PDA

View Full Version : Looking at PDFs on iPad

mmulhern
18th February 2010, 12:20 PM
Up until the weekend I was probably not going to get an iPad (at least not the first time around), however my wife was trying to read PDFs on my MBP, and it was a very uncomfortable experience to say the least.

OK, not knowing exactly what will come on the iPad I was wondering (apart from viewing PDFs as email attachments) what apps are currently available, and recommended by other MacTalkers for viewing and importing PDFs on their iPhones.

Doing a quick scan of the laptop, there are at least several hundred PDFs files, mostly sewing/knitting/craft references and if I'm going to get her an iPad, I'd like to have an idea of whether there is something available to handle the PDFs.

thanks,

Michael

Japester
18th February 2010, 12:44 PM
Up until the weekend I was probably not going to get an iPad (at least not the first time around), however my wife was trying to read PDFs on my MBP, and it was a very uncomfortable experience to say the least.

OK, not knowing exactly what will come on the iPad I was wondering (apart from viewing PDFs as email attachments) what apps are currently available, and recommended by other MacTalkers for viewing and importing PDFs on their iPhones.

Doing a quick scan of the laptop, there are at least several hundred PDFs files, mostly sewing/knitting/craft references and if I'm going to get her an iPad, I'd like to have an idea of whether there is something available to handle the PDFs.

thanks,

Michael

I use Air Sharing on the iPhone. It turns the iPhone into a file server and you put PDFs on it, then read them.

Perhaps using Pages on the iPad to read PDFs would be a killer feature. You could also use the share point that you see when you plug it into the computer to directly copy files rather than doing that file-server rigmarole.

titan44
18th February 2010, 12:49 PM
I'd say the iBookstore will be the app to deal with it, How much support they give it is another thing, e.g. reflowable content would be good, but to my knowledge the Apple's pdf frameworks doesn't support it.

Looking at how Apple deals with apps now that duplicate functionality, I'd say you may not get much of a option as to ebook apps on the iphone, it may well be the iBookstore way or the highway.

TheKeddi
18th February 2010, 12:50 PM
That's the main thing I would like to know too!

Regardless, I'm getting an iPad but I would love to be able to read all the pdf's I have on there.

Japester
18th February 2010, 12:57 PM
Are we talking books here, or general content in PDFs? Something like Preview would be fantastic for just reading PDFs.

mmulhern
18th February 2010, 02:29 PM
Are we talking books here, or general content in PDFs? Something like Preview would be fantastic for just reading PDFs.

Yes, Preview for iPad is exactly what I'd like (and a method of getting the PDFs on to the iPad)

General content in PDF would be the best description. ePub files are currently handled adequately in Stanza, and I'd expect an iPad aware version of Stanza would not be unrealistic.

d_mini
18th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, Preview for iPad is exactly what I'd like (and a method of getting the PDFs on to the iPad).

Why not just email yourself a copy of the PDF and open and read it from there. If iPhones can do this, I don't see why an iPad won't.
D.

Japester
18th February 2010, 02:50 PM
Why not just email yourself a copy of the PDF and open and read it from there. If iPhones can do this, I don't see why an iPad won't.
D.

Not practical for volume work.

d_mini
18th February 2010, 03:36 PM
Not practical for volume work.

This might help then. PDF Reader Pro. (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/pdf-reader-pro/id300298606?mt=8)

titan44
18th February 2010, 04:32 PM
Yes, Preview for iPad is exactly what I'd like (and a method of getting the PDFs on to the iPad)

General content in PDF would be the best description. ePub files are currently handled adequately in Stanza, and I'd expect an iPad aware version of Stanza would not be unrealistic.

i think ePub files will be handled by the iBookstore app, Apple is going to have some difficulty with Stanza, as it's now under control of Amazon, and by all accounts, Amazon are scrambling like hell to work out it's counter punch to the iPad ecosystem. And as Apple won't let another in-device music store get any traction on it's mobile devices, I see no reason why they would let it be so with ebooks.

It looks like Apple is going to use Fairplay DRM as a wrapper for ePub formatted content. That being the case, i guess that the use on 5 devices still stands, so ebook "lending" becomes a bit more viable, so i'd say iBookstore has a built in ebook sharing ability. I'm also inclined to think that iBookstore will be the main viewer for PDF's, and as such, will be able to "lend" PDF's as well.

I don't really see Apple running Fairplay over PDF's, I'm thinking ePub DRM for more traditional books, but for media rich ebook content, producers will build stand alone apps. But there is a gap between the two that needs to be filled (epub and image rich content buckles at the knees from my experience) And there is plenty of scope within the PDF spec to do a lot of cool things.

There are many interesting ways this could play out.

sobie2000
18th February 2010, 04:40 PM
I think stanza will still be a viable option syncing PDF wirelessly to the ipad via it's desktop app or calibre.

You would think a 3rd party developer would also eventually come up with something.

titan44
18th February 2010, 04:48 PM
I think stanza will still be a viable option syncing PDF wirelessly to the ipad via it's desktop app or calibre.

Long term I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Apple has already pulled USB syncing on it (granted, it has also nixed it on other apps also) and gagged lexcycle from discussing it, Stanza is Amazon's man, and Apple knows it.

banjo
18th February 2010, 06:23 PM
Another option, depending on the size of the files and if you have Mobile Me, is to upload them to iDisk and use the iDisk app to download them to your phone (pad?) and read them. That way you don't have to have them all on the phone/pad at one time.

Kinda limited by your iDisk space and bandwidth though.

dagaz
18th February 2010, 06:27 PM
GoodReader is also a good PDF reader on the iPhone. For text only PDFs it converts them on the fly to text, making them much easier to read.

kt_kez
18th February 2010, 07:21 PM
I like using dropbox on the iPod touch, I assume it will be of greater value on the iPad. I wonder if we'll be able to annotate PDFs on the iPad? That would be awesome!

Tiprya
18th February 2010, 09:20 PM
iPad has disk mode - so you can just drag and drop and applications will be able to access and read pdfs from there.

Easy PDF reader.

matthew858
18th February 2010, 09:24 PM
Not every app has disk mode though, developers have to build it in. iPhone apps can't use it either, just native iPad apps built for the 3.2 OS.

El Guardo
18th February 2010, 10:03 PM
Given the iPad is designed for consuming content (in particular, reading) I expect Apple to include some way for you to easily read your PDFs. Why? Because a lot of the 'in-the-know' pundits have addressed the 'iPad-comes-with-less-apps-than-iPhone' topic and followed it up with 'iPad specs and apps might not yet be fixed'. So expect to see another tab appearing in iTunes shortly.

But if Apple should be a bit slow, an app developer will have something available within a week of launch - and then two months later someone like Marco Arment (http://www.marco.org) will release InstaPaper Pro which will address all your PDF needs in a more simple and succinct manner than you ever imagined.

bennyling
18th February 2010, 10:09 PM
Given the iPad is designed for consuming content (in particular, reading) I expect Apple to include some way for you to easily read your PDFs. Why? Because a lot of the 'in-the-know' pundits have addressed the 'iPad-comes-with-less-apps-than-iPhone' topic and followed it up with 'iPad specs and apps might not yet be fixed'. So expect to see another tab appearing in iTunes shortly.

iTunes already manages PDFs. Ever created a playlist of PDFs? Ever viewed PDFs using Cover Flow in iTunes?

El Guardo
18th February 2010, 10:59 PM
iTunes already manages PDFs.

There's a tab in iTunes for 'Documents' when you connect your iPhone or iPod Touch?

:eek:

Ever created a playlist of PDFs?

Nope.

Ever viewed PDFs using Cover Flow in iTunes?

Nope.

bennyling
18th February 2010, 11:32 PM
There's a tab in iTunes for 'Documents' when you connect your iPhone or iPod Touch?

There's not, no, but there's nothing stopping you from dragging a PDF into a playlist in iTunes...

It's just that no-one really knows about it, nor has anyone tried to do so.

Go on - TRY IT NOW! It'll be fun, I promise!

garybau
19th February 2010, 12:57 AM
A new iphone/touch APP is gallery for iphoto

so
put your pdf in an iphoto album which will auto sync to your mobileme gallery takes about 2 minutes to be available

also consider

if you have a word doc..or safari webpage
go to Print
as pdf to iphoto..
voila!
available as pdf on the gallery..and can be emailed to anyone as an attachment from the gallery APP

gallery was released about a week or two ago! with the iPad...

TheKeddi
19th February 2010, 06:43 AM
MM. the iTunes PDF thing didn't work for the magazines I get, it just opens it up in preview?

bennyling
19th February 2010, 09:22 AM
MM. the iTunes PDF thing didn't work for the magazines I get, it just opens it up in preview?

Yeah - it's for *managing* them, not opening them :p

Japester
19th February 2010, 02:16 PM
iTunes already manages PDFs. Ever created a playlist of PDFs? Ever viewed PDFs using Cover Flow in iTunes?

I just tested this. iTunes doesn't look in the file to provide a screenshot for album art. You see a blank page when you go into Cover Flow mode.

Only iTunes can use PDFs that are in iTunes. They're not available to other devices.

The initial idea was for digital booklets to accompany albums bought from the iTunes Store.

PCKid
21st February 2010, 08:58 AM
How about Filemagnet? They're updating there app at the moment to allow for the higher resolution of the iPad they told me.