PDA

View Full Version : Create global shortcut to adjust iTunes volume

wholikespotatoes
23rd February 2010, 10:02 PM
As I am now always using the AirTunes functionality for my music I was wondering if there was a way to create a system-wide shortcut for adjusting the volume within iTunes. I say within iTunes as the standard volume adjustment doesnt affect the speakers connected through AirTunes.

I am hoping there could be a way to do this without the use of third party software (I know the shortcut within iTunes is Command+Up/Down)... but i am starting to think that it might be necessary.

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

cosmichobo
23rd February 2010, 10:49 PM
Do you mean for "standardising" the volumes of your collection?

Cybix
23rd February 2010, 11:19 PM
adjusting the volume in iTunes. I'm sure that means, increasing and decreasing the vol on demand. (not normalizing songs)

icant
23rd February 2010, 11:44 PM
I use a third party app (sorry) already to activate macros -- Keyboard Maestro. It has built in iTunes volume control commands. I use it primarily for its other features.

I doubt there’s a way to do so without 3rd party software, but I would be interested to know.

bullrout
24th February 2010, 06:17 PM
Quicksilver will do it via keyboard triggers and it's free.

wholikespotatoes
24th February 2010, 09:30 PM
Quicksilver will do it via keyboard triggers and it's free.

Hmm maybe its time I download Quicksilver then... have always been reluctant haha

Albert_Thurgood
24th February 2010, 10:52 PM
Its not as cheap as free, but it IS cooler.

You can get this gizmo:
Griffin Technology: PowerMate - USB Multimedia Controller (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate)
and set the wheel twirl one way for volume increase, the other way for decrease.

In fact you can program it for a lot of different stuff, either application-specific or system-wide.

The advantage for your purpose is that you could have your keyboard etc out of sight, and control the volume with a device that any guests are likely to have not seen before.

wholikespotatoes
24th February 2010, 11:02 PM
Its not as cheap as free, but it IS cooler.

You can get this gizmo:
Griffin Technology: PowerMate - USB Multimedia Controller (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate)
and set the wheel twirl one way for volume increase, the other way for decrease.

In fact you can program it for a lot of different stuff, either application-specific or system-wide.

The advantage for your purpose is that you could have your keyboard etc out of sight, and control the volume with a device that any guests are likely to have not seen before.

Heh that is pretty cool... i mean not quite suitable for this purpose as my laptop is moved around heaps... but i do like it nonetheless! ;)