PDA

View Full Version : Buying an iPad: 1st or 2nd gen?

Tj94
18th February 2010, 09:14 PM
Hey,

With all the talk of the iPad, just wondering who is going to wait to the 2nd generation. Leaning towards this idea myself. What about you guys?

Toonz
18th February 2010, 09:17 PM
I would *like* to make myself wait for the 2nd gen, but I doubt it'll happen. The gadget lover in me won't be able to hold off!

ZeMule
18th February 2010, 09:19 PM
I'm going to find it hard to afford both a new iPhone come June-ish and an iPad. Doesn't mean I wont find a way...
What do you think the resale value on a mint condition iPhone 3G will be once the next model is released?

supermariobothers
18th February 2010, 09:28 PM
I'm just curious - do you think the ipads will pop up on the refurb store? (iphones don't) I'd probably buy a first gen refurb rather than wait it out for the second gen - That way I could watch for any price drops whilst waiting for them to come up.

wolfie
18th February 2010, 09:41 PM
The only reason I won't buy one is if I can't justify a use for it.
Which generations are irrelevant, as long as it does what I want it to do.
Gen 1 for me at the moment.

pixelicious
18th February 2010, 10:00 PM
Before I make any decision on purchasing, I'm waiting to get some hands on time at an apple store. I'd like to get a feel for how I might use an iPad. I already have some good ideas; with the 3g I think it'd make the ultimate computer support laptop. It has IPSEC vpn built in (just like the iPhone) so I can VPN to the office. I can then RDP to a Terminal Services gateway, and from there get into any servers I need. Plus it's light, has an awesome battery and almost unlimited connectivity (if i fork out for nextg)

but mostly I'd love to see this as a replacement for a couch pc / casual machine.

time will tell :)

jesse
19th February 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm still waiting for the 15th gen MacBook pro. The next one will always be better. :rolleyes:

Minkey
19th February 2010, 11:28 AM
Probably check out the WiFi model in store, read the reviews.

If it looks good buy the 3G version.

M

Japester
19th February 2010, 11:37 AM
I used to adhere to the "buy second-gen" argument but now that just annoys me. I now think it's stupid to wait for a second-gen device because you're denying yourself at least a year of interesting, productive, fun use of one. You can always upgrade. If it's a lemon, you're covered by AppleCare. The risk is low.

I envision the iPad to be a one-year device, in that I'll upgrade it every year. This year I'll get the entry level to save money and I'll buy a keyboard dock and a bag. These accessories alone will cost about $250--not inconsiderable. However, next year I'll have those and can invest more in the device itself.

TheKeddi
19th February 2010, 11:46 AM
1st gen for me, on release day! Can't help myself :-)

forno
19th February 2010, 11:57 AM
I am going to wait for the iPhone announcement before I commit

Richie Rich
19th February 2010, 02:08 PM
Definately gonna get one on release day! Can't WAIT!! :-)

Dust For Eyes
19th February 2010, 04:37 PM
I'll be getting a 3G one on its release day.