PDA

View Full Version : Nexus One vs iPhone 3GS, 3D performance

marc
16th February 2010, 11:30 AM
Some pretty interesting results.

Starting up the test on both devices shows that the iPhone 3GS runs at 60 frames per second (fps) and the Nexus at between 30 to 35fps. As we add more woman models until we get to 8 models we see that the frame rate has dropped to 29fps on the iPhone and approx 21fps on the Nexus. Therefore, on the face of it, it seems the iPhone is 138% faster in this scene.

DD Tech-talk 1: Nexus versus iPhone 3GS Distinctive’s News Releases (http://distinctivegame.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/dd-tech-talk-1-nexus-versus-iphone-3gs/)

Didn't expect that, as the Nexus One's hardware is very quick. I guess this means the next iPhone will be hard to beat for games. I would love to see the same test done on an iPad, as the iPad's hardware remains a bit of a mystery.

bennyling
16th February 2010, 06:14 PM
Nice quote selection there - rest of you might want to read the full article ;)

A down-clocked 600Mhz compared to a 1Ghz, and yet the iPhone is still faster?

Who would've thunk it?

Makes you wonder how fast the next iPhone will be :D

marc
16th February 2010, 06:34 PM
Nice quote selection there - rest of you might want to read the full article ;)

Read it. iPhone still wins, probably due to hardware floating point support and other software differences.

A down-clocked 600Mhz compared to a 1Ghz, and yet the iPhone is still faster?

Who would've thunk it?

In all fairness, it's probably GPU speed that's being pushed more in the tests. The Snapdragon is supposed to contain a quick GPU though.

Meh. Who knows.

Makes you wonder how fast the next iPhone will be :D

With similar or quicker hardware to the Nexus One? Should be a screamer.

eaglesteve2
18th February 2010, 09:11 AM
I'm no complaint on the iPhone's speed department.

I still want a bigger screen with higher resolution from Apple though. I also want higher resolution pictures from the camera. These are the two areas I'm most dissatisfied with as far as hardware is concerned - enough to push me to Android if not addressed.

marc
18th February 2010, 10:03 AM
While I don't know for sure, I'd say Apple won't be changing the iPhone's resolution any time soon (due to the software and layout changes needed to support a new res). If they're going to do it, it'll be for a big jump, not just to match the Nexus One's res.

I don't think they need to either. The iPhone's display size and resolution is very decent.

eaglesteve2
23rd February 2010, 06:25 PM
the rsolution is adequate for most applications but grossly inadequate for Internet browsing in some languages such as in Chinese. Currently the only way to read some of those website is to go to landscape, turn on the max size fonts and to keep scrolling left and right to read each line. You never need to do that with HTC Leo.