PDA

View Full Version : Lost HD space

wokka59
21st February 2010, 04:53 AM
Just noticed my 640G Drive is getting full, only 107.4G left. When I run OmniDisc sweeper it gives the maximum hit as only 188.9 GB for users, all the other hits are pretty low. What's eating up all my drive space?

Cheers

Wokka

Mael
21st February 2010, 09:31 AM
Have you emptied your trash?

If that turns out not to be the problem I suggest looking at any of your software that keeps 'logs'. I once had a Skype conversation log that was over 2gb.

Currawong
21st February 2010, 09:44 AM
When I have this problem, I open up the hard disk, set it into list view, hit command-j (Show View Options) and turn on "Calculate all sizes" and then wait a while for it to do so. Then I click on the Size heading to sort by size and use the disclosure triangles (the little triangles on the left that, when clicked, show the contents of folders) to find out what is taking up all the space.
Could very well be a hidden log file. In the Finder, in the Go menu select "Go to Folder" and type in: /var/log

Do the same as I described above for there and see if any logs or folders are showing up your missing gigabytes. I imagine Omni Disk Sweeper would do this though?