PDA

View Full Version : There are only a few things that get under my hat and here's one of them

Mac Monk
12th February 2010, 07:26 AM
A really cheap anti-apple article in the SMH:-

Virtual teardown reveals great iPad rip-off (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/virtual-teardown-reveals-great-ipad-ripoff-20100212-nvhy.html)

What piss poor journalism!!!

It would be like saying what a rip off CD's were because they were selling them for $29.99 but they only cost $1 to produce.

Two words dick head 'Intellectual Property'.

Interesting how this article is not open for comments.

ClockWork
12th February 2010, 07:34 AM
Journalism consists in buying paper at 2 cents per 10 kilos and selling it for 50 cents per page.

Byrd
12th February 2010, 08:03 AM
It's an outrage, I tells ya - don't tell me Apple make a profit on items sold? What a piece of crap.

JB

bartron
12th February 2010, 08:18 AM
For arguments sake, let's say Apple can the iPad line and decide not to make it.

That iPad that Steve was holding and the handful available for people to look at after would have cost several million dollars each...the manufacturing cost of ~$250 would be but one small component of that.

Stuff doesn't invent itself for free and the SMH article is flamebait.

Lutze
12th February 2010, 08:23 AM
I said it yesterday in the News article on our own front page:

Retail Price - Cost to Build Price does not = Profit.

R&D, Support, Documentation, Marketing, Training and packaging make up a heap of money. I've not clicked the link because it's simply linkbait - hey lets anger the Apple fans as they are nice and vocal and get an extra 20,000 clicks today.

Piss poor journalism. Something I've grown to expect from the likes of Asher Moses recently.

ClockWork
12th February 2010, 08:30 AM
It's an outrage, I tells ya - don't tell me Apple make a profit on items sold? What a piece of crap.

And especially not on the RAM for it is only we rare few who know that Apple's DIMMs are mint surgically slid out of the virgin asses of newly born psirens.

dolbinau
12th February 2010, 08:38 AM
Journalism consists in buying paper at 2 cents per 10 kilos and selling it for 50 cents per page.

Mmm, or

Photoshop DVD cost 10c to make and they sell for $700 WHAT A RIP OFF

gehenna
12th February 2010, 09:26 AM
Mmm, or

Photoshop DVD cost 10c to make and they sell for $700 WHAT A RIP OFF

You're not paying for the media, you're paying for the teams of developers that put years of their lives into planning, coding, testing, correcting, testing, correcting, enhancing, coding, and THEN the 10c for the media.

OziMac
12th February 2010, 09:55 AM
Piss poor journalism. Something I've grown to expect from the likes of Asher Moses recently.

Easy there, can't see how this is Asher Moses (or the 'likes') fault - it's a Reuters article, which itself isn't too judgmental. Blame the Fairfax sub-editors who love sensationalising their headlines - I've seen the journos themselves complain about it.

Lutze
12th February 2010, 10:22 AM
Easy there, can't see how this is Asher Moses (or the 'likes') fault - it's a Reuters article, which itself isn't too judgmental. Blame the Fairfax sub-editors who love sensationalising their headlines - I've seen the journos themselves complain about it.

Hey, if he's allowed his opinion then I'm allowed mine. His recent articles have taken cheap shots at my favourite fruit company and linked things together with threads so thin and bendy that I'd say it was spider silk - except it's not as strong as spit.

ClockWork
12th February 2010, 10:24 AM
and THEN the 10c for the media.

Which is painstakingly hand chiseled line by line and track by track, by an ancient tribe of Tibetan Balinese Sword Masters.

Blame the Fairfax sub-editors who love sensationalising their headlines - I've seen the journos themselves complain about it.

Gotta eat. Think of the children!
Journalists are qualified to violate any subject for personal gain and then claim with a straight face that the public has a right to know.

And why should we complain?
After all, we're paying them.

;)

Vojtin
12th February 2010, 10:59 AM
You're not paying for the media, you're paying for the teams of developers that put years of their lives into planning, coding, testing, correcting, testing, correcting, enhancing, coding, and THEN the 10c for the media.
Apple does not have the teams of developers and years of their lives into plannig etc.?

soulman
12th February 2010, 11:18 AM
it's a Reuters article, which itself isn't too judgmental.No, but they're reporting nothing basically - some bunch of publicity seekers "calculate" the value of the components in an iPad when they haven't even seen one. It's not news and it doesn't belong in any respectable paper, news site or agency.

reemixx
12th February 2010, 11:18 AM
The iPad is one of the most affordable products Apple has ever released, in terms of cost vs functionality. I'm sure the article could be applied to practically ALL of Apple's products, if you were really set on taking that angle (stupidly). Seems pretty pathetic to pick on the one device that's actually reasonably cheap in Apple's product line-up.

There's the Truth. And then there's Bending the Truth Until it's an Ugly Twisted Knot of a Thing. And, sadly, a lot of people believe everything they read.

S'ok, though. The one thing that will prove all these idiots wrong is the sales numbers.

Japester
12th February 2010, 11:25 AM
No-one seems to have mentioned the fact that they tore down a device that they didn't have. Douches. Can't wait to hear what the Angry Mac Bastards (http://angrymacbastards.blogspot.com/) say about this.

dolbinau
12th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Apple does not have the teams of developers and years of their lives into plannig etc.?

Yes, I think we are all on the same 'side' here. (At least, I hope GEHENNA knew I was just making another analogy).

6andy6
12th February 2010, 09:57 PM
No, but they're reporting nothing basically - some bunch of publicity seekers "calculate" the value of the components in an iPad when they haven't even seen one. It's not news and it doesn't belong in any respectable paper, news site or agency.

No true....but then neither have you or the dozens of others trumpeting how great it is without using it based upon the developer and his own pr event saying how good it is...:D;)

dolbinau
13th February 2010, 07:55 AM
No true....but then neither have you or the dozens of others trumpeting how great it is without using it based upon the developer and his own pr event saying how good it is...:D;)

They are still basing opinions on information that is apparently/confirmed to be true.

6andy6
13th February 2010, 10:18 AM
They are still basing opinions on information that is apparently/confirmed to be true.

And the journalist in question isn't????

Those parts either cost that price or they don't (I haven't seen anyone dispute the component pricing yet) so therefore the journalists conclusions ARE partially correct. What they just failed to do is extend the costing to include the variables or other than hardware costing.

Both parties are basing opinions on information others have told them without seeing the thing. The fanboys (and girls) of the Ipad on the information release by the manufacturer which by its nature will only ever be positive (bit like believing everything the Labor or Liberal party saying as gospel) and the journalist because they have only looked at 50% of the arguement.

decryption
13th February 2010, 10:25 AM
And the journalist in question isn't????

Those parts either cost that price or they don't (I haven't seen anyone dispute the component pricing yet) so therefore the journalists conclusions ARE partially correct. What they just failed to do is extend the costing to include the variables or other than hardware costing.

Both parties are basing opinions on information others have told them without seeing the thing. The fanboys (and girls) of the Ipad on the information release by the manufacturer which by its nature will only ever be positive (bit like believing everything the Labor or Liberal party saying as gospel) and the journalist because they have only looked at 50% of the arguement.

How does the company who wrote that price listing know what is in an iPad? They don't even have one to open up and take a look inside.

dolbinau
14th February 2010, 02:32 PM
How does the company who wrote that price listing know what is in an iPad? They don't even have one to open up and take a look inside.

Exactly :).

Bogus Jimmy
14th February 2010, 04:56 PM

They've used the spec sheet to guess the components then estimate the costs. Basically they've done a whole lot of pulling shit out of their asses.

Even if accurate, it doesn't include:

Software development
Hardware R&D
Shipping/logistics
Packaging/included accessories
Warranty support costs
Et al

I would've guessed somewhere around that but taking into consideration all of the above, I reckon it's still a damn good deal.