PDA

View Full Version : Macbook or Macbook Pro

Dmac88
12th February 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi, long time reader, new poster. I've been a Mac user for around 3 years now, and I must say I love them and will never go back to Windows again!

I am helping my parents and sister buy a new computer. My perents use computers for email, internet, photos, and the odd game of Solitare. Whereas my sister uses it for Uni, for all of the above but also for creating music. She intends on using GarageBand, but also wants to record musical instuaments to the computer? Will a Macbook do? Or would she need a Macbook Pro or even an iMac?

She is no hardcore music production person, more of a hobby than anything.

You help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Remy
12th February 2010, 06:27 PM
Hi there :)

In my opinion, a simple white MacBook will be able to do all these tasks competently. If she only plans on (in terms of music production) using it for Garageband, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

gameon
12th February 2010, 09:24 PM
yea white macbook will be fine for your sister, i would prob bump the ram to 4gb though

garageband can be a bit of a memory hog

dekco
13th February 2010, 02:28 AM
I would /personally be interested in getting alu. Somehow i do not trust plastic, to be honest my first reason to switch to mac was the hardware (alu mbp - pre unibody)

GeoffComma
13th February 2010, 07:37 PM
I run Logic Pro with 24+ Tracks on 2GHz/2GB White Macbook 2007. Trust me, you don't need loads of power for recording music. People do basic home recording on P3 800's with 1GB Ram.

avolve
13th February 2010, 07:45 PM
I would /personally be interested in getting alu. Somehow i do not trust plastic, to be honest my first reason to switch to mac was the hardware (alu mbp - pre unibody)

I went from a TI Powerbook to an iBook because of the plastic body. The iBooks were pretty close to bombproof.

There were/are some issues with the previous gen white (and black) MacBooks, yet do not assume that al plastic models are inferior based on that...

dekco
13th February 2010, 11:06 PM
...yet do not assume that al plastic models are inferior based on that...

i hope that wasnt the feeling my post 'projected'. plastic models seem to be great for normal use, but if the person is abit 'rough', then alu will be a better choice (alu being tougher than plastic).

luztra
14th February 2010, 12:55 AM
I prefer the aluminium body to the white macbook. I just ordered my mum and macbook pro a couple of days ago. She liked the look of the white macbook (and that would of suited her fine - email, web browsing...) but both my sister and I recommended the macbook pro as we know she will keep it for a long time and it is less susceptible to scratches.

~Coxy
15th February 2010, 11:02 AM
i hope that wasnt the feeling my post 'projected'. plastic models seem to be great for normal use, but if the person is abit 'rough', then alu will be a better choice (alu being tougher than plastic).

Other way around. The Alumnium will dent and scratch, but the plastic will hold up OK.