PDA

View Full Version : How to network & stream Apple TV

UnderneathtTheRadar
17th February 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

On the verge of throwing out my home office Microsoft SBS server and buying a mac-mini in it's place. Still use windows laptops in the house but have 2 x iphones and an Apple TV.

I've also moved house and am waiting for internet with VOIP to be connected and don't yet have an ADSL2/VOIP modem. The house has big thick walls not well suited to wi-fi and other geographical challenges so this leaves me with 2 dillemas:
1. The mac mini won't be near the TV
2. One WIFI base station won't cover the house.

So, I need to pick up the following at least:
1. ADSL modem/router/VOIP adapter (either combined or separate)
2. External storage to replace that currently on the SBS

What I'd like to know please!
1. What value does Airport Extreme have over a combined (say Billion 7404) modem/router/VOIP access point.
2. If I do get an Airport, what VOIP adapter and modem should I get (any ADSL USB modem?)
3. Can I use the Apple TV to stream movies from the server (acting as an iTunes server) (using ethernet over power adapters already owned). Or should I just abandon the AppleTV and move the mini to next to the computer and extend the power over ethernet
4. If the household wifi coverage isn't enough with the Airport, must I have another Airport express? Or will another brand WAP do the trick?
5. External storage - firewire, usb or ethernet (NAS)?

I think that's it. I'd like to work towards a proper home media server with TV recording (eyeTV?) so would rather buy larger now and not run out of capacity in a month or three.

Thanks all

UTR.

Cheers for the advice.

Cybix
17th February 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi all,

On the verge of throwing out my home office Microsoft SBS server and buying a mac-mini in it's place. Still use windows laptops in the house but have 2 x iphones and an Apple TV.

I've also moved house and am waiting for internet with VOIP to be connected and don't yet have an ADSL2/VOIP modem. The house has big thick walls not well suited to wi-fi and other geographical challenges so this leaves me with 2 dillemas:
1. The mac mini won't be near the TV
2. One WIFI base station won't cover the house.

So, I need to pick up the following at least:
1. ADSL modem/router/VOIP adapter (either combined or separate)
2. External storage to replace that currently on the SBS

What I'd like to know please!
1. What value does Airport Extreme have over a combined (say Billion 7404) modem/router/VOIP access point.

time machine, print server, not much else.

2. If I do get an Airport, what VOIP adapter and modem should I get (any ADSL USB modem?)

whatever you want. The airport has nothing to do with VOIP

3. Can I use the Apple TV to stream movies from the server (acting as an iTunes server) (using ethernet over power adapters already owned). Or should I just abandon the AppleTV and move the mini to next to the computer and extend the power over ethernet

you could use iTunes, or you could patch your AppleTV, install a DLNA/uPnP server on the mac mini, and stream anything you like using XBMC or similar

4. If the household wifi coverage isn't enough with the Airport, must I have another Airport express? Or will another brand WAP do the trick?

Any brand AP. Airport works best with airport however.

5. External storage - firewire, usb or ethernet (NAS)?

I wouldn't waste my time with a mac mini, I'd buy a QNAP NAS (or similar), infact, that's what I did. Else. with Mac Mini, Firewire external storage wins, but any connection will be fine for streaming media

I think that's it. I'd like to work towards a proper home media server with TV recording (eyeTV?) so would rather buy larger now and not run out of capacity in a month or three.

Thanks all

UTR.

Cheers for the advice.

out of interest, Do you have a PS3 or XBOX 360?