PDA

View Full Version : Computer World Online selling WiFi US Model iPads

hobbsy101
22nd February 2010, 11:56 AM
Gizmodo Australia had a story on how they were selling an iPad for $899. I emailed Computer World and it turned out they were selling the US Models and they would expect they would arrive 48 hours after the US Launch.

This is how they work out the pricing for the 32GB Model:

599 USD + $55 delivery & customs charge
Convert to AUD = 751 AUD EX GST
ADD GST: 826 inc GST COST

Sell for $899 INC GST incl delivery with insurance anywhere in AUST

Prices for 16GB $755, 32GB $899, 64GB $1029.

Not trying to sell for CW, I just think these prices are ridiculous and it would be cheaper for people to import one themselves on eBay. Which is what I'm doing if it's cheaper than CW.

decryption
22nd February 2010, 12:11 PM
Why would you need to order from overseas? Do you think Australia won't get it on launch day?

hobbsy101
22nd February 2010, 12:15 PM
well if its cheaper to import it from the US than just buying it from here I think I'd go with the cheaper option

Balthazar
22nd February 2010, 12:29 PM
I really don't think it will cost more $899+ from apple au (more like $649 for the 32gb wifi). sounds like a terrible deal for people with itchy gadget fingers.

hobbsy101
22nd February 2010, 12:32 PM
yeah thats what i thought balthazar. but i would've guessed the $649 price tag for the 16gb model not the 32gb. what would you think would be the price for the 16gb? thats what im looking at getting.

Japester
22nd February 2010, 12:34 PM
This seems very strange to me. I'm picturing that local pricing will be pretty much the same. Seems pointless. I can't imagine we won't get it on launch day.

hobbsy101
22nd February 2010, 12:37 PM
well i hope i didnt confuse any of you. But im adiment that we'll get the iPad at the same time as the US. But yeah, the US$499 price tag for australia would be a major price breakthrough if it happened. I'd probably predict the 16GB wifi model will come in between $550 to $650 AUD and will be released March 26th.

Balthazar
22nd February 2010, 12:49 PM
Im really hoping $549 for the 16 GB wifi but when i think about it im pretty certain it will be $599 and the 32gb $699 ;-(

canonafficionado
22nd February 2010, 01:07 PM
Why would you need to order from overseas? Do you think Australia won't get it on launch day?

I agree. Dick Smith even had a banner on their website enthusiastically saying the iPad is coming, and they'll update soon. To me it read like they were as keen as all of us to have it on Day 1.

dickg
22nd February 2010, 04:36 PM
Let's hope the Aussie dollar keeps going up.

yinyang
22nd February 2010, 04:41 PM
Let's hope the Aussie dollar keeps going up.

they'll (Apple) will be basing their Aussie pricing on how they think the AU$ will do over the next 6-12 months, not just how it's doing today.

6andy6
23rd February 2010, 07:31 AM
they'll (Apple) will be basing their Aussie pricing on how they think the AU$ will do over the next 6-12 months, not just how it's doing today.

And that is what will kill or kick start the iPad. If Apple decide wrong PLUS add a bit of extra profit (like they do here) then it will be cheaper to import from oversea's.

coljac
23rd February 2010, 09:36 AM

I don't see how. Nobody, including Apple, can know how it will do in the next 6-12 months. If they did, they wouldn't need to sell iPads, they could just make money as currency speculators.

grfxninja
23rd February 2010, 10:07 AM
I don't see how. Nobody, including Apple, can know how it will do in the next 6-12 months. If they did, they wouldn't need to sell iPads, they could just make money as currency speculators.

It's how they have been doing their Aussie pricing forever. Which is part of the reason that Apple items are dearer here when compared to elsewhere because they need to allow for fluctuations in the dollar value.
Otherwise they'd be updating the apple store website every second day…

decryption
23rd February 2010, 10:19 AM
It's how they have been doing their Aussie pricing forever. Which is part of the reason that Apple items are dearer here when compared to elsewhere because they need to allow for fluctuations in the dollar value.
Otherwise they'd be updating the apple store website every second day…

Apple look ahead, but not *that* far ahead.
They take an educated guess for the next 3 months or so I would presume. It's bitten then in the arse before. The iMacs used to be spectacularly cheap compared to the US when the dollar tanked and then they upped the price, almost adding $1k to the price of an iMac.

kyte
24th February 2010, 06:40 AM
I was pretty sure that price changes only occurred with new model releases and those prices were based on current exchange rates. What goes around, comes around, so to speak. They release often enough to make up any perceived shortfall when the next dollar drop occurs, as we all know it will.

jesse
24th February 2010, 09:58 AM
The only thing more annoying than winging about the Australian/US price gap of Apple gear is speculation about the Australian/US price gap of Apple gear.

We don't have it that bad at all, especially when you add the 9% sales tax in the US to the advertised product price.

nibbles
24th February 2010, 07:25 PM
If you were in the US and bought from an apple retail store would that mean 10% tip aswell? because that's a bloody lot, imagine buying an Xserve or Mac Pro

MrJesseRoss
24th February 2010, 07:32 PM
If you were in the US and bought from an apple retail store would that mean 10% tip aswell? because that's a bloody lot, imagine buying an Xserve or Mac Pro

No, unless you buy your Mac in a pub.

implicity
25th February 2010, 07:08 AM
According to apcmag.com:

iPad Wi-FI with 16GB..............$649
iPad Wi-FI with 32GB..............$779
iPad Wi-FI with 64GB..............$849
iPad Wi-FI + 3G with 16GB.......$819
iPad Wi-FI + 3G with 32GB.......$949
iPad Wi-FI + 3G with 64GB.......$1099

I think the 32GB Wi-Fi version will do me. I rarely travelling and if I do, I have 3G on my iPhone to pass some time.

kevinnugent
25th February 2010, 07:46 AM
According to apcmag.com:

I think the 32GB Wi-Fi version will do me. I rarely travelling and if I do, I have 3G on my iPhone to pass some time.

Those prices look about right. I'm going to pick up the 32gb wifi version in the States on release. That will do me nicely.....

wumeimei
26th February 2010, 12:27 AM
I agree. Dick Smith even had a banner on their website enthusiastically saying the iPad is coming, and they'll update soon. To me it read like they were as keen as all of us to have it on Day 1.
Oh really?