PDA

View Full Version : Computer or Media Player for Airport Security?

SFSJ
22nd February 2010, 06:56 AM
I'm on my way to the airport this morning, thinking about the iPad (OK, obsessing) and I'm thinking about my usual romp through security.

Since I'm traveling sans laptop today, A) My bag is light and B) Security will go quickly.

Which gets me thinking: When the iPad drops, will the screeners see it as a laptop (out of the bag, in a separate bin, please, sir) or a media player (our iPods/iPhones can go through in bags and it's all good.)

Any thoughts on this?

I'm guessing because of the size/etc. that it will be more in the iPhone/iPod category.

SFSJ

Ecto1
22nd February 2010, 07:48 AM
No matter what airport security will jump all over it like it's a laptop. The way I see it anything that looks bigger then a phone is counted as a laptop.

TheKeddi
22nd February 2010, 07:54 AM
I'm going to Cairns from Adelaide next week, is airport security that bad with laptops at the moment? Or is it just that you take it from your bag and stick it in the tray still?

Taking my macbook on the plane with me to watch a couple of movies in flight.

Oh and to answer the original post? I think they will treat it as a laptop due to the size.

melbmac
22nd February 2010, 08:51 AM
It'll be treated as a laptop...

Cassy
22nd February 2010, 08:54 AM
I had a 6" ebook which I kept in my bag thinking it would be ok.. apparently its not.

Had to take it out and treat it like a laptop, so I assume the ipad would be the same

Ecto1
22nd February 2010, 09:00 AM
I'm going to Cairns from Adelaide next week, is airport security that bad with laptops at the moment? Or is it just that you take it from your bag and stick it in the tray still?

Taking my macbook on the plane with me to watch a couple of movies in flight.

Oh and to answer the original post? I think they will treat it as a laptop due to the size.

I've spent the last few weeks flying all over the place and I can tell you that they will get you to put your Macbook through the xray alone. If you ask me whats the point of xray machines when they cant xray through a laptop case.

melbmac
22nd February 2010, 09:12 AM
I've spent the last few weeks flying all over the place and I can tell you that they will get you to put your Macbook through the xray alone. If you ask me whats the point of xray machines when they can xray through a laptop case.

I thought it was more about zippers, cables, chargers and whatever else resides in laptop bags obscuring the view?

glacierdave
22nd February 2010, 09:46 AM
I've been doing the air travel thing a bit lately. I now use a day pack (one I've had for many years) and put my MBP in an STM neoprene slip cover.

At the airport, I put the MBP (still in it's slip cover) in a separate tray and then empty my pockets and put the day pack on top in another tray. In about a year of doing this I've not had any problems.

Not to say some airport security person won't get paranoid and object in the future but so far it's worked and I'm happier about being able to leave my MBP in it's cover.

Beau
22nd February 2010, 09:49 AM
I've been doing the air travel thing a bit lately. I now use a day pack (one I've had for many years) and put my MBP in an STM neoprene slip cover.

At the airport, I put the MBP (still in it's slip cover) in a separate tray and then empty my pockets and put the day pack on top in another tray. In about a year of doing this I've not had any problems.

Not to say some airport security person won't get paranoid and object in the future but so far it's worked and I'm happier about being able to leave my MBP in it's cover.
I do the same thing with my MacBook - just leave it in my Incase Neoprene sleeve and put it in the tray. Haven't had any complaints....

esm
22nd February 2010, 09:54 AM
I thought it was more about zippers, cables, chargers and whatever else resides in laptop bags obscuring the view?

same thing for me.. no fuzz.. quicker to follow than having it re-screened.

MrJesseRoss
22nd February 2010, 09:59 AM
I thought the requirement to put laptops through 'naked' had been dropped... When I flew to the UK in September 2008 I had to take mine out of its case going through Adelaide and Changi airports, but on the way back in January 2009, they only asked for it to be put through in its soft case.

~Coxy
22nd February 2010, 10:46 AM
They shouldn't care about a soft case, only a whole bag, but the policy is still in effect. I had to take my laptop out several times going Perth-Sing-Doha-Sing-Perth in Nov/Dec '09.

SFSJ
8th April 2010, 09:25 AM
This will be inconsistent, at best, since it's the TSA and may or may not apply to Australia, but...

AppleInsider | Apple's iPad can stay in bag for airport security screenings (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/06/apples_ipad_can_stay_in_bag_for_airport_security_s creenings.html)