PDA

View Full Version : Is 16GB going to be enough?

PCKid
10th February 2010, 08:25 PM
I have an iPhone 3GS 16GB. Before that over 3 years iPod Touches 16GB. That was always enough for me. 40 or 50 albums, a couple of seasons of the Family Guy, 300 odd photos, some comics 20 odd games, 5 or 6 movies. Rarely used more than half. But I see the new stuff being much bigger. Typically a movie will be about 800mb, a magazine in pdf probably around 70 mb, TV shows 400 mb an episode. Apps (anyone's guess). So who thinks they will need 32mb or more and why? My worry is the Aus price is going to be pretty high. I kinda favour the 32mb wifi. I don't really need 3G I can use my iPhone for that unless Telstra would bundle the data for both. Hopefully they won't thrash us for them. $599 US..... maybe $749 AUS?? The wait is killing me. At least the yanks don't have them yet either.

Byrd
10th February 2010, 08:56 PM
The operating system will probably be a few GB, so needless to say - if you can afford the extra 16GB, it will be worth it for your needs.

JB

Ecto1
10th February 2010, 09:06 PM
When I got the 16GB iPhone I thought that would be enough. Long story short go 32GB you wont be sorry.

skritter
10th February 2010, 11:04 PM
Heck, just get the 64GB and be done with it.

gareth
11th February 2010, 12:59 AM
NO,I cant believe apple made a 16GB ipad.

TheKeddi
11th February 2010, 02:27 AM
I'm going the 64gig wi-fi model from the start.

Might aswell get the biggest first. :-)

6andy6
11th February 2010, 09:01 PM
no 16GB is far 2 small for an entertainment machine!!!!

I have the larger of the iphone and with 2 movies, a series of Dr Who (13 episodes about 480mb each), about 6 other short movies (arnd 280mb each wink wink) about 1000 photos, maybe about 300 songs and a raft of apps, I have minimal amount of space left.

So no - 16 gb doesnt wet my whistle one bit. Infact I would expect the 16gb was only introduce so Apple could have a 'cheap' entry model to launch and may well disappear within a year or so.

zaca
11th February 2010, 09:14 PM
Im thinking of the original 4GB iPhone...killed in 2 months...

meh, i dont need more than 16GB. Lets just say I have 11GB free on my 16GB iPhone...

reemixx
11th February 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm going for the lowest model, 16GB WiFi.

...Why?

It will mostly be used at home; in bed, on the couch, etc. So I can stream all of my video from my iMac to the iPad with something like Air Video once they've released an iPad version (they're planning to, plus it will play any file type as all the decoding is done on the computer. The current iPhone version works a treat).

I already have the iPhone for portable music, don't need another device for that.

If I travel with the iPad, 16GB should be enough for syncing all the video I need. Everything else (books, apps, documents, a few photos, whatever) won't even touch the 16 gigs. Haven't had a problem with media management on my 16GB iPhone thus far.

By all means, if you plan on storing a lot of media on the iPad, storage space definitely counts. The bigger the better. But for my uses - just simple web browsing, video streaming, and note taking - 16GB will be plenty.

ozerus
11th February 2010, 09:51 PM
hmm I been thinking a bit about what I'm going to need space wise.

Looking at my iphone a 16gb model, 10 gig is taken up by my music, 2 gig is video, 200mbs is video and about 2.6gb free

assuming that iPad apps will be bigger and it's possible I"ll have more of'em I think I'll still end up being under 1gb for apps, I don't really need music on it though, my iPhone follows me everywhere anyway which holds my music.

so it'll be video, apps, books

I'm kinda unsure of the 16 or 30 odd gb version now, I'll be getting the 3G, but nw I"m just confuzzled heh I was originally considering the 34/32 what ever it is, but now I'm thinking that the 16 might be all that's needed.

brian_g
11th February 2010, 09:54 PM
Talking to Bill Gates the other day, he told me 64gb should be enough for anyone.

Phunky
11th February 2010, 10:00 PM
For those planning on 'streaming', so is this done with a third party app? If so, isnt it going to be limiting that the app needs to be running and you cant do anything else while it is streaming, like say browsing the web, reading email or chatting on msn because the ipad doesnt have background apps?

ozerus
11th February 2010, 10:10 PM
I'm assuming it'll be the same as it is on the iPhone, I stream movies from my NAS to the iphone using the native iPhone quicktime or what ever it is.

It doesn't do resume however you can scrub pretty easily and just move the scrubber to the point you and and it'll begin loading from that point on.

iPhone video player is pretty good and simple and movies load pretty fast over the network or fast enough to play a movie in iPhone format smoothly

Aladdin
11th February 2010, 10:18 PM
I suspect the iPad will be more conducive to watching video due to the much larger screen (iPhone screen too small), and this will increase storage requirements significantly.

reemixx
11th February 2010, 10:27 PM
For those planning on 'streaming', so is this done with a third party app? If so, isnt it going to be limiting that the app needs to be running and you cant do anything else while it is streaming, like say browsing the web, reading email or chatting on msn because the ipad doesnt have background apps?

How is streaming video any different to any other task? The iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad can't multitask full stop. The limitation isn't just placed upon movie streaming.

Check out Air Video (http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html) for the iPhone. It's currently the best video streaming software I've found. The developers have stated that they'll be making an iPad version, and I'm guessing it will work much the same way. So, it should support resuming just like the iPhone video player (even when using the Live Conversion feature). Hence, no need for the ability to multi-task.

Mychael
13th February 2010, 10:55 AM
16gig. Enough for us. On the iphone.
Again it's a generational thing, we cannot see the point of bothering to watch movies or anything really huge on the phones screen.
Have about 70apps, some mpeg's and roughly 3 days of music, heaps of space to spare.
Having said that I think it's only about another $168 more on an optus plan to get a 32gig phone as opposed to the 16gig.

In the context of an ipad however I reckon you want to get as much space as you could afford.

The_Hawk
13th February 2010, 11:59 AM
Much like the iPhone I suspect the answer will depend on how you plan on using it.

For me the 16GB iPhone was always full, the 32GB unit is mostly half full ;)

Since I have the iPhone as a tethered modem on my desk at work connected to my MBP, it just resyncs and dumps the content I have watched and grabs the content I'm yet to watch... Great for all the video.
Podcasts just give me the last 5.
Music is managed through playlists, but is mostly static... I have toyed with automagic play lists to pull content I haven't listened to in a while, this would cause me to cycle through all my music, which isn't a bad thing ;)

melbmac
13th February 2010, 12:06 PM
16gb is ample for me on the iPhone, I don't keep much media on there, and I don't understand why people feel the need to have their entire podcast, music, tv and movie collection in their pocket. Watch and or listen to it, then remove it.

That said, I think I'll go for the 32gb iPad (if I go for one at all) because it's going to be used as a travel gizmo (backing up photos being my main storage concern).