PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Bezel macbookpro

ma5bookpro
10th February 2010, 08:12 PM
My 2 year old macbook pro developed cracks on the bezel either side of the bottom of the screen. I was in regular contact with AppleCare, asking if it was cosmetic or structural damage. They noted the problem, and when it got worse they suggested I go to a preferred Apple repair shop, who decided it was "accidental damage", as did Apple, despite the recorded incremental history of the problem.
The cracks have formed a "hinge" which has damaged the bezel further, and popped off the metal case in the left corner. I can tell you that in "Apple speak" an "escalation" of your complaint does nothing to resolve things.
I have household insurance for accidental damage to my computer, so when Apple told me their engineering department had concluded it was accidental damage and not covered by warranty , I asked for that report and decision in writing, (an email) so I could make an insurance claim. Apple refused. So they won't honor their warranty, they wont document their findings and they wont put their decision in writing. How do you deal with this? I found this thread:Apple - Support - Discussions - Bezel Cracked ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2097403&tstart=0) so it seems it is not an isolated incident.

Yabada
15th February 2010, 01:17 PM
I have the same problem with the cracked bezel on one side of my MBP. I took it to the Apple Store and they basically say that it was caused by me and won't repair it. They apple store "genius" said that she had never seen this before. Now, I see that there are a lot of people that have had this problem.

I hate the apple store people and I hate getting lectured by them. I also had two batteries swell on me. The idiot asked me if I leave my MBP plugged in all the time which I said yes (although I do cycle the battery, i.e., run it all the way down and recharge it, about every month) and she proceeded to tell me how my batteries would go bad. So, I had to tell her that I cycle the battery but besides that I leave it plugged in usually (unless I'm traveling or out). She also asked me if I leave the computer on a flat surface. Where am I supposed to leave it? On my lap and get burned??

I have also have dead pixels which have increased over time. Now, they don't want to cover that because of the cracked bezel. What I found out is that on this model MacBookPro2,1 the clam shell is one part (they won't just replace, for example, the bezel or the LCD or whatever; it's all one part to them). So, they're trying to tell me that because of the bezel they won't cover the pixels even though I am still covered under AppleCare.

Unbelievable. I'm going to try to take it up with them on the phone and if I can't get it resolved I'll take them to small claims court.

ma5bookpro
16th February 2010, 06:33 PM
Apple wouldn't tell me their physical Corporate address in Australia (citing security reasons!) which is requisite information to lodge court documents at my small claims tribunal, Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal. I purchased a Company Extract from ASIC and lodged my claim. I have done some research, and apart from the AppleCare cover, consumers in Australia are covered by a statutory warranty, Your statutory rights (http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815360) that is linked to the expected life span and performance of the product and exceeds, without additional payment, the usual warranty period.

~Coxy
17th February 2010, 10:39 AM
Good on you, mate. I hope it all works out in the end - keep us updated.

Out of interest, how much did it cost to lodge a small claims case?

dekco
17th February 2010, 12:25 PM
not very much if you are on concession (commonwealth health care card, or similar); otherwise its usually about $80-$100 depending on your state. Also you need a business extract (~$15).

ma5bookpro
17th February 2010, 02:22 PM
The Company extract at ASIC http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/ASIC.NSF/byHeadline/Contacting us#offices was $12, and the VCAT costs for lodgement of a claim- Fees-Forms-Brochures - Fees (http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/CA256DBB0022825D/page/Fees-Forms-Brochures-Fees?OpenDocument&1=15-Fees-Forms-Brochures~&2=10-Fees~&3=~#Civil Disputes-Small Claims) are around $36. I'm not aware of a concession rate for the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal. However, it has cost me less than $50 to be granted a hearing, including some face time with a Legal Aid solicitor, (he said I had a good case and was well prepared) and in terms of accountability, I say, money well spent.
As I said to Apple management, either the Tribunal accepts Apple's assessment that it is accidental damage, (in which case I get copies of that documentation and a Tribunal determination that allows me to make an insurance claim) or it upholds my warranty claim.*
I've been quoted about $1600 for the repair, (as previous posts discuss, for this problem in the USA, the bezel is replaced; in Australia, the entire clamshell is replaced).

*Whilst initially Apple said it was accidental damage, they later changed it to: "it was caused by over-extending the lid". Not sure how this works as the lid was in a hard plastic shell cover that stiffened the whole top and prevented flexing.

ma5bookpro
26th February 2010, 01:23 PM
Happy to announce that Apple has reconsidered, (I'm writing this on the repaired macbookpro). They have covered the cost of parts and I have paid a small labour charge. Very happy with that outcome, and recommend to anyone with warranty problems that they initiate a small claims hearing. It does seem to facilitate a resolution.

grfxninja
26th February 2010, 01:53 PM
nice work! :thumbup: