PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture Devices for Mac

Owley
19th February 2010, 02:21 AM
I am interested in 1. transferring VHS Tapes and 2. Coping TV shows so I can watch them later. I was using "Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac" but have had a problem with it and getting NO tech support from them. Sent a request over a week ago and have had no response. What happens is when I try to open the program I get a message saying that it "unexpectedly quit" and won't open. So I am in the process of requesting a refund from where I purchased it. In the mean time I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of a better devise.

Ian

BLINDER
19th February 2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe re-install the app?
Is it up-to-date? And is your OS?

stewiesno1
19th February 2010, 09:20 AM
I used a mates Pinnacle Video capture box on a MDD G4 under Tiger to transfer some mini VHS and a couple of VHS tapes to digital a year ago and it did its job well.
The movies looked shite on my plasma though - as to be expected with SD tapes onto a HD TV but at least I got them digitised.
Are you sure your specs and OS are all compatible ?
I assume you are using Leopard and not SL ?
The reason I ask is that I see no mention of Snow Leopard ,only Leopard on their download site.

The other thing to try is to ask advice on the Pinnacle forums.
Macintosh Video Capture made easy with the Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Video+Capture+for+Mac.htm)

Stewie

Currawong
19th February 2010, 11:34 AM
The version of the software in the box could be old. In some stores the software could have been sitting there for years! I'd see about downloading the latest version of the software (as has been basically suggested). Try contacting their tech support again, as a lot of email gets abandoned as spam, even though it isn't.

Owley
20th February 2010, 10:28 AM
To answer some of the questions posted,

I am using SL

There was an update for SL on the site and i added that.

I have re-instaled it atlease three times and no change.

I have asked questions on their forums and had no response

I have sent two requests to their tech support and have had no response.

I was going to request a refund from where i got it but I tossed the box as it worked for a week or so before this problem started. Now i can't return it. Dumb me I guess.

I appreciate all your help, more then I am getting from them...

ian

nibbles
20th February 2010, 02:40 PM
I read a thing on the accc website about being entitled to a refund without the box but couldn't find it again today, here is what I found

Under the Trade Practices Act 1974 you may seek a refund if goods:
• are or become faulty through no fault of your own
• are not fit for a stated purpose or a purpose you made known to our sales staff
• don’t match our description or sample
• have defects that were not obvious or we did not bring to your attention.
However, the goods must be returned within a reasonable period and you may be asked for proof of purchase. You may also be asked to demonstrate that the problem with the goods was not your fault.
If you prefer an alternative to a refund, we can arrange for goods to be exchanged or repaired. A store credit may be offered at our discretion.
Please choose carefully as you are not entitled to a refund if you simply change your mind. Keep your receipt as proof of purchase.