PDA

View Full Version : Windoze 7 64 bit

Jaali
15th February 2010, 03:40 PM
Hey all,

I need to install Windoze on my MBP, and I have just noticed that the sales person has sold me the 64 bit version. Is this going to work with Virtual Box? I have a MBP 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

Thanks!

gameon
15th February 2010, 05:32 PM
hardware wise you should be fine, the core 2 duo is a 64 bit processor
so should handle windows 64 bit

are you running snow leopard?

Jaali
15th February 2010, 05:39 PM
Arrgghhh... this is really annoying. I have tried VirtualMachine and Bootcamp, and neither of them will read the Windows disc.

Any reason for this???

gehenna
15th February 2010, 05:41 PM
sounds like a bad disc more than a problem with your system

kungfucamel
15th February 2010, 05:42 PM
did boot camp assistant run and detect windows to install?

Jaali
15th February 2010, 06:33 PM
sounds like a bad disc more than a problem with your system

It's a brand new disc - fresh out of the shrink wrap.

did boot camp assistant run and detect windows to install?

No. Wouldn't even recognise there is a Windows disc

The_Hawk
15th February 2010, 06:42 PM

Sometimes there are just duds, joys of mass production.

gehenna
15th February 2010, 06:42 PM

That doesn't mean anything. There were a few bung Snow Leopard discs at release if I recall correctly. Just because it was new and sealed doesn't mean the disc isn't bad itself.

GraphicsMonkey
15th February 2010, 06:47 PM
I'm having the same problem.

Are you able to boot of the cd? (by pressing option before the chime during a reboot and selecting the CD image)

I can use this method to see my XP cd, but not the Windows 7 cd :(

dagaz
15th February 2010, 07:20 PM
There were a few bung Snow Leopard discs at release if I recall correctly.There were - I got one of them (replaced by Apple no questions asked so it must have been a known issue).

Jaali
15th February 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm having the same problem.

Are you able to boot of the cd? (by pressing option before the chime during a reboot and selecting the CD image)

I can use this method to see my XP cd, but not the Windows 7 cd :(

Nup - it won't recognise it. So I figure it's a dead disc, until I stuck it in the PC laptop, and it worked straight away.

Something is wrong here... any further ideas?

Jaali
15th February 2010, 08:38 PM
Do you think I'd be able to download an ISO soft version of it, and just use the legit licence?

GraphicsMonkey
15th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Not sure, but I have the same problem. Must be something to do with it being 64bit or something i feel?

anyone else have any suggestions?

LennyX
15th February 2010, 10:59 PM
Do you think I'd be able to download an ISO soft version of it, and just use the legit licence?

Yeah you should be able to. Just make sure it's the right version (ie Home/Professional/Ultimate). Whether it's 32 or 64 bit shouldn't matter the serial numbers are the same anyway.

glacierdave
16th February 2010, 06:56 AM
Be aware that Windows install keys are often locked to the class of license - i.e. an install key on a retail box version of Windows won't necessarily work with an OEM licensed version.

This is definitely the case with XP. I've also seen it with Vista but haven't yet seen it with Win 7.

Jaali
16th February 2010, 08:20 AM
Be aware that Windows install keys are often locked to the class of license - i.e. an install key on a retail box version of Windows won't necessarily work with an OEM licensed version.

This is definitely the case with XP. I've also seen it with Vista but haven't yet seen it with Win 7.

I reckon that's why. He's sold me an OEM version, not a retail version. For f%*k's sake!

wullieb1
16th February 2010, 08:23 AM
I reckon that's why. He's sold me an OEM version, not a retail version. For f%*k's sake!

That doesn't matter is the disk is broken.

An OEM version is the same as a retail version minus the packaging.

glacierdave
16th February 2010, 10:00 AM
OEM or retail won't matter in terms of the disc reading in the drive. It will only matter when it comes time to enter your install key.

Forgetting virtual machines and all the rest, if you just slap the disc in the drive can you access it in OS/X?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this - certainly has no trouble with the XP, Vista and Win7 discs I've used on my MBP anyway.

If nothing else, doing this test should help you figure out where the problem lies - if it doesn't work, you may actually have the beginnings of a hardware fault to do with your optical drive.

avolve
16th February 2010, 10:15 AM
A little OT...

Last night I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (over the 32 bit beta) on my 24" Al iMac only to find out that bootcamp would not install as 64 bit was not supported on my machine...

Nice waste of a few hours!

Jaali
16th February 2010, 10:36 AM
Forgetting virtual machines and all the rest, if you just slap the disc in the drive can you access it in OS/X?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this - certainly has no trouble with the XP, Vista and Win7 discs I've used on my MBP anyway.

If nothing else, doing this test should help you figure out where the problem lies - if it doesn't work, you may actually have the beginnings of a hardware fault to do with your optical drive.

It won't read the disc at all... so are we now thinking it's my drive?

A little OT...

Last night I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (over the 32 bit beta) on my 24" Al iMac only to find out that bootcamp would not install as 64 bit was not supported on my machine...

Nice waste of a few hours!

Great! Does this mean it won't work on my MBP either!?!

glacierdave
16th February 2010, 11:08 AM
It won't read the disc at all... so are we now thinking it's my drive?

Too soon to tell, it's just one step in a diagnostic process.

Do you have another disc handy that you know is working? Try that in the same drive and see if it works.

If it doesn't, it looks more like the drive. If it does, it might be drive vs. disc incompatibility issues (which do happen from time to time).

Not at all.

FWIW, I run Parallels (now v5 but v4 before that) and have virtual XP, Vista and Windows 7 Pro all running just fine. The Win 7 Pro is 64 bit.

I'm using Win7 as my daily use Windows VM and it's handling everything I need (QuickBooks, MS Office) without any problems.

Jaali
16th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Has anyone successfully installed an OEM version of Windows 7 using Bootcamp or VirtualBox; or should I be taking this disc back to where I bought it?!

glacierdave
16th February 2010, 02:50 PM
I've successfully done it with Parallels and Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro 5,4.

That is, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM version - loaded in Bootcamp (since removed, worked fine but didn't suit my needs) and in Parallels (works fine, still using it).

I haven't used VirtualBox and haven't really looked at it's system requirements so I can't comment on how well (or not) it'd work.

Jaali
16th February 2010, 02:55 PM
Cool - so the fact that it is OEM and not a Retail version shouldn't matter?

Jaali
16th February 2010, 03:00 PM
When I put the disc in, you can hear it try to read the disc for about a minute, then it spits it back out again.

I have tried other discs I have, and they work fine.

Jaali
16th February 2010, 03:15 PM
So after a little troubleshooting, it looks like my drive will read CD-ROM's, but not DVD's. Looks like a trip to the Apple Store is in order.

glacierdave
16th February 2010, 03:49 PM
That would do it, Win7 is supplied on a DVD. In terms of use, OEM and retail are license agreements.

An OEM license (OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer) is intended for use by someone building a computer. The license to use Windows is tied directly to the hardware on that computer and, by the terms of the license, isn't transferable to another computer. This is a terms of license limitation rather than a limitation of Windows.

A retail license isn't tied directly to one set of hardware and can be re-used if you move to another computer.

Generally speaking, an OEM license is far cheaper than a retail license.

Oh, an OEM license for Windows also confers no free support rights from Microsoft. OEM licensed software is supported by the OEM/Manufacturer (you, in this case). Retail software offers some level of free support if you run into problems.

GraphicsMonkey
25th February 2010, 11:18 AM
Did you get this problem fixed Jaali ?

I ended up following this (http://ckdake.com/content/2009/windows-7-64-bit-on-a-macbook-pro.html) and after that it was smooth sailing.

avolve
25th February 2010, 11:54 AM

To clarify my original post, I installed 64 bit over an existing 32 bit RC install. It worked fine, and I installed drivers manually (for reasons to follow).

The issue was installing the bootcamp assistant (or whatever it is called) that runs in the system tray in windows. It would not install on the 64 bit version the message indicated the hardware was not supported (a firmware issue i assume?)

I could have probably worked around it somehow, though went back to the 32 bit version as I do not want the hassle...

I still have some keyboard quirks. For example, shift+2 produces " instead of @ whereas shift ' produced @ instead of ". I can also not use the ~ key. Anyone have a workaround/solution for these keyboard niggles?

glacierdave
25th February 2010, 03:16 PM
I still have some keyboard quirks. For example, shift+2 produces " instead of @ whereas shift ' produced @ instead of ". I can also not use the ~ key. Anyone have a workaround/solution for these keyboard niggles?

Sounds like keyboard mappings. I've seen this sort of thing when the wrong regional settings are used - remaps a variety of keys for other languages.

avolve
27th February 2010, 10:30 AM
Sounds like keyboard mappings. I've seen this sort of thing when the wrong regional settings are used - remaps a variety of keys for other languages.

My keyboard is set as English UK from memory.

glacierdave
27th February 2010, 10:50 AM
Try setting English (Australia) instead. If that doesn't fix it then there's something else going on.

Jaali
28th February 2010, 09:37 AM
Did you get this problem fixed Jaali ?

Yeah, all fixed. It was simply the optical drive was dead. The Apple Shop replaced it for me, and the install was really easy.