PDA

View Full Version : New apple mac owner NEED HELP PLEASE

emz
24th February 2010, 07:21 PM
hi anyone out there can help... i just brought us the new apple mac 27" and there were none left out back so they sold us the demo..... thought that it was a bargin with all the software but now we've brought it home were having dramas does anyone out there know whats the problem?????

stab
24th February 2010, 07:26 PM
What exactly IS the problem?

- not starting up?
- admin account password?

Need to know the details!

MrJesseRoss
24th February 2010, 07:27 PM
What exactly are the problems you're having? It's quite difficult to help without details. :)

emz
24th February 2010, 07:30 PM
cant install any other programes
eg: printer.... installed skype yesterday and now its gone??

emz
24th February 2010, 07:35 PM
I even imported some pics from my iphone last night and now they're no longer there?

gareth
24th February 2010, 07:47 PM
click the apple logo top left corner and click about this mac

what version of mac os x ?

emz
24th February 2010, 07:48 PM
mac OS X Version 10.6.1

gareth
24th February 2010, 07:57 PM
what type of account are you using? ie admin, sharing only, standard

click system preferences in your dock - account

emz
24th February 2010, 08:06 PM
my account apple demo

glacierdave
24th February 2010, 08:07 PM
When you say they sold you the demo, did they restore the normal Snow Leopard operating system on it or did they leave it (if it was in the first place) running the demo install of Snow Leopard.

The demo install of Snow Leopard (provided to retailers to show off Macs) includes iWork, MS Office for Mac, Aperture, etc, etc. Far more stuff than is normally included. However, it also has a range of other custom configurations that can get in the way of it being a normal home-use computer.

emz
24th February 2010, 08:16 PM
we got the demo as it was in the store there was no reinstall whats the pros and cons of that if any?????

gareth
24th February 2010, 08:19 PM
it must delete your info once you log out or shut down.

test it out.

emz
24th February 2010, 08:25 PM
ive crated a new account Im gonna log out of this "apple demo" account then log back in then see how I go???? talk soon:confused:

emz
24th February 2010, 08:45 PM
:thumbdn::thumbdn:BACK AGAIN after i shut down any changes i made were lost even a new user account HELP PLEASE :mad:

WindowsVista
24th February 2010, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a store setting so when restarted everything is back to normal. Definitely do a reinstall.

emz
24th February 2010, 08:50 PM
they gave us only snow leopard and i life is there a way of keeping all the other software?

MrJesseRoss
24th February 2010, 08:55 PM
No. They'll only be demo versions, intended to show what you can do with the Mac.

You didn't actually buy all of the software that's on that machine. All the Mac comes with is OS X, iLife and an iWork trial.

cosmichobo
24th February 2010, 09:07 PM
That may be so, but ALL new Macs are meant to come free with iLife.

emz
24th February 2010, 09:15 PM
so i guess i was sold a lemon?

emz
24th February 2010, 09:16 PM
:oor im a sucker

euphospug
24th February 2010, 09:22 PM
no, you're neither.

- reinstall Snow Leopard from the disk. restart the machine holding the C key down.
- this will boot from the DVD.
- install using 'erase and install'
- this is a clean install
- what is the other software that has been 'lost'?

If they have't made you aware that this software was demo only at time of sale, you might be able to convince them to supply the software as you bought under the impression that it was included in the price.

MrJesseRoss
24th February 2010, 09:24 PM
No, you've been sold a demo model that's still in demo mode. It's still good, it's just somewhat gimped because of how it's been used so far.

If you do a complete reinstall of the system, it will be free of all the rubbish and you'll have a nice fresh machine to play with.

Balthazar
24th February 2010, 09:37 PM
What retailer was it?

Al Aero
24th February 2010, 09:49 PM
What retailer was it?

This i want to know aswell

haydio
24th February 2010, 10:47 PM
I know what the problem is.

When a Macs are set up at the retailer the Apple Rep will come in and install an Apple Demo version of OS X on to it.

This Apple Demo includes a program called Deep Freeze, which returns the computer to its original configuration after a reboot, unfortunately the only way to disable this is with the password, which the retailer won't know but the Apple Rep will.

Your only option is to either re-isntall OS X yourself or take it back to the retailer and ask for a refund.

I normally wouldn't tell someone to demand a refund, but in this case with the retailers lack of brains I think its necessary.

Edit:
I'd just like to add, its very strange for someone to sell the display, generally it goes against the Apple-Retailer policy.

cosmichobo
24th February 2010, 11:54 PM
Display stock gets sold all the time...?! I've often made offers on display stock.

25th February 2010, 07:31 AM
If they've sold it to you under the basis that the software on the computer was free and fully functional, then you really should take the issue up with the store as that constitutes fraud.

It might simply be a particular salesman who was being slimy, and in that case the owner of the store needs to know so he can fire the offender. But if the store turns around and says cavaet emptor, I'd take it up with the ACCC.

glacierdave
25th February 2010, 07:47 AM
First up, no, there's nothing wrong with the hardware (i.e. the actual computer). From what you've said, it's working fine. Re-install OSX and iLife from the DVD's supplied and you're good to go.

However, if the store has sold this computer to you on the basis that you got all this other software for free then they've been a little unethical. Keeping the software working leaves the computer all but unusable.

At the very least, I'd expect the store to restore it back to a fully working OSX install.

Depending on how the sale was presented to you (i.e. what you were told it includes) you may also have a case for other action or restitution. Ultimately, some of that will depend on what you were told and how much you want to keep the computer you've just purchased.

Bottom line is that, intentionally or otherwise, they've done the wrong thing by you and they should be made aware - perhaps the sales droid didn't know any more than you did.

haydio
25th February 2010, 08:39 AM
Display stock gets sold all the time...?! I've often made offers on display stock.

Must vary on different store fitouts, we are unable to leave a gap at the store I work at.

craigc
25th February 2010, 04:19 PM
You should name and shame the store.

I would also tell Apple about the experience you had.

nibbles
25th February 2010, 07:02 PM
No all macs should have two discs with them, an applications one that contains iLife, iDVD add-ons etc & an OS X install DVD which you use to reinstall the operating system. Go back and talk to them ask them what was on it whether they were full versions and if they were could you please have the discs. All the macs i've looked at in shops always had the full version of office etc on them running a normal version of OS X

haydio
25th February 2010, 07:10 PM
The display image contains, Snow Leopard, iLife, iWork, and Microsoft Office. When new models come out we replace the old ones on display with the new ones and sell the old ones with a fresh install of the OS and iLife, the demo software is not included.

matt231
25th February 2010, 08:54 PM
Haydio is correct - /all/ demonstration macs have Deep Freeze installed. To confirm this, hit Control+Shift+Option+F6 (in that order). A deep freeze login box should pop up. Alternatively, type "dfx" into the spotlight menu in the top right of the menubar.

You're pretty stuck without the password - my guess is that a firmware password would also be set on the mac, making the removal of deep freeze impossible.

MacDave
26th February 2010, 01:06 AM
so i guess i was sold a lemon?

Just reinstall OS X on it. You won't be able to draw any conclusions until you do.

Dave

stab
1st March 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm interested - what was 'all the extra software' installed on the machine?

AND

Is the extra software stuff that you are actually going to use?

Currawong
1st March 2010, 09:27 PM
I'd really like to know who the retailer was that was so incompetent that they didn't restore the machine before selling it.

cosmichobo
1st March 2010, 11:34 PM
Or do we smell phish yet?

mrbolano
2nd March 2010, 09:26 AM
A lemon? No necessarily. A fresh install of OS X and iLife and you'll be fine. Sure, you'll loose all those other programs but like someone else said, you didn't actually buy them anyway.

AS to whether you're a sucker, that depends on the price you got for the demo model.

Where did you buy it from? A reseller probably because an Apple store wouldn't sell a demo model stuck in that mode with a bunch of software on it that you didn't actually purchase.

DagrtheSnide
2nd March 2010, 09:36 AM
Sure, you'll loose all those other programs but like someone else said, you didn't actually buy them anyway.

That really is dependent on what the sales person has said.

mrbolano
2nd March 2010, 01:26 PM
That really is dependent on what the sales person has said.

Yes, that is true. My whole comment was fairly pointless anyway. That's what happens when you open multiple mactalk tabs and don't get around to reading and replying for a couple of hours and things move on. :o