PDA

View Full Version : Imic Quality Of Microphone In Garageband

landog
22nd August 2005, 10:13 PM
Guys help!

Im all setup and my new powerbook rocks!

The last thing im trying to get working perfectly is my external microphone.

I went out and bought a griffin imic so that i could plug my external mic in, im told theres no other solution?

Anyhow if i monitor the mic in garageband, or record a track its very disstorted and theres a constant humming as a result of the external mic.

Im thinking that this is just a reality with a USB input for a mic ?

Whats the best alternative as I need a perfect mic input for my podcasts.

Would love some help or suggestions ?

Cheers

Matt

landog
22nd August 2005, 10:31 PM
i found this over here : http://www.theappleblog.com/2005/04/27/imi...fin-technology/ (http://www.theappleblog.com/2005/04/27/imic-by-griffin-technology/)

Griffin Technology also states that they isolate the noise of the computer from the unit. In my case I did have noise problems through the iMic. But this noise was due to the problem that I and many dual G5 owners have with processor cycling and power supplies. There is some glitch in the design of many G5s that sends strange static and chirping noises through all audio devices. The resolution I found after tons of research was to turn off napping in the system prefs. To do that you must have the Apple Developer Tools and CHUD installed.

what do you think ?

would this be the case on my Powerbook G4

downsys
23rd August 2005, 01:53 AM
no noise complaints from my iMic/iBook combination. since ur using a powerbook, u needn't have purchased the iMic. it's more for setups without an audio in. i'd recommend getting a usb mic, or this :

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info....roducts_id=3568 (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=43_111&products_id=3568)

Mikey
23rd August 2005, 09:35 AM
You could try putting the mic directly into the line in socket (whoever told you to buy an iMic as the only way of plugging the mic in must have shares in Griffin - if you are going to buy a USB interface there are better quality ones around for a little more money, or just use the line in on the PB for about the same quality as the iMic as far as I can make out.)

When you record with the mic and monitor on the PB, do you mean you monitor as you are recording? You will get interference/feedback doing this, as the mic will tend to pick up the sound from the PB as well as from your voice. I always monitor with headphones. Have you checked the input levels - it sounds like you are overdriving the input if it is distorting (system preferences/ sound/ input). Have you tried recording other things through the iMic, eg a turntable, CD. If you have the same problem it could be the iMic or USB lead that is faulty, or the input settings on Garageband set too high. If a CD etc records fine, the mic is faulty.

Sorry if all this is a bit obvious.

landog
23rd August 2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mikey@Aug 23 2005, 09:35 AM
You could try putting the mic directly into the line in socket (whoever told you to buy an iMic as the only way of plugging the mic in must have shares in Griffin - if you are going to buy a USB interface there are better quality ones around for a little more money, or just use the line in on the PB for about the same quality as the iMic as far as I can make out.)

When you record with the mic and monitor on the PB, do you mean you monitor as you are recording? You will get interference/feedback doing this, as the mic will tend to pick up the sound from the PB as well as from your voice. I always monitor with headphones. Have you checked the input levels - it sounds like you are overdriving the input if it is distorting (system preferences/ sound/ input). Have you tried recording other things through the iMic, eg a turntable, CD. If you have the same problem it could be the iMic or USB lead that is faulty, or the input settings on Garageband set too high. If a CD etc records fine, the mic is faulty.

Sorry if all this is a bit obvious.
So guys are you saying i can use the line in on the powerbook with my mic directly.. !!!

Some one told me this was impossible :(

Regarding the monitor yeah I just tick monitor in the track options in garageband and i get all this background static / snow effect.

and it sounds all distorted :( (yep i monitor with the headphones)

I generally have the input on the mic at halfway

Perhaps the imic is the problem??

if i can plug my mic straight into the line in then there might not be an issue after all ?

appreciate any other advice you might have

by the way the onboard mic sounds perfect so i know that its probably got something to do with the imic, but i didnt realise that i can plug a mic directly into the line in ?

landog
23rd August 2005, 11:04 AM
guys im even more confused now.

I rang a guy i trust at macentric and he said I DO need a USB type interface to input my mic..

Mikey you sound like you know what your talking about here.. would it be possible to call you or you call me?

Ill PM you my number and let me know if thats allright.. i just want to get this final thing sorted so i can do my podcasts :)

cheers

p53
23rd August 2005, 11:49 AM
ozpodcaster
The reason you may need a mic interface is because the audio-in port on the PB is a line-in port, NOT a mic-in. Therefore, some mics (i.e. ones that require phantom power) do need a mic interface to boost the signal.
If however, you are recording something from say a discman and you use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm line to connect the discman's headphone jack to the PB's line-in jack this signal is at the line level and does not require an intermediate interface.
Does that make sense? Not sure if I explained it very well.
p53

spike@au
23rd August 2005, 12:05 PM
could also be an impedence problem with the mic. I run a Griffin IMic and a Griffin stereo lapel mic for podcasts and the quality to more than satisfactory. The only thing the lapel mic requires is a wind shield for outdoor use. Cheers all Spike

landog
23rd August 2005, 01:51 PM
just spoke to mikey on the phone which was very helpful. i also rang simon at maccentic and he said that there is a gain control on the imic itself?

I didnt see any switch for gain but I guess ill go home and have a better look tonight.

Its all very weird.

can someone who uses the imic with the griffin lappel mic post their settings in terms of input volume in the sound control pannel and their settings for a voice track in on garage band?

cheers matt

landog
23rd August 2005, 07:05 PM
BIG NEWS

I CAME HOME AND TRIED EVERYTHING.. then i thought.. i wonder what would happen if i move the imic to the other usb input .. and boom its now working perfect..

its not longer next to the fan output on the powerbook which might have been interfeering!

Thanks to everyone for their input and support

landog
23rd August 2005, 09:21 PM
ooops i got excited to soon :(

man it sound good for a minute there :(

Ahh well i guess this imic is faulty / crapy?

Cheers

landog
24th August 2005, 05:07 PM
great news guys.

resolved the problem by searching the apple site.

Apparently you need to go to applications/utilities and run the audio / midi setup utility and increase the input from 8 bit 1 channel to 16 bit 2 channel.

now all is perfect!!

cheers matt

landog
25th August 2005, 04:57 PM
oh an everytime you start audacity it switches the setting back to 8

so i removed audacity :)

Mikey
25th August 2005, 05:52 PM
Glad you worked it out. I knew there had to be a simple solution.

aussieterry
28th August 2005, 12:55 PM
I've just bought a Griffin iMic to transfer a lot of vinyl stuff to CD. After a lot of problems with Audacity I eventually found Final Vinyl. It works perfectly except for a mains hum. I'm connecting my turntable direct to the iMic and no matter what I do I can't get rid of it. Then I discovered that Griffin does an earth loop adapter for US$12.99, but they want US$30.00 to ship to Australia. Trouble is I can't find one in Australia. Anyone know where it can be found here, or is there another solution?