PDA

View Full Version : Specific iPad data pack from Telcos?

troyn
10th February 2010, 06:48 PM
Are we expected to see new data packs released for the iPad 3G like in the US?

Ecto1
10th February 2010, 07:16 PM
Yes, they say it be around June. Ether way I plan to go with Telstra for broadband. I have nothing bad to say about Voadafone with 3G it's not bad. But When I do use the 3G I want it to work. Vodafone is to patchy and Optus well, I think the iPad will brake their network.

dolbinau
10th February 2010, 07:31 PM
Yes, they say it be around June. Ether way I plan to go with Telstra for broadband. I have nothing bad to say about Voadafone with 3G it's not bad. But When I do use the 3G I want it to work. Vodafone is to patchy and Optus well, I think the iPad will brake their network.

It's interesting how you can use both 'brake' and 'break' and it makes sense. (Brake as in slow down and break as in destroy).

guy
10th February 2010, 09:41 PM
if you mean are there going to be data packs that are unique to the iPad, then...

my guess is that if the carriers treat it like a phone and sell it subsidised on a contract then there would be specific data plans (because it wouldn't be bundled with phone calls) - whether Apple allows them to lock it to the network remains to be seen

whereas if you can buy it unlocked and sign up to a plan then i'd think it more likely that the carriers would just offer their existing data plans as (micro)SIM-only. i do note that such a scenario is different to the US, but then we're going to be different to them anyway coz of likely choice of carrier and non-unlimited data.

skritter
10th February 2010, 11:02 PM
.....my guess is that if the carriers treat it like a phone and sell it subsidised on a contract .....

What makes you think Apple is going to let the Telco's sell it.

You wont be able to buy one from AT&T in the states. Apple is selling it direct from its retail stores and outlets - unlocked. And setting up the 3G connection will be able to be done directly from the iPad.

It will be sold like a computer or iPod.

decryption
11th February 2010, 06:06 AM
What makes you think Apple is going to let the Telco's sell it.

You wont be able to buy one from AT&T in the states. Apple is selling it direct from its retail stores and outlets - unlocked. And setting up the 3G connection will be able to be done directly from the iPad.

It will be sold like a computer or iPod.

Well Apple have stated that they're going to be working with telcos to sell specific packages for the device. I don't see why Apple can't sell it directly, unlocked in their usual channels *plus* the telco channels. More shops selling it! Besides, a $49/month 3GB of data $0 upfront iPad 24 month contract would be very appealing to a lot of people I reckon.

These deals won't be worked out until mid-year (again, according to Apple), so on launch day of the 3G model (late April), you won't be able to get them from a telco.

Renoman
11th February 2010, 10:55 AM
Optus just bought a whole stack of bandwidth to support its growth in data services - rapidly catching up on tel$tra

decryption
11th February 2010, 01:23 PM
Optus just bought a whole stack of bandwidth to support its growth in data services - rapidly catching up on tel$tra

Have you used an Optus device and a Telstra device side by side, in various locations? From my experience (in Melbourne), the gap between Optus and Telstra is so large, I doubt Optus will be catching up and should just plough all their money into LTE/4G and make that the best experience they can, rather than wasting money on 3G.

tcn33
11th February 2010, 01:26 PM
Optus will be catching up and should just plough all their money into LTE/4G

Optus - About Optus - SingTel Group to conduct LTE trials in Asia and Australia (http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/aboutoptus/menuitem.813c6f701cee5a14f0419f108c8ac7a0/?vgnextoid=5de4adfaa1605210VgnVCM10000002cd780aRCR D&vgnextchannel=233be6b0b0cee110VgnVCM10000002cd780a RCRD)

ozerus
11th February 2010, 02:35 PM

*snorts* yeah and I'm about to be birthed by a Rhino...

Optus is shit and it's going to remain shit until it invests massive amounts of money it should have been investing all along to catch up years ago.

I use optus for my iPhone, I'm lucky when a web page loads at anything within something mildly reasonable (ie, go make my self a coffee)

gamblor
13th February 2010, 04:08 PM

Optus is shit and it's going to remain shit until it invests massive amounts of money

The original quote states Optus IS investing money....and I have noticed an improvement over the past few months. A long way to go, yes, but an improvement.

marc
13th February 2010, 04:29 PM
I doubt Optus will be catching up and should just plough all their money into LTE/4G and make that the best experience they can, rather than wasting money on 3G.

+1

If they could do what Telstra did with NextG for LTE/4G and position themselves as a fast data network, I think they'd be onto a winner. Hey, they could probably even raise their prices slightly if they did it.