PDA

View Full Version : dell VP proves he is a total wanker!

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 10:59 AM
CE-Oh no he didn't! Part LXVIII: Only Apple and dope smokers claim to know the future of tablets, says Dell VP -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-part-lxviii-only-apple-and-dope-smokers-cla/)

"Only Apple and dope smokers claim to know the future of tablets, says Dell VP"

QUOTE: "If anybody tells you they know exactly what's going to happen here, they're either Apple, or they're smoking dope."

he is saying apple don't know jack.....HE is NOT complimenting them..

like whats the last thing Dell INVENTED? Copying everyone else?!?

Currawong
19th February 2010, 11:39 AM
Great mis-quote. He actually said: "If anybody tells you they know exactly what's going to happen here, they're either Apple, or they're smoking dope." which sounds a lot more sensible.

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 12:10 PM
thats not the way I read it.. I read it as apple are dope smokers...

MrJesseRoss
19th February 2010, 12:19 PM

The quote was "If anybody tells you they know exactly what's going to happen here, they're either Apple, or they're smoking dope." That's two different reasons for claiming to know what the future is.

Apple, because they're a major influence on where technology is headed, and dope smokers, because people often come up with wild ideas and theories while under the influence.

bartron
19th February 2010, 12:25 PM

You have a future in politics.

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 12:29 PM
I am not the only one that hears it that way.... everything is not the same to everyone else.. thats the essence of human perception....

go look at the 100's of replies....

this sums up most of them:

"Xpoc Posted Feb 18th 2010 9:00PMNEUTRAL
I love how all the apple fan boys have twisted this to make it sound like he was saying apple knew the future of tablets. Like any company would admit that a rival had better foresight than themselves!

Learn to read guys. He was saying that no one knows where the market is going to go, and anyone who clas they do are deluded and/or not thinking straight ie apple and people on drugs.

I can't belive people are still defending the ipad. A device that has all the negatives of an iPhone, and no extra features other than a bigger screen......

Only apple would make a different sized version of an old product, and sell it as the future!"

now while I don't agree with the comments about the ipad.. he was using drugs and apple in the same sentence, thus implying that apple don't know jack.. learn to read between the lines......... thus the VP is a major idiot..

I for the record reackon Apple know exactly what they are doing....

Currawong
19th February 2010, 12:38 PM
It's because the title misconstrues the meaning of the quote to garner attention and hits. Normady, just admit you got sucked in and use it as a lesson in how you can be manipulated by the media.

bartron
19th February 2010, 12:40 PM
they're either Apple, or they're smoking dope

they're either Male, or they're Female
they're either Dogs, or they're Cats
they're either Black, or they're Orange
they're either on the phone, or they're ignoring you

There's not other way to read it....the word "either" implies a difference in the two things you are comparing.

you're either stupid, or you don't understand.

Some would read that as implying they are stupid because they don't understand but that is an incorrect translation of the statement.

Apple don't see the future because they are smoking dope. They see the future because they make the future. It's everyone else that is smoking dope.

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 12:41 PM
I respectfully disagree. Its exactly what He meant, and anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't get reading between the lines, you don't use smoking dope and apple in the same sentence to compliment one and degrade the other.

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 12:43 PM
they're either Male, or they're Female
they're either Dogs, or they're Cats
they're either Black, or they're Orange
they're either on the phone, or they're ignoring you

There's not other way to read it....the word "either" implies a difference in the two things you are comparing.

Some would read that as implying they are stupid because they don't understand but that is an incorrect translation of the statement.

Apple don't see the future because they are smoking dope. They see the future because they make the future. It's everyone else that is smoking dope.

you missed the key word here "claim"

the only people that claim to know are dope smokers ( a bad thing) and Apple....

its not the same as saying either black or white, or good or bad... not the same context here

bartron
19th February 2010, 12:50 PM
the only people that claim to know are dope smokers ( a bad thing) and Apple....

so how does what you just said equate to "Apple are dope smokers" ?

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 12:54 PM
he put them next to each other in that context, thus means they are just as bad as each other....

its like saying you are either a dickhead or collingwood supporter... what do you think I mean when I say that??... one is good and one is bad?... or that collingwood supporters are dickheads?

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 12:59 PM
here is the acid test... would he say this to steve jobs face? no.... if i said this to your face what you would say.....? come on....

bartron
19th February 2010, 01:07 PM
re-quote...becasue it's already been explained in the context of the quote.

The quote was "If anybody tells you they know exactly what's going to happen here, they're either Apple, or they're smoking dope." That's two different reasons for claiming to know what the future is.

Apple, because they're a major influence on where technology is headed, and dope smokers, because people often come up with wild ideas and theories while under the influence.

In the context of the quote he may as well have said

"If anybody tells you they know exactly what's going to happen here, they're either Apple, or they're from the future.

does not imply that Apple are from the future.

NORMANDY
19th February 2010, 01:12 PM
If I said what he said to steve jobs face I would expect a smack in the GOB, not a compliment.

end of line.....

dotnet
19th February 2010, 01:12 PM
The curious case of Steve Jobs is that he isn't content with knowing what the future holds, he wants to define it. He wants to replace the unpredictable, chaotic wrangling between companies that leads to new products and sometimes new ways of doing things with his own clearly laid out (if secret) vision.

Cheers
Steffen.

Japester
19th February 2010, 01:18 PM
Dell's scared. They've got a little tablet thing that will be reduced to irrelevance.

tangent23
19th February 2010, 01:22 PM
he put them next to each other in that context, thus means they are just as bad as each other....

its like saying you are either a dickhead or collingwood supporter... what do you think I mean when I say that??... one is good and one is bad?... or that collingwood supporters are dickheads?

while i can see what you're saying, if you said this ^ to me, i would think you were suggesting there are two types of people, dickheads and collingwood supporters [who are not dickheads]

forno
19th February 2010, 01:24 PM
I dont see anything offensive in what he said, its on a parralel to commenst about what the next iPhone will be, you are either apple or smoking dope.

I think you are drawing a long bow normandy

iGobbleoff
19th February 2010, 01:56 PM

this

skritter
19th February 2010, 08:27 PM
What he really said was "because we are not Apple, Dell needs to hire dope smokers to run there reseach and developement department."

melbmac
19th February 2010, 09:03 PM

This is where the thread should have been closed, right after this post.

areal
19th February 2010, 09:40 PM

Not that unreasonable really.

http://windowtowallstreet.com/images/APPLE%20JOBS%20WOZS.jpg

LCGuy
19th February 2010, 10:40 PM
"If I were running Apple, I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders." - Dell CEO, cicra 1997

They make great PCs (I challenge anyone to point out an actual fault in a Dell PC, they're really the best PC you can buy, short of building one yourself), but they're terrible at predicting the future.

bartron
19th February 2010, 10:47 PM
I challenge anyone to point out an actual fault in a Dell PC

Are you serious?...you want me to start with the expensive Precision desktops (mac pro equivalent) that couldn't run the 64bit version of Windows that it shipped with on the restore cd's or the latitude laptops that had umpteen firmware and finally hardware updates because the thing ran so hot the GPU would pop off the motherboard?

LCGuy
19th February 2010, 10:52 PM
I won't say they're perfect - no computer manufacturer is, not even Apple, but I have to admit, Dell PCs are still a lot better than any HP or Acer. When I recommend PCs to people, I always either suggest a Dell, or a homebuilt machine. (or in the case of lappys, Toshibas or Lenovo ThinkPads) My last Dell lasted a good 6 years, apart from the modem everything was either original or upgraded. I now have a nearly 1 year old Dell Studio 540 which I expect to last another 5 - 6 years without any major hardware failure.

bartron
19th February 2010, 11:03 PM
ah..well when compared to other namebrand manufacturers they stack up pretty well....but faultless they aint.

None of this talk disproves the theory that any VP from Dell is a wanker though.

6andy6
20th February 2010, 08:23 AM
I am not the only one that hears it that way.... everything is not the same to everyone else.. thats the essence of human perception....

go look at the 100's of replies....

this sums up most of them:

Yes...that is why toilet paper like the News Ltd papers exist....just cos 'others' hear it a different way does not mean they are hearing it the correct way. Lets all jump on a band wagon and go down to the river and lynch him cos we get puffy about it. You just have to read the comments in stories on the online version of the Herald Sun to see peoples ignorant bogan bigoted attitudes at work. Like sheep.....

NORMANDY
20th February 2010, 11:14 AM
sorry cant hear you.. barh barh

http://www.romics.it/portale/images/Castelli_Animati/Shaun_The_Sheep_1.jpg

LOL

dodo
21st February 2010, 10:14 AM
Ha. Dell's CEO has a dig at Apple and you think he was complimenting them?

What he was saying is that if you hear someone saying they know the future of the tablet, then they are either Apple or a dope smoker.

He's not saying that Apple actually know the future, he's saying that he believes Apple is known for mouthing off about the future and making outlandish claims. Because the only other person that attempts to make those sorts of statements are dope smokers that have lost a sense of reality.

A smack in the mouth from Steve Jobs would be appropriate from this statement.

NORMANDY
21st February 2010, 01:32 PM
finally some one understands english... thank you !

Lutze
21st February 2010, 02:49 PM
finally some one understands english... thank you !

lolz.

Someone else is a passive aggressive nut job. Congratulations. You should so get together and have a bromance.

NORMANDY
22nd February 2010, 08:27 AM
and you have the right like every other Australian... to be wrong... :) congrats!

Lutze
22nd February 2010, 11:16 AM
and you have the right like every other Australian... to be wrong... :) congrats!

Aye, see you have an advantage on me there... I'm not Australian. I come from a third world country where we are taught English by people who spoke it as a second language.

So.. I've checked with a friend who speaks proper English ( ;) )and their comment was this:

"It's a 'I shouldn't really be allowed to do public speaking and I should have left this up to the flack catchers' comment."

NORMANDY
22nd February 2010, 02:44 PM
Aye, see you have an advantage on me there... I'm not Australian. I come from a third world country where we are taught English by people who spoke it as a second language.

"

I suggest more lessons :) LOL :D