PDA

View Full Version : Damaged iPhone 2G

dsiew
19th February 2010, 11:27 PM
Hi guys,

Dropped my iPhone 2G onto tiles a few days ago and it landed perpendicular, on its connector. Subsequently, the bottom half of the touchscreen does not work anymore. How do I know? I can still slide to turn off the phone, but I cannot slide to unlock or type in passcodes. Oddly enough, however, I can tap to snooze the alarm even though the snooze button is more than halfway down the screen.

Anyone know of any magic that can be worked, short of having it repaired? I know this is a *long* shot, so feel free to ignore my brazen request.

Thanks.

Danny

MightyAtom
20th February 2010, 12:59 AM
Does it still get a cellular and wifi signal? does it ring if you call it? If the glass and LCD aren't broken, by which I mean it's only the bottom of the touch screen not responding. There's a good chance you've just knocked the digitiser ribbon cable loose. Worst case you've torn the ribbon cable or broken the connector on the logic board, both would be expensive to repair.

It's a pretty daunting task to disassemble a 2G iPhone, but if you're willing have a look at this iFixit repair guide (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iPhone_1st_Generation).

dsiew
20th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the phone still works, it's just that I cannot unlock to use it! The only issue is that the ... digitizer (?) ... is not functioning properly, i.e. half the screen cannot be used.

I looked at iFixit last night, and truth be told I would NOT feel comfortable doing the operation. Only two choices remain, sell it to someone who might already have the parts or pay someone to fix it.

vernflan
23rd February 2010, 07:34 AM
How about getting a new phone?