PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is going to happen to the widgets for iPad?

hobbsy101
22nd February 2010, 12:42 PM
This rumour's been a buzz for a few weeks now; but do you think the stocks, weather, clock and calculator apps will be formed into dashboard widgets for the iPad seeing they weren't visible or even demoed briefly at the keynote.

But seeing that this is Apple, the Apple that doesn't implement a lot of basic things, Calculator making a return is slim. Let's hope not

Balthazar
22nd February 2010, 12:52 PM
My uneducated guess is that they will either be completely rewritten for a full screen experience or included as they currently are, no change.

I doubt it will run anything as a widget or non full screen

skritter
22nd February 2010, 01:19 PM
They my introduce a Mac styled DASHBOARD

Balthazar
22nd February 2010, 01:22 PM
They might,

But not pre-launch.

marc
22nd February 2010, 02:28 PM
I think Apple simply didn't have all the built-in apps finished for the announcement. I'm not expecting Dashboard (HTML/CSS) style development for iPad apps or widgets. It could happen, but I think it's more likely that it won't.

pixelicious
22nd February 2010, 03:24 PM
why not a HTML/CSS dashboard like OS X ? wouldn't that be great to help push development more into webkit as well as cocoa touch?

it could be webkit for fart apps, cocoa touch for "serious business"

harrisonx
22nd February 2010, 03:27 PM
I think Apple simply didn't have all the built-in apps finished for the announcement. I'm not expecting Dashboard (HTML/CSS) style development for iPad apps or widgets. It could happen, but I think it's more likely that it won't.

Well, there already is an HTML/CSS development platform for the iPhone - Safari Web Clips (basically a website with a homescreen icon).

All Apple would have to do is create an API for Safari to access various parts of the phone's data (Address Book, for example) in the same way it can already access the GPS using HTML5's geolocation, and there you go.

I've built a couple of web apps specifically for use on the iPhone, using all the fancy shmancy tags to force things to run in full screen, utilising the local storage elements of HTML5. It's quite a fantastic platform for web development, and it'll only get better.

Dashboard widgets are already just HTML/CSS/JS with OSX hooks, so it wouldn't be too hard to port that over to the iPad, surely.