PDA

View Full Version : Recent Items File

On-Site-Tec
21st August 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi, ive been searching around google to find out where OS X keeps a file of what recent apps, documents and servers have been opened.

I want to view a longer list perhaps with details in it. Longer than the one in the Recent Items in the Apple Menu. I know i can change this in System Preferences but its not what im really after.

Is there a way to find this file if it exists or perhaps even a way to view the list in Spotlight?

Matt.

snax
21st August 2005, 08:33 PM
It seems to be stored in some garbled + text format in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Not sure if that will help you at all.

Perhaps somebody has written a program which does what you want. Have you searched macupdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com) yet?

edit: don't bother, there's nothing there

Mark T
21st August 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@Aug 21 2005, 07:03 PM
Is there a way to find this file if it exists or perhaps even a way to view the list in Spotlight?
Yes, you can use spotlight.

In Finder, Command+F will bring up the default find window (using Spotlight). Once you massage it to your liking, save it as a smart folder.

snax
21st August 2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Mark T@Aug 21 2005, 09:45 PM

In Finder, Command+F will bring up the default find window (using Spotlight). Once you massage it to your liking, save it as a smart folder.
Great answer!

This is the way to go.

Mark T
22nd August 2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Mark T@Aug 21 2005, 09:15 PM

A short play around with this shows me that it works for documents & applications but not servers.

So, in accordance with the words of Jim Steinman…

two out of three ain't bad

On-Site-Tec
22nd August 2005, 10:23 AM
I can read the file fine, but it is still limited to the 10 (or how many set) recent documents/apps/servers.

I was more interested in being able to see ALL the documents that are opened but it looks like that isnt logged. But thats ok i was just curious about it.

Thanks guys :)

Matt.