PDA

View Full Version : Os 9 Wont Install On My Machine

W2ttsy
19th August 2005, 11:04 PM
hey all,

i have a gigabit ethernet machine that can normally install os 9 (not one of the new uninstallable machines). but no matter how many different variants of OS 9 i use, i can not get it to boot. i have tried using 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.2 and even 8.6 out of desperation.

i only need it to install two firmware patches so i can make use of my new upgrade card (thanks Rob), so temperary solutions are cool with me.

when booting off the CD, the machine will skip CD booting and launch straight into any varient of X that happens to be on my machine. if there is no varient, then i just get a flashing ? in the folder icon.
after faking an install by dragging a backed up os 9 system folder onto a blank partition, i get nothing but a flashing icon at start up (cant find a valid system folder!).

im running tiger 10.4.2 and in some sort of desperation 10.2 as well on my machines, and im wondering if the X installs are now preventing the bootloader from recognising my boot CDs.

i did manage to get one CD to get past the flashing icon, but it results in a system bomb before anything can really boot. so im chalking that down to a bad CD.

does anyone have any tricks for forcing the machine to get to the CD? i have tried holding down C, tried forcing it in the start up disk preferences, and i cant hold down option, because the special key bindings my keyboard (microsoft one) dont take effect until the finder has loaded up.

help is appreciated.

W2ttsy

Johnny Appleseed
20th August 2005, 01:10 AM
One of the drawbacks of Mac OS X is that you can only boot from CDs containing a later version of the OS than the one you have installed. According to this article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh763.html) you could try installing from the Mac OS X "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disc. (If Tiger doesn't have it you might try Panther or Jaguar)

AusMac
20th August 2005, 02:54 AM
Forgive me W2ttsy(Wattsy) for wanting to go back through.. but I need to know that if your computer is a OS 9 bootable version.. Then why was not OS 9 installed .. for use by Classic?
If so.. why didn't you copy the original OS 9 System folder?
Have you got MacsBug installed?
Diskwarrior?
Conflict Catcher?
Well if you have no option key then you have a serious problem.
Did you try booting into OS 9 with the space bar held down?
Can you attach a Mac friendly keyboard?

W2ttsy
20th August 2005, 01:57 PM
hey AusMac.

im running a gigabit G4 (400Mhz) and it supports Mac OS 8.6 thru to tiger. i ditched classic when i installed jaguar when i got it. since then ive never had a need for it until now when i need to upgrade the firmware.

im not running any of the software you suggested, and have maintained an X only system for about 3 years now with no problems.

im beginning to think it may be my os 9 CD. as after disconnecting my X drive, i still cant get it to boot from CD. so ill borrow a CD from my mate today and see how it goes and ill try to nab his keyboard while im at it...

W2ttsy

mivory
20th August 2005, 03:15 PM
It will need to be os9.1 or later. Not on your osX install disc 2 (additional software cd)?

AusMac
20th August 2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah that's what I meant.. You tossed Classic .. and thus your boot sector for Mac OS 9

You need to reinstall from the original install disc.

W2ttsy
20th August 2005, 04:31 PM
thanks AusMac.

when formatting a fresh drive ( i have a spare i can install onto) what file system should i be using. i would have thought that HFS+ would work? or has apple tweaked the HFS+ file system specifically for OS X now that os 9 has no support?

and ive managed to locate an apple keyboard which ill try...

W2ttsy

AusMac
20th August 2005, 04:33 PM
HFS+ is fine