PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Track Pad

felixPRO
10th February 2010, 09:24 PM
my track pad has become unresponsive and jumping around on its own. what could be the cause of this and what can i do to fix it(would like to not have to replace the trackpad if possible.)

ClockWork
10th February 2010, 09:31 PM
Do you have a Mouse connected to your MBP also?

Go to System Preferences and click on: Keyboard & Mouse, and check if the Trackpad speed setting is set to Maximum, as this can also cause jittering motion.

felixPRO
10th February 2010, 09:49 PM
no second mouse.

tracking speed is on half.

and it seems to come in and out. sometimes it works really well. other times i cant move the cursor no matter what i do.

ClockWork
10th February 2010, 10:32 PM
Okay - is it more prone to occur if the MBP is unplugged from its power source and running on its battery?

felixPRO
10th February 2010, 11:24 PM
doesnt make a difference. it just stopped working so i unplugged the power and ran my finger on it for 5 mins and it didnt get better.

ClockWork
10th February 2010, 11:35 PM
It's definitely a Hardware failure.

What is the Machine ID of your MBP?

You can find out by clicking once on the top-right Apple menu and scrolling down to: About This Mac.

In the About This Mac window, click once on its bottom More Info... button.
This will open your System Profiler. In the System Profiler, look to the right hand side of the panel for the information under: Hardware Overview:

Next to Machine Model - or it might be Machine ID - what does it say?

eg: Something like: MacBookPro5,5

felixPRO
10th February 2010, 11:57 PM
shit, i dont like hardware failure.

MacBookPro5,5

ClockWork
11th February 2010, 12:10 AM
No one does - however your MacBookPro ID: MacBookPro5,5 tells me its a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.26GHz released in Mid-2009, which means you still have its initial 1 Year of Warranty on it, and can get that fixed for free.

Would be worthwhile purchasing, if you haven't already done so, the APP (AppleCare Protection Plan) - see here (http://www.apple.com/au/support/products/) - to cover you two more years of possible Hardware failure, right before that initial 1 Year expires.

One never knows.

The point is though, you're still covered for a free Hardware replacement at any Apple Service Centre.

felixPRO
11th February 2010, 06:22 AM
can i take it to a reseller? cause the macstore in melbourne is in chadstone. bloody pain to get too.

ClockWork
11th February 2010, 06:31 AM
I suppose you can - they'll send it to a Service Centre, so it might take longer. Ring 'em at 9:00 am.

felixPRO
11th February 2010, 12:47 PM
Chadstone here i come. Thanks duder.

leon
11th February 2010, 01:48 PM
Before taking it in, have you tried setting up another user account and seeing if it still happens?

Also and SMC reset could help cure it.
Holding your palm on the trackpad for 30 seconds is supposed to reset it as well.

Byrd
11th February 2010, 02:11 PM
... or give it a wipe down :) Residue etc. can cause the cursor to become very erratic too.

JB

felixPRO
13th February 2010, 08:21 AM
leon : whats a SMC reset?

Byrd : i wipe it often with the cloth supplied regularly. would you recommend using a damp cloth or maybe some detergent?