbook Pro Unibody for over a year and the white macbook is 10 times more scratched than the MBP.

In fact apart from on the bottom my MBP has no scratches at all and the white MB has thousand of fine scratches all over that are visible under strong light.

dche5390
11th March 2010, 03:37 PM
A long scratch on aluminium alloy case is much more painful than a scratch on plastic/polycarbonate. Well, that's my view anyway.

I've used the backlit keyboard perhaps twice in total. It isn't very useful and in boot camp mode, is a pain to turn it off completely.