PDA

View Full Version : Chances of improved firmware by release date

PCKid
21st February 2010, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking of the fact that the keynote showed the icons so far apart. Are we likely to see this resolved for larger amounts of apps per page? Better management of the Homepage etc. It seems to me that a duplicate of the iPhone interface doesn't quite do justice to this larger interface.

dodo
21st February 2010, 09:47 AM
My thinking is that the iPad will come with OS 3.2, much the same as presented. There's so many other things for Apple to do to get their iPad Apps finished by launch (bookmarks in Safari don't currently work in the iPad Simulator).

But we may see iPhone OS 4.0 demonstrated before the iPad goes on sale, so you'll know what's coming for your iPad in a few months.

MrJesseRoss
21st February 2010, 10:17 AM
If I remember correctly, it was shown that the iPad's dock holds more than 4 icons. I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case for the rest of the homepage. It would throw all the symmetry off!

There's also rumours of a 'widget' interface (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/20/apple-ipad-pre-orders-to-begin-february-25th-speculation-about-other-features/), which may explain why there were no Stocks or Weather icons shown. 60 days is a long time in technology, I think Apple's keeping a few surprises up its sleeve.

Lutze
21st February 2010, 12:50 PM
If I remember correctly, it was shown that the iPad's dock holds more than 4 icons. I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case for the rest of the homepage. It would throw all the symmetry off!

The iPad "dock" can hold up to 6 items in it's current incarnation. What will be interesting is if, as per the guidelines I've heard about (the iPad has no right or wrong way of being held), if the dock will flip / flop to the longer side and the apps spread their way along that way too.

Ps. This is not a firmware issue PCKid. This is software.

PCKid
21st February 2010, 12:54 PM
The iPad "dock" can hold up to 6 items in it's current incarnation. What will be interesting is if, as per the guidelines I've heard about (the iPad has no right or wrong way of being held), if the dock will flip / flop to the longer side and the apps spread their way along that way too.

Yes I did pause my fingers over the keyboard before choosing Firm over Soft (that didn't come out right either :0) ). I should have looked under iTunes where it clearly states Software.

dodo
22nd February 2010, 11:41 AM

Yep, 6 icons in the dock, which flips to the bottom & spreads out when in landscape.

The apps also move around when its flipped, which is a bit strange. You know, that Pages icon was second row first column a second ago, now I've flipped and its first row fifth column...

MrJesseRoss
22nd February 2010, 11:51 AM
The dock actually flips around so it's always at the bottom? I had no idea.

That's kinda cool. :)

skritter
22nd February 2010, 01:18 PM
You know! The iPad desktop is more akin the the Mac desktop than the iPhones as far as icon spacing and layout, and with the 3D dock bar as well.

Knowbody seems to think the icons on the Mac desktop are too small and overlly spaced.

Balthazar
22nd February 2010, 01:20 PM
You know! The iPad desktop is more akin the the Mac desktop than the iPhones as far as icon spacing and layout, and with the 3D dock bar as well.

Knowbody seems to think the icons on the Mac desktop are too small and overlly spaced.

You simply cannot compare the desktop of a Mac to the home screen of the ipad.

The iPad home screen, like the iPhone is an app/shortcut launcher. The Mac desktop is a content folder.

gehenna
22nd February 2010, 01:26 PM
The iPad home screen, like the iPhone is an app/shortcut launcher. The Mac desktop is a content folder.

Depends how you use it. A lot of people still use their Mac desktop as an application launcher. It's not effective, and it looks horrible, but they do it. So the comparison can be made quite easily. The difference being the Mac desktop is versatile, unlike the iPad/iPhone home screen.

Balthazar
22nd February 2010, 01:28 PM
True, they do... i feel like punching people who have hundreds of files and shortcuts on the desktop... i use it as a dumping ground for the day and clean it up pretty quickly.

cosmichobo
22nd February 2010, 04:15 PM
Assuming we saw the most up to date iteration in the presentation... they wont actually have had all that long to "finish up" everything - they would have to have stopped making any changes some time ago, and started proper production to ensure stock levels for launch date... yes?