PDA

View Full Version : Sync-ing apps from iPhone to iPad through iTunes

dory_1982
12th February 2010, 04:20 PM
Hopefully this doesn't sound like a dumb question... but if it is possible to sync your iphone apps to your new ipad, what of the original apps on the iphone??

For example, I'll use the ipad and give the iphone to the missus. Will she get a blank iphone since the apps cannot remain on the iphone after I sync them to the ipad?

If they remain on the iphone this essentially is duplicating them. I would think someone would want ppl in this scenario to have to purchase the apps again if they wanted to keep using them, like in my case.

And what about afterwards IE if I get an app for $10 could I sync it between both devices? When we purchase an app, are you paying for it to use for any device you sync with your own itunes instance (and all devices are included)... or just one device?

all these thoughts in my head :-)

Cybix
12th February 2010, 04:30 PM
I'd say if the iPhone and iPad are both syncing on the same Mac/PC, then both devices could use those apps. I could be wrong

marc
12th February 2010, 06:03 PM
I'd say if the iPhone and iPad are both syncing on the same Mac/PC, then both devices could use those apps.
That's my understanding too.

dagaz
12th February 2010, 06:33 PM
I'd say as long as the iPad and the iPhone are both linked to the same iTunes account it shouldn't matter. My missus and I have an iPhone each that are synced to two separate accounts on two different MacBooks. We can easily transfer apps between the two via iTunes (both attached to the one iTunes account).

Cybix
12th February 2010, 08:01 PM
plus they (apple) are promoting that the iPad will run most of your existing iPhone apps. This leads me to believe I can load up the ones I already own on to the device.

Personally doubt I will load many existing apps. I don't like the double-pixel crap... might change my mind when it's in my hands though

reemixx
12th February 2010, 08:01 PM
dagaz is correct. The apps you have access to depends solely on your iTunes accounts (and you can have more than one per iTunes library - I have apps from multiple accounts on my iPhone). This is how it currently works with the iPhone and iPod Touch. There's no reason to think the iPad will be any different.

dory_1982
13th February 2010, 06:51 AM
Personally doubt I will load many existing apps. I don't like the double-pixel crap... might change my mind when it's in my hands though

I've started culling a number of apps from my iphone. I wonder if many apps will be re-released to be more ipad friendly (screen and functionality reasons)...