PDA

View Full Version : Blog post about iPad as a "third place" computer/design interface

jhans11
12th February 2010, 09:04 PM
An interesting article on the design interface and possible use of the ipad.

I don't agree with everything stated however I do think the bookstore interface is mildly appalling with the wooden bookshelf not matching any of the other applications Apple has developed for the device.

cityofsound: For the life between buildings - some notes on the iPad (http://www.cityofsound.com/blog/2010/02/a-machine-for-the-life-between-buildings-some-notes-on-the-ipad.html#more)

Aladdin
12th February 2010, 09:39 PM
When I first saw the bookshelf, it reminded me of the free iPhone app 'Classics'.

matthew858
12th February 2010, 10:26 PM
Well if you had a 10" screen and had to display books, what would you do? The wooden feel is exactly the logical choice, nothing else fits. Although the interface does remind me of Classics, sticking books on a wooden book shelf isn't exactly copyright.

jhans11
12th February 2010, 10:43 PM
I guess I would prefer an interface similar to iTunes - book covers displayed in front of a plain background. The bookshelf seems an unnecessary visual metaphor for the application. But I haven't used the device and my opinion may change once I play with the iPad. I am downloading Classics for the iPhone at this moment to try as it does indeed look very similar to the iPad application (I currently use Stanza). Either way the primary reason I am looking forward to this device is as a book reader as it really does seem perfect for this function either through Apple's native application or a third party one.

dodo
21st February 2010, 10:17 AM
The iPad UI guidelines state that iPad apps should look like real-world objects, like the iBook app, the Contacts app and the Calendar app.